Jun 8, 2012
Edmonton AB
VetteCoins
Car
No Corvette :(
OK, eating lunch...... thought maybe post it now.

Now, I might edit and tweak the odd wording or add more info - route will stay like it is now.

I am gonna try email everyone this info - maybe tomorrow night or tonight if I get time.

IMPORTANT - Please everyone buy park pass and print at home 1-3 days before the weekend / saves us time not stopping at the gate

Link to buy below - please use this online link to get a 1 day pass for Aug 18th... lasts till 4pm Sunday August 19th
Purchase a Banff National Park Online Parks Pass

2018 Corvette Mountain Cruise

Aug 17th – 19th, 2018

FINAL DRAFT

OK, info and tips

Radio channels

5-3 (first year of the Corvette) quiet channel – announcements only

6-3 social channel (tell jokes, lots of chatting) to make the drive more exciting

Brian contact 780-993-3687 if need to call me

Bring bug spray and sunscreen

Alberta Corvettes (a Facebook group) inside and outside decals will be for sale at the drivers meeting. Nathan needs to sell $250 more to break even on his costs.

Agenda

Friday night

Stay in Cochrane or any where’s in the Calgary area

Evng social will be at Boston Pizza 1 block north of hotel. 7pm – 10pm Probably the restaurant as Bills daughter Brooklyn iS not old enough for the bar

Cochrane Car Washes

Car Wash Coral 102 River Ave Cochrane T4C 2C3 7am – 10pm

Mountain view Car and Truck Wash 620 – 1st St W Cochrane T4C 1Z6 8AM – 9PM

Sat am

Cochrane ( Leave location Cochrane Days Inn ) 5 Westside Dr, Cochrane, AB T4C 1M1

Make sure gas tank is full in Cochrane before leaving ( You can top off at the Husky or Petro Can in Lake Louise )

8am – Breakfast at Smitty’s across to the east

9:00am - Group get together – name tags, hand out flyers with route and info for the weekend ( head / car count )

9:10am – Drivers meeting

9:30 am – Leave Cochrane for Banff on 1A all the way to Canmore

10:15am arrive Exshaw – some drivers may pull over to wait for others

10:20-25 Leave Exshaw

IMPORTANT - Please everyone buy park pass and print at home 1-3 days before the weekend / saves us time not stopping at the gate

Link to buy below - please use this online link to get a 1 day pass for Aug 18th... lasts till 4pm Sunday August 19th
Purchase a Banff National Park Online Parks Pass

10:45-11am area Arrive in Banff ( 110 km ) Turn left and drive the tunnel mountain road and drive and over by the overlook to the Banff Springs Hotel ( Banff surprise corner ) and down Buffalo street to down main street Banff and out the east side. 10 min stop just before leaving town

11:20am Now, when we get to main street Banff.... I will be leading and gonna try stop traffic so we call all merge onto Banff Ave at the same time... Ziggy's idea... good one! it should work unless someone runs into my ZR1 LOL ... I will direct them to the inside lane..... my camera on top of my car will be recording everyone turning on main street banff.

Now, As all the cars go by I will count our cars to keep track of any that might do a bathroom break.

11:30am We will pull over after the hotels ( small stretch with no buildings – just trees ) and all regroup and leave out the east side of Banff and head west. We changed from going out the west side as Ziggy said the train tracks were rough.... I didn't know in his CR-V... LOL

NOW, anyone needed a bathroom break should stop at the Shell gas station or someplace along Banff Ave, please be quick.

11:45am or so – leave Banff

3-5 minutes west of Banff take 1A exit to drive Bow Valley Parkway ( don’t miss it – Ziggy joke, he almost missed it )

1A is a slower drive so will take approx 45 min to get to Lake Louise / speed traps on 1A at times

12:45pm – arrive at Mountain Restaurant 200 Village Rd, Lake Louise, AB T0L 1E0

mountainrestaurant.ca

(403) 522-3573

2pm -2:15pm Drive from Mountain Restaurant to Hwy 1 west then take the pullout to the Spiral Tunnels. We will try do our best to get a long row photo shoot or might be just me videoing everyone if no parking and we do a drive through – I will get ahead of the group and park and announce on radio if you stop or not if parking is full

2:30-2:40pm approx – leave Spiral Tunnel lot and head west to Golden BC

3:15pm or so arrive Golden.

15 minute drive to Kickinghorse Resort.

3:30-4pm area – arrive, check in or head to one of the below and check in after

Now best for us to park in the area west of check in – it is a sales area for something there I think… follow me.

*Now, the last chairlift for the Grizzly Bear refuge ( Boo ) leaves at 4pm. Now IF you wish to go see the bear you would need to arrive by 3:30pm or so. I will be asking a show of hands who wishes to go see him, it is about a $30 cost ( $25 seniors ) and has a tour guide talking

Now last chairlift to top of the mountain is 4:30pm for a price of about $40.00 ( Banff is $63 each )

You can choose if you wish to do the Bear Retreat or head to the top of the mountain to enjoy the views and walk around.

Parking - both hotels have underground parking – they said this will save areas in the parkades for us. there was an open lot just west of Glacier Lodge not used Saturday night ( business closed ) and there is a few parking lots too but didn't care for them.

Break to unwind / freshen up - in your rooms

NOTE: Mountaineer Lodge has a General Store in the SE corner facing the mountain - it is only open till 7:30pm / they have munchies, booze, food and other things if you need, get there before it closes.

6pm – Dinner locations ... you can eat where ever you wish

My recommendation is Winston Bar or Copper Horse Steak House - both located a half block west of Glacier Lodge and then turn right south after a playground and a half block south.

Copper Horse Steakhouse | Kicking Horse Resort Fine Dining | Golden BC

Copper Horse Steakhouse
The Copper Horse Steakhouse provides a casual, yet unparalleled mountain dining experience that is inspired by locally sourced food and wines from British Columbia.

Here you can sample the best of the Rocky Mountain Cuisine such as Elk, Bison, Beef, and Salmon.

We are conveniently located at Copper Horse Lodge, Kicking Horse Mountain Resort.

One could be these.....below
The Kicking Horse Saloon
Come to our classic western saloon or family restaurant. We offer tasty homestyle meals and a wonderful selection of microbrew beers, wines and spirits. Have fun playing board games or our famous Giant Jenga. Kids (under 19) are welcome in the saloon until 10 pm. ( good for Mike and his daughter Brooklyn )

Peaks Grill
Peaks Grill is located at the base of the Gondola in the heart of the action at Kicking Horse Plaza. Known for legendary après with delicious homemade food and ice cold beer.

Special surprise event - Time TBA Sat night ( maybe around 9pm area )it will be in my room, room number to be announced / there will be prizes!!! Don’t miss it!

Golden Car Wash

Downtown Auto Wash 520 – 8th Ave N Golden BC V0A 1H0

It is positioned in some maps below

Hearing not the best soap and dry well to avoid water spots ( info from a CCF member who lives in Golden )

Sunday am

8am – leave to have breakfast in GOLDEN.. the resort does NOT serve breakfast till 9am in the summer months.

9:00am – meeting location to start day 2 ( location will be the Golden Chevron Gas Station on Hwy 1 ) the have a open area and some might park on road too.

9:15am – drivers meeting.... Golden Chevron

9:30am – Leave Golden to drive to Takakkaw Falls ( approx 73 km )

One of the reasons we are doing Takakkaw falls first is to go earlier for better parking.. there are lots of spots but best to go there first ( parking should be better at 10:30 am then noon - was busier ) so when we arrive at Emerald Lake you can enjoy Emerald Lake as much as you want. it is amazing there!

Be careful turning left off the Transcanada East to Yoho Valley Road ( sign says to Takakkaw Falls ) – Just after the turn to go to Field ( Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls turns are located within 3-5 minutes of each other

10:30am – Arrive Takakkaw Falls ( approx 45 min visit ) Takes about 10-15 min to walk to the falls, 15 minute at the falls and 10-15 minutes back to cars.

11:30am leave to Emerald Lake

Approx 12 noon – arrive Emerald Lake visit for maybe 1-2-3 hour(s)

I will point at the parking lot entrance and everyone also point to show the others behind to know where to go after the photo shoot.

When we arrive we will be doing a one car at a time photo shoot at the bridge at the lake then you go parking in hotel guest parking and walk or take the hotel shuttle.

Now, when you start to see the cars parked on the road there will be a sign saying hotel parking and you will go to that area after the photo shoot.

Parking – will be at lot off the area for hotel guests - shuttle that they offer ( you can walk too - 850 meter walk – Approved with the manager, gave us a real warm welcome when Ziggy and I went there )

Hotel shuttle would take back to front of the bridge were photo shoot is.... many people have to park on the road near the hotel guest area and walk... not that far. Some elders might like the shuttle.

Now, 2 locations there to have lunch - beautiful lake views. both area's to eat have inside and patio... you choose.

The close one is just on the other side of the bridge

The 2nd food place further in is next to the hotel check in ( in same building ).. lounge/patio / Just follow hotel check in signs.

The manager said do your photo shoot... that is park land... said just don't block his shuttle that does across the bridge.

Cars are not allowed across.... I asked if any photo locations and he said Corvettes might not be the best over the bridge and middle island area.

Afternoon TBD at a later date closer to event ( I might end the cruise here and people can do as they wish )

FYI - Emerald Lake is about 20-25 minutes from Lake Louise.

NATURAL BRIDGE – located on the road to Emerald Lake – I never stopped there / could be a location to visit after leaving Emerald Lake if you so wish

All this for now....... discussion is open, any questions of any kind

Hope everyone can make this weekend and likes the route!!!

Last edited:
mc1.jpg

OK, THE 98 BANFF AVE WHITE DOT ON THE MAP BELOW IS THE SPOT I WILL STOP AND BLOCK THE ROAD SO EVERYONE CAN TURN RIGHT ONTO BANFF AVE. ZIGGY WILL LEAD THE GROUP AS I WAIT AND I WILL BE DOING VIDEO OF US GOING DOWN BANFF AVE

MC2.jpg

MC3.jpg

MC5.jpg

MC6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick9456
Thx Brian
Would we need to reserve for the Saturday Lunch?
I see the link has a "Book a Table" option.

Nope, they know we have 40-45 people coming.... will have extra staff. I called her Sunday and she said she is doing this weeks schedule so she will add more staff.

She asked for food allergies and I told her the ones I know ( fish, egg and gluten free )... said I will ask again at drivers meeting and text her the amount of people that show up

B

Reactions: YFCvii
Cost me $9.80 for a single person.... cheap.

Dear Visitor:
Thank you for your purchase of a day pass for entry into Yoho, Kootenay, Jasper, Waterton Lakes, Mount Revelstoke,
Glacier and Banff national parks. This is your official sales receipt which must be printed and shown to a park official
upon request.
Parks Canada is pleased to confirm the following purchase:
Issuing Park: Banff National Park
Start Date: 2018-08-18 -
End Date: 2018-08-19 at 4 p.m

Just realized I forgot day 2 maps...... because I redid day 1 I made a new folder

stage3h.jpg

stage3g.jpg

stage3e.jpg

stage3f.jpg

2nd lunch location is near hotel check in.... both in same building ( they have check in, a fancy rest that opens 5pm and then the lounge too ) .... just follow the check in signs.... you can see the lake but trees are blocking a bit I think... still was nice and peaceful up there.

I like the first place to eat by the lake..... near the end of the bridge.

Brian

Last edited:
Reactions: turbozig
OK, hearing that maybe the radios without the subchannel might work if the others are on 0

So, 5-3 could change to 5-0 ...... book em Dano... I mean Jeffy

Ziggy and I will test this and see if works

B

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesP
Please note: For those on the trip, you may want to make sure you have out-of-province health coverage insurance (even though you can trip back to Alberta rather quickly). If thick smoke rolls in and bothers you, it might be needed. Hopefully not. You can taste Calgary’s air today and we have slight ash on dark surfaces too ... Wow … Here’s Calgary today Aug15th (10am sun) ... it is really no big deal unless anyone has acute respiratory concerns.
View attachment 19334

I was told Quebec is the only place you need out of province.... and my doctor told me this. Think that is what he said.

Paul is trying to find one of these for Joanne so he can have the top down!

Lets make the laughter make up for the possible smoke...... it changes everyday... maybe good it is heavy now.. in 3 days could be better!

B

IMG_2923.PNG

Please note: For those on the trip, you may want to make sure you have out-of-province health coverage insurance (even though you can trip back to Alberta rather quickly). If thick smoke rolls in and bothers you, it might be needed. Hopefully not. You can taste Calgary’s air today and we have slight ash on dark surfaces too ... Wow … Here’s Calgary today Aug15th (10am sun) ... it is really no big deal unless anyone has acute respiratory concerns.
There is a high pressure and a low pressure system that brings this through the Banff corridor today and it's hoped to be much different in the coming days …
View attachment 19334

One nice thing about having the parkade..... no ash overnight.

Jeff, no changing the h in ash to an s

LOL

B

Ya, one person knows something and another knows more.....

My Doctor should know ... but who knows

I have a 16 day travel policy that is around $110 a year.... and not with AMA as seen stories how they find loopoles ... Guardian which was told is a decent company to get it..... but then you never know.... haha

B

I bought 50 masks ..... will hand them out at the Sat am drivers meeting. Maybe we will need them... maybe won't

maybe they will be dealing with it here in AB this weekend and it will clear up for us........ hoping.

Brian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.