Jan 1, 2014
Awards
Calgary AB
VetteCoins
Car
77 Corvette L82
Province
AB
Car looks awesome. Been there done that with special tri-colour Crimson Pearl paint on my 1928 Ford closed cab pick up street rod. Luckily for me had a friend who owns a body shop and he is a PPG authorized mix shop. So after I had spent 5,000 hours building, he painted my truck and all its pieces separately, therefore I had none of your problems. As the others here have said about the paint shop's lack of responsibilty it is terrible, but you still have a beautiful and very exclusive car.
By the way, I hope you put "anti seize" on your stainless bolts. If not, I suggest you remove them and add anti seize, otherwise you may have problems down the road if you have to remove them. They will lock so bad the bolt will break before you can remove the nut. By the way your idea of bluing them is totally unique. Well done, it is the detailing that counts!
View attachment 87718

View attachment 87717

View attachment 87716
Thank you very much!!! For the positive words as well as the great advice. I was worried about the stainless bolts as you are right they may experience galvanic corrosion. I was planning on using anti seize but I completely forgot!

Awesome job! Could we get a little video of the car so we can hear her?
Thanks Matt. I will post a video of it once I get the car back and the dash installed.

Reactions: 12cents

nascar03

Power User
Jan 27, 2009
Awards
Township of Langley, BC
VetteCoins
Car
1975 coupe/2003 vert
Province
BC
Hi Cody… What an incredible job you have done .
I LOVE that car. Great colour, nice stance, well executed.
I’ve been following this on FB as well.
thanx for taking us on this ride.

graham

Jr. Corvette

Regular
Jan 1, 2014
Awards
Calgary AB
VetteCoins
Car
77 Corvette L82
Province
AB
Thanks for all the positive words guys.

The car is currently at the body shop and unfortunately things aren't going great. I was given the estimate of $500 to repair the front seam. After the owner of the shop saw the car he said it looked worse then he thought so it would cost more to repair that than he estimated. I came down to the shop and after talking with the painters decided to just leave it and I would fix it and prime it over the winter and bring it back in the spring. My dad told me to consider getting it done because I would have to pay for another round trip of it being towed. So I asked the owner of the shop to provide me an estimate. He called me the next day and told me not to worry as it wouldn't be much more than he estimated just a few hours of labor more. He also told me he would give me a price later that day. Later that day he sent me a picture of my car already ground down and fiberglassed and never gave me a price or had my consent to start work. About a week later of them working on it, the car is all filled and sanded and just about ready for paint. I get a text from him with a picture of the car and he tells me he will give me the price later that day. He comes back and says it will be $2500. He said they were actually at $3200 but he would cap it at $2500 for me. Naturally I was shocked and told him it was more than I expected and that he never gave me this price before he started the work. I said this nicely of course as they still have my car and I want to get it back in one piece. He replied rather coarsely but said he'd drop the price to $2100 and told me this would be the last restoration project his shop did. After another text of stating that I was never told a price and that I saved him labor repainting and correcting all the over spray on the rear suspension and how I came by the shop and spent an hour removing all the body parts they needed to paint the car he said, "How about you take the car as is and we call it even." Wow, so take the car now in filler on the front end as is and call it even?? I reluctantly agreed to the $2100 and told him to just paint the car.

So, now I'm stuck paying $2100 for work I never consented to and for a price I was never given. Not a bad price but I really wasn't prepared to spend that right now as I've barely worked 40 hours in the past month. I'm also worried about the car now if his response was to just take the car as is. I almost regret saying anything at all for fear of them destroying my car. I just hope it's done properly and I can get it back in one piece.

Attachments

• 656019717.jpg
    656019717.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 16

Rruuff Day

Never wrestle with a pig.
Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
Awards
Pine Lake, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
C7 3LT ZF1
Province
AB
Thanks for all the positive words guys.

The car is currently at the body shop and unfortunately things aren't going great. I was given the estimate of $500 to repair the front seam. After the owner of the shop saw the car he said it looked worse then he thought so it would cost more to repair that than he estimated. I came down to the shop and after talking with the painters decided to just leave it and I would fix it and prime it over the winter and bring it back in the spring. My dad told me to consider getting it done because I would have to pay for another round trip of it being towed. So I asked the owner of the shop to provide me an estimate. He called me the next day and told me not to worry as it wouldn't be much more than he estimated just a few hours of labor more. He also told me he would give me a price later that day. Later that day he sent me a picture of my car already ground down and fiberglassed and never gave me a price or had my consent to start work. About a week later of them working on it, the car is all filled and sanded and just about ready for paint. I get a text from him with a picture of the car and he tells me he will give me the price later that day. He comes back and says it will be $2500. He said they were actually at $3200 but he would cap it at $2500 for me. Naturally I was shocked and told him it was more than I expected and that he never gave me this price before he started the work. I said this nicely of course as they still have my car and I want to get it back in one piece. He replied rather coarsely but said he'd drop the price to $2100 and told me this would be the last restoration project his shop did. After another text of stating that I was never told a price and that I saved him labor repainting and correcting all the over spray on the rear suspension and how I came by the shop and spent an hour removing all the body parts they needed to paint the car he said, "How about you take the car as is and we call it even." Wow, so take the car now in filler on the front end as is and call it even?? I reluctantly agreed to the $2100 and told him to just paint the car.

So, now I'm stuck paying $2100 for work I never consented to and for a price I was never given. Not a bad price but I really wasn't prepared to spend that right now as I've barely worked 40 hours in the past month. I'm also worried about the car now if his response was to just take the car as is. I almost regret saying anything at all for fear of them destroying my car. I just hope it's done properly and I can get it back in one piece.
Sorry to hear all this Cody. Too little too late we sometimes get burned in life. Shame it was this big ticket item for you. But, we live and learn. Get your baby, do whatever you need to do to finish it and put this behind you.

SN3

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
Awards
YYC & YEG & YFC
VetteCoins
Car
2016 & 2017 3LT Z51
Wow Cody ….
Hold on to the course of decision(s) that you make with a “gut feel”. Yes, we all like a reduced price response as long as it comes with the assurance of no compromise(s) whatsoever. I pray 🙏🏻 you can come out of this experience with a higher level of acceptability than what it might feel for you at this moment. Those who you know well in your Corvette Circle will never be critical of this restoration endeavour that you have managed.
The Business you are employing for refinishing will have more to lose by not satisfying you. To be even hinted by the owner that the relationship will end - will be is to his detriment with loss of referrals alone. Referrals can bring more income to a business than the value of a single project-at-hand. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Fred J

Casual User
Oct 23, 2016
Awards
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 1973 & 1976
Province
ON
What a fantastic ride Cody, following along on your posts. I learned a lot and makes me want to finally do something with my other C3. The mods you came up with and the way you accomplished them were something to be very proud of. The effort, work and attention to detail was fantastic. Well done my man! Can't wait to see it on the road....

Users who are viewing this thread