Dik

Regular
May 7, 2014
St. Albert
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Z51 Convertible
Hi.
I just want to pass along a tip regarding fuels, quality and prices for at least the St. Albert area. I have no idea regarding other Coop gas stations and as you will read it appears there could be some variability regarding ethanol and where the source of the fuels between gas stations across western Canada?

This was the price of fuel at the Coop gas bar at the St. Albert Trail location (~135 Avenue?) late last week:

20220511_102400.jpg

So what I noticed and is not in this picture, is THIS Coop recently changed their information at the pump. A couple of weeks earlier the premium was marked as "ethanol-free". This information was removed so I contacted Federated Coop to find out if their premium is still ethanol free. This is Ms. Totland's reply to my questions:

Dear Mr. B.,
Thanks for taking the time and writing to us! We really appreciate your support of our Co-op.

1. Do all grades of your fuel come from Saskatchewan or Alberta refineries?
A: For the St. Albert Trail location, mostly if not all the fuel we sell come from SK and AB.
  1. Is the premium grade (still) ethanol free? My high-performance car recommends zero ethanol.
A: in the province of AB, including the St. Albert Trail location, the premium grade is still ethanol free. I attached the Gasoline fact sheet for your quick reference. I also invite you to check out our website as well at https://www.fuel.crs/
Thank you again for your inquiry and support of the Co-op!
Regards,
Vera Totland

Senior Manager Energy Products Marketing

Based on price and quality of the fuel I will continue fuelling my daily drivers at this Coop as much as possible. And I will monitor this web page (and the pumps) for any changes to the addition of ethanol: Top Tier Gasoline.

Hey. All I hope is this information is helpful to someone else? Coop is my alternative to extra high costs at Esso and is 100% western Canadian.
:Cheers2:

Hi.
I just want to pass along a tip regarding fuels, quality and prices for at least the St. Albert area. I have no idea regarding other Coop gas stations and as you will read it appears there could be some variability regarding ethanol and where the source of the fuels between gas stations across western Canada?

This was the price of fuel at the Coop gas bar at the St. Albert Trail location (~135 Avenue?) late last week:

View attachment 96226

So what I noticed and is not in this picture, is THIS Coop recently changed their information at the pump. A couple of weeks earlier the premium was marked as "ethanol-free". This information was removed so I contacted Federated Coop to find out if their premium is still ethanol free. This is Ms. Totland's reply to my questions:

Dear Mr. B.,
Thanks for taking the time and writing to us! We really appreciate your support of our Co-op.

1. Do all grades of your fuel come from Saskatchewan or Alberta refineries?
A: For the St. Albert Trail location, mostly if not all the fuel we sell come from SK and AB.
  1. Is the premium grade (still) ethanol free? My high-performance car recommends zero ethanol.
A: in the province of AB, including the St. Albert Trail location, the premium grade is still ethanol free. I attached the Gasoline fact sheet for your quick reference. I also invite you to check out our website as well at https://www.fuel.crs/
Thank you again for your inquiry and support of the Co-op!
Regards,
Vera Totland

Senior Manager Energy Products Marketing

Based on price and quality of the fuel I will continue fuelling my daily drivers at this Coop as much as possible. And I will monitor this web page (and the pumps) for any changes to the addition of ethanol: Top Tier Gasoline.

Hey. All I hope is this information is helpful to someone else? Coop is my alternative to extra high costs at Esso and is 100% western Canadian.
Good post. My choice of fuel has been Co-op since the beginning of time..lol... guaranteed ethanol free premium and the membership kickback every year is sweet. Second choice when Co-op isn't an option is Shell premium. I never trust the no name stations as many get their gas from an assortment of suppliers and don't seem to know or care if they get a batch of premium that contains ethanol. Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to find ethanol free gas south of the border as 97 % +/- of all their gas has ethanol. There are a few suppliers that buy ethanol credits and do offer an ethanol free premium but they are few and far between depending on the cost of the din credits at the time. In the US, I take what I can get but make sure I run it out of my Vette ASAP when I get back to Alberta.

Reactions: Jeffer2013
Good post. My choice of fuel has been Co-op since the beginning of time..lol... guaranteed ethanol free premium and the membership kickback every year is sweet. Second choice when Co-op isn't an option is Shell premium. I never trust the no name stations as many get their gas from an assortment of suppliers and don't seem to know or care if they get a batch of premium that contains ethanol. Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to find ethanol free gas south of the border as 97 % +/- of all their gas has ethanol. There are a few suppliers that buy ethanol credits and do offer an ethanol free premium but they are few and far between depending on the cost of the din credits at the time. In the US, I take what I can get but make sure I run it out of my Vette ASAP when I get back to Alberta.
I am a Shell guy but my back up is Coop.

I am a former Shell employee so it is (lmost) my last choice. Yes, it is personal and a very old grudge! .... Hey! I'm old so I can (still) be grumpy! :Biggrin:

I have been fuelling at either Husky (Cenovus), Esso or PetroCanada because I am or was a shareholder. Even "one lot" counts me as an owner. :Hurray:

Typically I havent been too fussy where I get my gas especially with the daily drivers but I am not a huge fan of CostcoI for a few reasons. Although I will be a Coop member very soon indeed. (For one thing, Coop will not treat me, a member, like a criminal after I check out ....)

PS. I snuck in a couple of my pet peeves this morning. Sorry about that.
:Cheers2: x2

Reactions: YFCvii
Esso is my third choice. I avoid Petro Canada like the plague as all their fuels contain ethanol. Husky is just too vague on whether their premium contains ethanol... I don't like their "it may contain"....

I drove to High River yesterday from YYC to service our daily driver and to fill my sierra at the CO-OP. Gas is 10cents per litre less right now. While filling I noticed tiny “may contain …” stickers added on each of the fuel selection buttons. These were not there two weeks ago. WTF CO-OP. Hopefully its just someone with a sticker fetish. 🤪
So my choice is now Chevron 94, Safeway and (non-flying-J) Shell for ethanol free premium that remains stated on the pumps.

Reactions: Dik
Hi Spence. I am afraid Federated Coop will be going with more ethanol too. It was mentioned in their website.
Hello @Dik & thank you for info.

Oh poop … there goes my local and best-priced no-ethanol CO-OP refuelling stops during the Summer months in Falun and Calmar. Well … unless I just keep driving and driving.
It would be the same though if I drove to Fredericton as I could not find a single source for no-ethanol premium there. Was told the nearest from my place there is in Saint John - wish this real estate agent disclosed this before I put in my offer. 😂

I guess I will just try not to hibernate with “may contain …” fuel and just let it be … I’m officially out from hibernation this Friday 👍🏻🤪👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: OL Yeller
Hi.
I have a tid-bit more information that could be quite helpful.
Yesterday (while fuelling my Vette at Coop) I noticed a small sign attached to the fuel hose, stating there is a 6 cents/litre discount on premium fuel but only Tuesdays! :Ack2:
Why Tuesdays .... I have no idea, but that works for me. ;)
Also, this sign states, in very small print, zero ethanol in the premium fuel.

Reactions: OL Yeller
Hi.
I have a tid-bit more information that could be quite helpful.
Yesterday (while fuelling my Vette at Coop) I noticed a small sign attached to the fuel hose, stating there is a 6 cents/litre discount on premium fuel but only Tuesdays! :Ack2:
Why Tuesdays .... I have no idea, but that works for me. ;)
Also, this sign states, in very small print, zero ethanol in the premium fuel.
They fill the premium holding tanks on Monday and it stirs up all the dirt .... settles back down by Wednesday... :Biggrin:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread