May 3, 2018
Aurora
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Stingray
I just joined, having received a new 2019 LT1 7-speed from my family for a birthday (and semi-retirement, truth be told) gift - and I've got my first stoopid kwestion.

What is the story behind this CAGS/skip shift thing? I ask because I get the DICS warning/advisement, but my LT1 actually doesn't skip the shifts - just the normal 1-> 2 -> 3 > 4. On all the online information I've seen, it seemed that the CAGS/skip shift wasn't a "suggestion", that the trans would force the 1 -> 4 shift step.

Based on the numerous complaints noted online, I'm guessing I should feel blessed. But I am wondering (a) if I have taken the online info the wrong way, and the skip shift is really just a suggestion for fuel economy, and (b) whether I should get it looked at or fixed soon in case damage could ensue (then worry about bypassing after it is fixed).

It isn't just me noticing the lack of skip shift, my son and brother in law have not experienced it in this car either.

480 Km on the clock now (after 3 weeks! - shameful, but weather hasn't been co-operating with my plans much).

Thanks,

L.L.C.

I rarely get the skip shift being invoked, but my experience is that it blocks access to straight down to 2nd and by nature it takes you to 4th because of your momentum. As soon as you leave the straight path to 2nd the block should be removed. I never go to 4th, but what I do is either push up and go to 3rd or pull back left and down to 2nd.

So my question would be is what is your shifting pattern. If when you shift from 1st to 2nd you let the shifter return to neutral then move to second that will defeat the skip shift and will work every time and nothing is broken. If you can go straight ten I would have it looked at.

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
I rarely get the skip shift being invoked, but my experience is that it blocks access to straight down to 2nd and by nature it takes you to 4th because of your momentum. As soon as you leave the straight path to 2nd the block should be removed. I never go to 4th, but what I do is either push up and go to 3rd or pull back left and down to 2nd.

So my question would be is what is your shifting pattern. If when you shift from 1st to 2nd you let the shifter return to neutral then move to second that will defeat the skip shift and will work every time and nothing is broken. If you can go straight ten I would have it looked at.

Thanks, information appreciated.

No, no pause between upshifts, or wiggling the stick in neutral. As noted, I do get the DICS notification on mild-to-moderate acceleration that the shifts are being skipped but it is lying to me, 1st to 2nd shift is effortless. Then of course to 3rd and beyond is not an issue in any way.

I guess I really should get it looked at, there is a decent (so I'm told) higher volume Corvette dealer, with good C7 mechanics, in Richmond Hill, Ont. just a few Km away and I'll likely take it in to them before I rack up too many more kilometers on it. My tinfoil hat is on, I know, but the car is still so new and I'm such a neophyte about this stuff that my paranoia about possible damage is playing on my mind.

Thanks for the info.

L.L.C.

I just joined, having received a new 2019 LT1 7-speed from my family for a birthday (and semi-retirement, truth be told) gift - and I've got my first stoopid kwestion.

What is the story behind this CAGS/skip shift thing? I ask because I get the DICS warning/advisement, but my LT1 actually doesn't skip the shifts - just the normal 1-> 2 -> 3 > 4. On all the online information I've seen, it seemed that the CAGS/skip shift wasn't a "suggestion", that the trans would force the 1 -> 4 shift step.

Based on the numerous complaints noted online, I'm guessing I should feel blessed. But I am wondering (a) if I have taken the online info the wrong way, and the skip shift is really just a suggestion for fuel economy, and (b) whether I should get it looked at or fixed soon in case damage could ensue (then worry about bypassing after it is fixed).

It isn't just me noticing the lack of skip shift, my son and brother in law have not experienced it in this car either.

480 Km on the clock now (after 3 weeks! - shameful, but weather hasn't been co-operating with my plans much).

Thanks,

L.L.C.

I found the skip shift is not very intrusive on the C7s. I had a C6 Z (2013) that was a real PITA with the skip shift coming on with even moderate acceleration at times and pretty much every time with light acceleration in 1st. The 2 C7 Zs I’ve owned are much less aggressive with this feature and rarely engages.
Smacks comments are bang on. If it does engage just let it go to 4th then quick to 3rd and back to second. Do not force it to 2nd as this will damage your transmission apparently.
There is a little harness you can buy and plug in to eliminate the skip shift. As it does not irritate me much on the C7s I never bothered and I don’t know if it has a warranty effect.

There is many little features with your C7 you will discover. Of course like many of us... the manual is the last resort for information. Way more fun getting it here as it usually comes with tons of free comedy. ;)

I agree with Smack, Mine is a 2017 Z06 , the skip shift seems to come on if driving “leisurely” i.e. shifting at lower RPM. it does not come on if I am shifting at higher RPM. Maybe a cop out but I’ve gotten into the habit of going 1-3-5 while “cruising”. First time I drove it I thought WTH, can’t get into 2?... then noticed the DIC message. I don’t recall if it changes with Tour/Sport/Track setting? When weather gets nicer I’ll have to revisit and see. I assume that as long as you are not forcing the shifter no damage will be done, but let us know if dealer says anything. :canada:

Ditto on the above comments. Accelerate more aggressively and the shift will allow you to go to 2nd or whatever you want. Accelerate leisurely and the system will "force" you to shift from 1st to 4th. This is for gas economy. I had my car tuned so the 1-4 shift has been deleted. I usually go from 1st to 3rd. Enjoy your b-day/retirement present. All I got was a card.:Cryin:

Thanks, information appreciated.

No, no pause between upshifts, or wiggling the stick in neutral. As noted, I do get the DICS notification on mild-to-moderate acceleration that the shifts are being skipped but it is lying to me, 1st to 2nd shift is effortless. Then of course to 3rd and beyond is not an issue in any way.

I guess I really should get it looked at, there is a decent (so I'm told) higher volume Corvette dealer, with good C7 mechanics, in Richmond Hill, Ont. just a few Km away and I'll likely take it in to them before I rack up too many more kilometers on it. My tinfoil hat is on, I know, but the car is still so new and I'm such a neophyte about this stuff that my paranoia about possible damage is playing on my mind.

Thanks for the info.

L.L.C.

If your shifting pattern is 'normal' whatever that is these days, I'd definitely have it looked at. You may have a faulty solenoid in the tranny. Not a big deal to fix. On the plus side you no longer have to pay someone to tune out CAGS but still you don't want that solenoid giving you trouble down the road so go give that warranty a nice warmup.

I've been driving a 2019 Grand Sport, 7-spd, for the past two weeks. I can confirm exactly what a few have stated above. If acceleration is slow and leisurely, the system will attempt to push from 1st to 4th. However, there is no issue whatsoever 'pushing' back on the system into 2nd gear, and continue on your way. When using more aggressive acceleration the tranny will move into 2nd gear without any 'system' interference. And there is no damage being done to the gears or tranny by moving from 1st to 2nd even though the system is trying to take you to 4th, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you experience the 1st-to-4th move during more aggressive acceleration, cause that should NOT happen.

I've been driving a 2019 Grand Sport, 7-spd, for the past two weeks. I can confirm exactly what a few have stated above. If acceleration is slow and leisurely, the system will attempt to push from 1st to 4th. However, there is no issue whatsoever 'pushing' back on the system into 2nd gear, and continue on your way. When using more aggressive acceleration the tranny will move into 2nd gear without any 'system' interference. And there is no damage being done to the gears or tranny by moving from 1st to 2nd even though the system is trying to take you to 4th, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you experience the 1st-to-4th move during more aggressive acceleration, cause that should NOT happen.

Thanks, Crinks! It seems I'm not the only one who notices the "fuel economy 1 => 4 upshift" message in the DIC when I wasn't having a problem going straight from first to second (which takes away some level of anxiety that I'm screwing things up, or breaking something). From all the various forum posts in the U.S., etc., plus the plethora of work-arounds to get rid of this condition that are being sold, I thought for sure that the 1 => 4 skip shift wasn't just a suggestion, but some kind of gating effect which forced the skip, as you noted at lower rates of acceleration. Perhaps the beefs were on previous years, or previous models, and it got changed at some point?

I will still look into it just for giggles, and will post my findings after I get some answers.

L.L.C.

My '17 Z51 just turned over 1000km. The 1-4 skip shift has been very apparent to me. I've found about 50% of the time that the skip shift notification appears it tries to force me into 4th. When it does that, I find it slides me into neutral above 4th, then I go back over left and down into 2nd. Adds enough time to the shift that the revs have dropped too far for a smooth shift. I might look into a delete kit since it is annoying, and generally when it forces you into 4th is when you least want to be a gear that tall.

If my trans weren't doing it, I certainly wouldn't be getting it fixed, but that's just me.

I found the skip shift is not very intrusive on the C7s. I had a C6 Z (2013) that was a real PITA with the skip shift coming on with even moderate acceleration at times and pretty much every time with light acceleration in 1st. The 2 C7 Zs I’ve owned are much less aggressive with this feature and rarely engages.
Smacks comments are bang on. If it does engage just let it go to 4th then quick to 3rd and back to second. Do not force it to 2nd as this will damage your transmission apparently.
There is a little harness you can buy and plug in to eliminate the skip shift. As it does not irritate me much on the C7s I never bothered and I don’t know if it has a warranty effect.

There is many little features with your C7 you will discover. Of course like many of us... the manual is the last resort for information. Way more fun getting it here as it usually comes with tons of free comedy. ;)
I found the same with my C7, not as intrusive as my C6. The few times it was prodding me to go to 4th I’d just go to 3rd. There’s enough torque to take it away.

Oddly enough, I have never had a problem with the skip shift. Only ever experienced it a couple times in three years with my C6 and have never had it happen yet in my C7.

My '17 Z51 just turned over 1000km. The 1-4 skip shift has been very apparent to me. I've found about 50% of the time that the skip shift notification appears it tries to force me into 4th. When it does that, I find it slides me into neutral above 4th, then I go back over left and down into 2nd. Adds enough time to the shift that the revs have dropped too far for a smooth shift. I might look into a delete kit since it is annoying, and generally when it forces you into 4th is when you least want to be a gear that tall.

If my trans weren't doing it, I certainly wouldn't be getting it fixed, but that's just me.
Did you try the rev match? If you pause too long during the shift it won't activate even if it's on. I have read to turn it on, as it helps protect the tranny and motor from over or under revs when changing gears. This may help with the skip shifts as well.

• Useful
As far as I know, Rev match doesn't do anything when upshifting....

The rev match is active for both down and up shifts. It will prevent the RPM from dropping too far on a lazy upshift.
Not sure I’ve noticed it on the upshift as I’m very comfortable with a manual gearbox. Especially the M7 which I find exeptional on the street and the track. Ok maybe fun is a better way to describe the gearbox for me.

Not at all sure if the skip shift is somehow connected to the rev match feature but for sure I’m going to experiment now. It seems plausible as the rev match will quickly pull the RPM down to the idle level RPM to easily go to 4th. But really?? If your already going that slow and below 2500 or 3000 RPM where I think the threshold of the skip shift is... can rev match really be at all practical or even noticeable?
All in all though.... anything that protects the transmission and slop on the driveline has to be a good thing for us no matter what skill level one has in manual shifts. We all have to admit we screw up shifts sometimes. :Biggrin:

Not read all posts yet, but would 1 to 4 not stall engines?

No not at all the C7 and the C6 Zs have the torque to easily go from 1st to 4th.
I haven’t had anything but Z06s so the other guys will have to chime in in the Stingrays. However at 460 HP for the C7 Stingray likely not an issue.

Good question though. And frankly it feels wrong when it happens.

D

Reactions: Rruuff Day and ojm
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.