Power User
Jun 26, 2014
Far East of Canada
VetteCoins
Car
Centennial coupe
Province
NL
We had a great run today in near perfect weather. My apologies for not being a great writer.
Of course we had to begin at the visitor's centre up on Signal Hill

After a leisurely cup of hot chocolate at the Newfoundland Chocolate company we departed for the old railway station in downtown St. John's. This one is actually the "new" station as the "old" station was further East under Signal Hill behind the hotel Newfoundland. First we stopped at the static display, roughly where the turn table used to be, and then outside the station itself. The station has been converted in to a museum with some very good displays inside and a mock up of the interior of the rail cars.

Next it was a jaunt to our next stop further to the West in Avondale.

After looking over the train here we headed for a Whitbourne which was the first town in Newfoundland to be built in the interior.

It was too nice of a day to end such an enjoyable time so we decided to head north along the Eastern Side of Trinity Bay to Heart's Content, the site of the Eastern terminus of the first trans-Atlantic cable.

Then it was a cruise all the way back home. It was a shame that none of these museums were open during our visits.

Yes, thank you for this great post! I too enjoy that snowplow! That is made for SERIOUS work!

Good pictures, too! I really enjoy the different ways that buildings have been made across our country over time, and I am a bit surprised that the Avondale hotel is still there!

I like the weathering in the stone, and I appreciate the story that it tells as well. I have a child that will never understand how this world even existed before the Internet!

What an awesome day we had today. Leaving the house and of course forgot I had to get some go juice before a nice long cruise. Final long weekend of the summer and traffic was heavy. So we were a bit late meeting up with Howard at the beach in Holyrood. No room at the parking lot and we were late so we slowed down and Howard pulled out behind us. We took what is referred as the 'old way'. Before the TCH was built this was the main highway leaving St. John's. When Townies refer to 'going out around the bay' this is the route being referred to and 'the bay' is Conception Bay.

Pulled into Ol' Yeller's driveway and of course - it didn't happen if there were no pictures.

Corvete day pic 01.jpg

Corvete day pic 02.jpg

Left and headed North from here along the Western side of Conception Bay through all the old communities and then down the Eastern side of Trinity Bay. Sorry but we were enjoying the drive so much we forgot to grab a few pictures of the scenery on this drive. Got to remember to do it next time.

We stopped at a great place for supper in famous Dildo, the Dildo Boathouse Restaurant. Sitting outside with hardly a breath of wind and great scenery.

Corvete day pic 03.jpg

Corvete day pic 05.jpg

Corvete day pic 06.jpg

Of course we had fish, probably caught this morning or yesterday. and a great laugh with the waitress. When we had finished, it was almost too nice an evening to leave
Corvete day pic 10.jpg

Of course being the gentlemen we all are, we sat so the wives could have the sun at their back and not in their face while we were eating and everyone was happy. When the entertainment arrived, we became the bad guys because they had to turn around to see the excitement, LOL. This fellow showed up just as we were getting ready to leave and appeared to be slowly cruising along the shoreline about 30-35m out from where were sitting.

whale0.jpg

whale1.jpg

whale2.jpg

Can hardly wait to do it again.

Corvete day pic 13.jpg

Attachments

• Corvete day pic 13.jpg
    Corvete day pic 13.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 6
Sweet.

We are out in Fredericton for a week until tomorrow ... oh wait ... that all got covid-kaboshed ... dang-it!

I know the story/photos above is not New Brunswick but never-the-less appreciated & very nice to see - thx.

We start up online UNB in YYC today ... but really wish we were at UNB in Fredericton.
Hopefully in Spring 2021 as we need to search for a residence.

Reactions: OL Yeller
Had a great trip to Nfld last summer. Actually got 4 days in a row where we could take the roof out! ;) All the roads in Gros Morne National Park have been newly paved and are very smooth. The people and Nfld cuisine are both very enjoyable. Fish n Brewis with scutcheons was a favorite. It was one of the best road trips I've had in 45 years of owning my c3. I lived in Nfld for 5 years in the late '80's. Gros Morne.
IMG_5890 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.