Sep 29, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2021 HTC
Province
NS
Getting my first service done this week. I have about 8000 km's on 2021 HTC. I am getting the oil and oil filter changed, and will also be getting the transmission filter changed. So my understanding is the oil change is covered by GM and I have to pay for the trans filter and labour. To those that have had the trans filter changed, what is it costing to get trans filter changed?

Thanks.

Wade

I don't know the price but if you do it at 8000km, you have to do it again at 12000km to make sure all the wear as been done. Refer to the attached post.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210828-100222_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210828-100222_Chrome.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: motordr
I don't know the price but if you do it at 8000km, you have to do it again at 12000km to make sure all the wear as been done. Refer to the attached post.
I think it's relative. They are saying don't do it at 2000 miles. 8000 kms is plenty of time to get most of the DCCT wear products out of the car IMO.
GM says that to be safe, but it's an average really. I'm planning on getting mine done before the 12000 kms also.

Reactions: Maximus74
From info on the other Corvette forum, it looks like some people were getting the transmission filter flush and filter service done early when they had problems with shifting which appeared to be due to dirt in the valve body. They were getting the service done around 3500 miles (5600 kms). So I am thinking that I will be good at 8000 kms.

Anyone have any info on cost to flush and change trans filter.

Thanks.

Wade

From info on the other Corvette forum, it looks like some people were getting the transmission filter flush and filter service done early when they had problems with shifting which appeared to be due to dirt in the valve body. They were getting the service done around 3500 miles (5600 kms). So I am thinking that I will be good at 8000 kms.

Anyone have any info on cost to flush and change trans filter.

Thanks.

Wade
The filter alone is about $200 I believe

Getting my first service done this week. I have about 8000 km's on 2021 HTC. I am getting the oil and oil filter changed, and will also be getting the transmission filter changed. So my understanding is the oil change is covered by GM and I have to pay for the trans filter and labour. To those that have had the trans filter changed, what is it costing to get trans filter changed?

Thanks.

Wade
I thought the trans filter replacement was free if requested under 12000 kms and under 1 yr. That's how it is for a 2022. Maybe 2021 has different rules?

I thought the trans filter replacement was free if requested under 12000 kms and under 1 yr. That's how it is for a 2022. Maybe 2021 has different rules?
2020 and 2021 don't get it free. I don't believe we've had confirmation that CDN 2022's get it free either have we?

Was at Cullen this morning to get the engine oil, filter and DCT filter replaced was quoted $550 for the DCT filter replacement . They did not have the DCT filter in stock. It is kit that includes the filter, o ring , and 4 new bolts, all included in the box. A search of surrounding dealers came up blank, so they had to order it from GM. Apparently is will take 4-5 days
If you are going to get this done, ask if there are DCT filter kits in stock or you will have to go back.

Reactions: Maximus74
I'm surprised at frankmp's posting above since I paid about $184 + environmental fee + gst, for each of the 2 DCT filters I bought for my 2020 C8 from the same KippScottBuyGMParts.ca but that was some time ago: before I even took delivery. Is it the correct filter? I'm told there are 2 filters on the DCT: the drop-down one that needs to be replaced at 12,000 km and an "in-line" filter.

More recently and with 12,000 km on my C8, I called the 3 dealers in Edmonton who sell more Corvettes and the prices they quoted for the DCT filter change (NOT changing out all the fluid or adding the 2 litres for track use) were around $850, $750 and $650 all in...that included a DCT filter for just about $293...and the highest one quoted me 2.4 hours labour which is supposedly specified in the GM guide, whatever that is. Being "an old dog" I asked if the 2.4 hours were specified in the Chilton guide but was told no; the GM guide.

There are YouTube videos showing how to change it; it's not hard to do for the DIY crowd. I'd planned to but I'm too *!#!*%$# busy at work these days.

So my advice is to call around; you may find a lower price elsewhere. You should also confirm they'll replace the fluid lost when dropping the DCT filter. The manual suggests it be replaced and with a few people having transmission problems, it's likely best to do so even though it's not a lot of fluid when looking at the YouTube videos...although there could be fluid retained in the filter itself. Hope this helps.

I'm surprised at frankmp's posting above since I paid about $184 + environmental fee + gst, for each of the 2 DCT filters I bought for my 2020 C8 from the same KippScottBuyGMParts.ca but that was some time ago: before I even took delivery. Is it the correct filter? I'm told there are 2 filters on the DCT: the drop-down one that needs to be replaced at 12,000 km and an "in-line" filter.

More recently and with 12,000 km on my C8, I called the 3 dealers in Edmonton who sell more Corvettes and the prices they quoted for the DCT filter change (NOT changing out all the fluid or adding the 2 litres for track use) were around $850, $750 and $650 all in...that included a DCT filter for just about $293...and the highest one quoted me 2.4 hours labour which is supposedly specified in the GM guide, whatever that is. Being "an old dog" I asked if the 2.4 hours were specified in the Chilton guide but was told no; the GM guide.

There are YouTube videos showing how to change it; it's not hard to do for the DIY crowd. I'd planned to but I'm too *!#!*%$# busy at work these days.

So my advice is to call around; you may find a lower price elsewhere. You should also confirm they'll replace the fluid lost when dropping the DCT filter. The manual suggests it be replaced and with a few people having transmission problems, it's likely best to do so even though it's not a lot of fluid when looking at the YouTube videos...although there could be fluid retained in the filter itself. Hope this helps.
2.4 hours sounds right. They pad the hours so the slowest tech (Like there is one) can do it.
BTW, I would not recommend doing the first change yourself. There are issues it seems with the DCT that GM has reported to NHTSA. Here is an article on it

I believe that GM is now recommending that the transmission be flushed as part of the filter change procedure which requires that the vehicle be hooked up to the GM computer to open the valves in the transmission during the flush, so it appears that it is not a DIY job. This info is from the other Corvette forum.

OK, so I got my trans filter changed yesterday. I had the oil and filter changed and some recalls taken care of at the same time. Time to change the trans filter was 1.9 hours. I had ordered the trans filter ($136) from Scott Kipp Chev as my dealer was not sure that they could get one in before the date of my service appointment. When I dropped off the car with the service writer I told him to ensure that the Corvette tech did the trans flush as per recent TSB. When I picked up my C8 the service writer told me that they changed the trans fluid and put in new 12 litres at $35 per litre. I told him that I did not ask for a trans fluid change, only that the GM flush procedure be performed before the trans filter change. So I got a free trans fluid change. Total cost for just the trans filter change would have been $550 (trans filter, one litre of trans fluid, 1.9 hours of labour).

Reactions: OL Yeller
OK, so I got my trans filter changed yesterday. I had the oil and filter changed and some recalls taken care of at the same time. Time to change the trans filter was 1.9 hours. I had ordered the trans filter ($136) from Scott Kipp Chev as my dealer was not sure that they could get one in before the date of my service appointment. When I dropped off the car with the service writer I told him to ensure that the Corvette tech did the trans flush as per recent TSB. When I picked up my C8 the service writer told me that they changed the trans fluid and put in new 12 litres at $35 per litre. I told him that I did not ask for a trans fluid change, only that the GM flush procedure be performed before the trans filter change. So I got a free trans fluid change. Total cost for just the trans filter change would have been $550 (trans filter, one litre of trans fluid, 1.9 hours of labour).
Pardon my ignorance but isn't a tranny fluid flush the same as a fluid change?

Pardon my ignorance but isn't a tranny fluid flush the same as a fluid change?
Well that would have been my common sense thought as well, but reading posts on the US Corvette forum, it appears it is just circulation of the same fluid within the transmission and using the diagnostic computer to work the valves in the transmission. I did not have time to fully research this before taking my C8 in for the trans filter change.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.