Featured Thread
Dec 3, 2014
Meadow Lake/Lions Bay
VetteCoins
Car
C7 Z06/07 & NSX
As most of you know, there is a lot of interest in the car enthusiast world surrounding the "saving of the manual". I can't deny that shifting gears in a manual provides a level of driver involvement that I simply don't get with my A8 Z06/07. But...........wait a minute..........perhaps.........just perhaps..........there is a time and place where a similar amount of satisfaction can be gained from listening to the seamless shifts of the A8? I say "listening" because the shifts are so quick and so smooth that they are imperceptible in terms of "lurching" etc. I was pulling out of my employee parking lot yesterday on the snow and ice as the A8 shifted from 1st to 2nd to 3rd maintaining traction for me through all the gears, while I marveled at how I would never have been able to do that in a manual. I smiled and felt a great deal of satisfaction at that moment with my choice in transmission. I'm still disappointed with the responsiveness of the paddle shifters, but when it comes to situations such as the one I described, or when you simply want to drink your coffee and have one hand free to hold your "to go mug", yes.............I do believe you can find satisfaction in an automatic............I never thought I'd say that!!!!!!!!

Excellent post!

Yes for sure there are times I wish I only had 2 pedals. Heavy traffic being the main one. It’s interesting to read your take on the A8 as there is certainly plenty of performance arguments in support of the A8 as a better transmission choice. However yours is the first time (congratulations) I have seen the snow and ice driving situation used to support the superior performance of the A8 over the M7.
I would have to agree that the A8 would be massively better in this situation.
I however will not be experiencing the M7 snow and ice driving so I’m still thrilled to be shifting my car.
Besides I have the H1 for the snow and ice. And yes... it has an automatic transmission. 😂

It is truly unbelievable how it maintains grip on snow and ice by shifting up so quickly and keeping the rpms below 2000. Oddly enough I don't use the weather mode with the snowflake as I've found the TC too intrusive. It works much better in Tour Sport or Track 😁

Reactions: ddgermann
I will add that while I do miss shifting gears when the road opens up I'm happy with the A8 most other times particularly in rush hour on the DVP. The Borla X pipe has really enhanced the sound when in manual and you rev the car out in each gear--it sounds great.

I will add that while I do miss shifting gears when the road opens up I'm happy with the A8 most other times particularly in rush hour on the DVP. The Borla X pipe has really enhanced the sound when in manual and you rev the car out in each gear--it sounds great.
Yeah, I am strongly considering the addition of the Borla X pipe this next summer. I have to wait and see what I think of the C8 before I put any more money into my Z06 because I might end up trading it in. If I'm not sold on the C8 then the Borla X pipe will be added.

Reactions: lupo and ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.