Power User
Mar 27, 2019
Bonnyville
VetteCoins
Car
70th #1259
Province
AB
So today was my first time driving (or riding) in a C7. I know I am late to the party as the C8 is out and about, but forgive an old man the odd indiscretion.

Wow. Holy Shite.Bazzinga.

‘The convertible is quiet top up, and quieter with the roof off than my old C6. The ease of the convertible was equally as nice. The cabin does feel a little “closed in” with the roof up, but with the roof down it’s a pure roadster.

What a lovely motor. My C6 sounded like it was screaming as the revs increased, but this engine wants to rev. Yes it’s break in so our gear changes never exceeded about 3800 rpm. The power band is different than my 2013 as well and this car pulls harder. Let’s not even mention the Andrea Bocelli baritones coming out of the tailpipes in Sport mode. No drone but deep rumble which cracks nicely on the downshift. Speaking of downshifting, let’s talk rev match. Way cool. Nuff said.

The ride in Sport is firm but not harsh. Mother preferred Touring setting. As you might expect we then spent most of the day in Touring setting. Track was harsh.

The tech is superb and put my 2013 to shame. In 6 years (or less) Chevy did themselves proud. My problem is how to make it all work together.

A question that I have yet to resolve in my mind is WTF 7th gear. 1600 RPM in 6th gear at 122 kmh. I am assuming most use 7th as a glorified overdrive. One constant, that will take time is the downshift from 7th to 6th. It likes to slip into 4th.
99C02295-0F2B-43D8-B3CA-8E1359EB6FCF.jpeg
FFAD6760-0485-4F57-BD13-7D3C6C0BED37.jpeg
F516D73C-126D-440D-B882-A3ACDAA44C5E.jpeg

200 kilometers later and no buyers remorse. It was a gorgeous day.

So today was my first time driving (or riding) in a C7. I know I am late to the party as the C8 is out and about, but forgive an old man the odd indiscretion.

‘The convertible is quiet top up, and quieter with the roof off than my old C6. The ease of the convertible was equally as nice. The cabin does feel a little “closed in” with the roof up, but with the roof down it’s a pure roadster.

What a lovely motor. My C6 sounded like it was screaming as the revs increased, but this engine wants to rev. Yes it’s break in so our gear changes never exceeded about 3800 rpm. The power band is different than my 2013 as well and this car pulls harder. Let’s not even mention the Andrea Bocelli baritones coming out of the tailpipes in Sport mode. No drone but deep rumble which cracks nicely on the downshift. Speaking of downshifting, let’s talk rev match. Way cool. Nuff said.

The ride in Sport is firm but not harsh. Mother preferred Touring setting. As you might expect we then spent most of the day in Touring setting. Track was harsh.

The tech is superb and put my 2013 to shame. In 6 years (or less) Chevy did themselves proud. My problem is how to make it all work together.

A question that I have yet to resolve in my mind is WTF 7th gear. 1600 RPM in 6th gear at 122 kmh. I am assuming most use 7th as a glorified overdrive. One constant, that will take time is the downshift from 7th to 6th. It likes to slip into 4th. View attachment 39024View attachment 39025View attachment 39026

lol.... In all our discussions about buying this, I knew you would be smiling. As a previous C6 owner, the improvements all around are undeniable. Yes. rev match is a very kewl feature and the power band is much more linear than the LS3 engine. Yeah... 7th gear is a QE2, set the cruise and forget about driving for a few hundred kilometers, but if you're like me and never use Eco mode for the 4 cyl shutdown, 7th does bump up the fuel mileage. You will get use to the shift. It took me a few miles but I never miss anymore. I find it helps to pistol grip the stick as opposed to the hand on top ....
Glad you're happy Al... Whenever I am asked for input, there's always a little trepidation that someone may not be happy.... But I was 99.9% sure you would be... Enjoy...

Al you can use the settings in the Infotainment screen to set your exhaust to remain as loud or quiet as you like regardless of the driving mode you are in. In case you want to soft ride but want to keep the nice exhaust notes. :thumbs:

Reactions: Cariboocreek
OUCH! For a wanna-be C8 owner that's now worried it won't happen until 2021...and after seeing LOTS of 2019 C7 Z06's here in Edmonton with a $25,000 off MSRP asking price tag, and with Spring fever fully kicked in with the outside temperatures going up and staying up...your great story is tempting me to look again at a C7.

And yes, beautiful car, acreage, etc. AND nice lift in the garage...a sure sign of a "car nut".

Thanks for sharing!

A question that I have yet to resolve in my mind is WTF 7th gear. 1600 RPM in 6th gear at 122 kmh. I am assuming most use 7th as a glorified overdrive. One constant, that will take time is the downshift from 7th to 6th. It likes to slip into 4th. View attachment 39024View attachment 39025View attachment 39026

Wow the car is beautiful. The LS7 I had in my 13Z pulled very nice at low RPM. Which feels very much like the N/A engine in your new car.

And yes 7th gear just doesn't seem to have much of a purpose and is a pain to actually use. But it's very likely you will want 4th coming down anyway. Passing or heading into some corners... :Biggrin:

@Cariboocreek. You made me look twice as your signature shows a C7 GS as does the picture. I assume you bought it and never had the chance to drive it. Drove mine once, but tomorrow I take it to get the plastic film installed plus today I installed my ACS front's and GM rear extended splash guards. Did not want to drive without them.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
@Cariboocreek. You made me look twice as your signature shows a C7 GS as does the picture. I assume you bought it and never had the chance to drive it. Drove mine once, but tomorrow I take it to get the plastic film installed plus today I installed my ACS front's and GM rear extended splash guards. Did not want to drive without them.
It was trailered to the house in January(ish). Never drove it until today. No regrets. I did the ACS XL front and rear splashguards. And had a bunch of the car wrapped earlier.

I added the ACS front and GM rear splash guards, but I'm disappointed with the quality of the ACS. Poor molding and I spent time cleaning the rough edges before I could install them.

The ACS XL splash guards are exactly like factory parts just wider. Much better design and build quality than the extended models.

Al you can use the settings in the Infotainment screen to set your exhaust to remain as loud or quiet as you like regardless of the driving mode you are in. In case you want to soft ride but want to keep the nice exhaust notes. :thumbs:
Eco mode set with track for exhaust. Nothing like banging on all 4 cylinders...lol.

Nice to see that you were able to get out for a drive Al. I'd sure like to get my car back from Arizona and do the same. A word of caution on divining in track mode on the streets around here with all the pot holes to try and avoid the cracked wheel syndrome.
Cheers

A word to the wise regards TRACK mode. The information that we received from Ron Fellows Racing School was TRACK mode is not meant to be driven on the streets as they are harsh in the spring and the pot holes will cause broken rims. This is due to the firmness in Track mode (mag ride)
Like C SEVEN BOB GS stated.

Reactions: Dik
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread