Well that is pretty cool. Congratulations.

Hope you don't think I am as dumb as a bag of hammers (don't answer!) but when I look at these courses I simply cannot figure out how you are supposed to manoeuvre around them. Cones everywhere, you seemed to have it all figured out. Very good.

Thanks for posting the video. Do you happen to know what the fast time was? Probably yours, and I will believe you.:thumbs::Biggrin:

Hope you don't think I am as dumb as a bag of hammers (don't answer!) but when I look at these courses I simply cannot figure out how you are supposed to manoeuvre around them. Cones everywhere, you seemed to have it all figured out. Very good.

Thanks for posting the video. Do you happen to know what the fast time was? Probably yours, and I will believe you.:thumbs::Biggrin:

Not a dumb question at all. You just walk the course a couple of times and figure it out. I was not the fastest time out of all the cars but I was one of the fastest in the Corvette category.

Looks like you had a great time!

Auto cross is a blast, only issue I find is that the courses are typically designed by guys driving smaller cars like miata's making the course typically a bit tight for a Corvette. Last time out I got my best time by never shifting out of 1st and turning the nannies off so I could drift the rear end in the really tight corners.

Reactions: VET-TRN
Looks like you had a great time!

Auto cross is a blast, only issue I find is that the courses are typically designed by guys driving smaller cars like miata's making the course typically a bit tight for a Corvette. Last time out I got my best time by never shifting out of 1st and turning the nannies off so I could drift the rear end in the really tight corners.
This track wasn't to bad. But I never took it out of second.

Reactions: smackYYZ

Not at all Murray. My thoughts exactly... I'd love to try auto cross, but I'm afraid I'd always take the wrong side of the cones.... thanks for posting Vet-Rn.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
JB and others...
Find some vacant pavement, acquire some cones and get out there and play...
You don't even need a timing device...it's all about the fun.
These cars were built to perform.

Graham

Graham, That is a good idea!

Issue is finding the blacktop that you can use without any issues. Here owners are very reluctant due to liability.

But I have about 20 cones! Have them from my days as a hockey coach, and also used them teaching my older kids to drive. Cones are a lot more forgiving the cars when learning to parallel park!

Issue is finding the blacktop that you can use without any issues. Here owners are very reluctant due to liability.

Smack...
I understand that locating pavement is a challenge.
Out here in the West, specifically the Lower Mainland(Vancouver) we are down to the use of one airport area of tarmac.
This area is booked every weekend by the various Racing clubs in town, UBCSCC, VCMC, BCCC, Porsche club, etc..
It is also used during the week for closed events for dealerships and Auto makers, BMW, Chrysler, etc.
The costs of these lots vary from $1200-$2500/day, depending whether you want a small area or to run a big course!
Back in the eighties, before Sunday shopping, we used to use shopping malls but that went away..
We then used a couple of the University parking lots on Sundays.. that ended when they realized they can, and should, use these 'schools' 7/365.

Liability issues are a real concern for the people controlling these lots.
As a group of competitors you may consider contacting an insurance agent to acquire liability insurance as a group.
Remember that this is not 'racing' and should be referred to as 'driver training' or 'skills improvement' exercises.

I can provide you with some basic rules on how to safely lay out a course if interested.
Some clubs usually run a Slalom School early in the Spring to introduce the hobby to new people.
No clocks allowed...just some driver training in a controlled environment.
When my sister bought her '04 Vette a few years ago I talked her into taking the Slalom School.
She learned a lot about what the car can do, but also improved her driving skills.

graham

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread