Nov 27, 2013
Canada
VetteCoins
I was thinking about purchasing extra warranty for when I receive my C7. I'm not sure though as to exactly how it works with respect to time lines. I see that it must be purchased within the vehicles basic coverage period which is 3 years/60000 kms. If you buy the extra warranty upon car purchase, it doesn't start from that day forward does it? I would think it would start at the end of the 3 year/60000 kms thus giving you those extra purchased years. Would it make sense then to wait until almost the end of the 3 years to then purchase extra warranty? Just wondering your thoughts on this. Thanks for your time.

Hi jabroni

I bought the extended warranty. The extended warranty was explained to us this way. What you are doing is taking the 36 month/60000 km warranty and EXTENDING it beyond the standard based on a couple of criteria all of which comes with some kind of cost. Unfortunately I do not recall what all the options were but there were multiple options based on time and/or mileage. Someone keep me honest here. In my case I did not extend the mileage of 60K but I did extend the years. I purchased an extended warranty totalling 84 months or 60,000 kms. I figured I would put more years in than Ks since my C7 will be a fair weather driver only for me. If I recall there is no deductible either for the type of extended warranty I bought. Oh, and just to make you gasp, the extended warranty is costing me just shy of 3K for those extra 4 years. My trade-in will be a 2010 Nissan Pathfinder and maybe I do 10K kms a year all four seasons.

I also bought a basic protection package for the paint and leather.

I also bought something called Platinum Security. Not even sure just what that is now but I coughed up $200 for that puppy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. Usually I don't bother with extended warranties etc because I tend to trade-in or sell my vehicles before warranty expires or shortly thereafter. This vette, my plan is to keep it for a long time. :coolgleam:

Hi jabroni

I bought the extended warranty. The extended warranty was explained to us this way. What you are doing is taking the 36 month/60000 km warranty and EXTENDING it beyond the standard based on a couple of criteria all of which comes with some kind of cost. Unfortunately I do not recall what all the options were but there were multiple options based on time and/or mileage. Someone keep me honest here. In my case I did not extend the mileage of 60K but I did extend the years. I purchased an extended warranty totalling 84 months or 60,000 kms. I figured I would put more years in than Ks since my C7 will be a fair weather driver only for me. If I recall there is no deductible either for the type of extended warranty I bought. Oh, and just to make you gasp, the extended warranty is costing me just shy of 3K for those extra 4 years. My trade-in will be a 2010 Nissan Pathfinder and maybe I do 10K kms a year all four seasons.

I also bought a basic protection package for the paint and leather.

I also bought something called Platinum Security. Not even sure just what that is now but I coughed up $200 for that puppy.

Hope this helps.

Platinum Security is ID etching the glass and non removable labels on all major body parts First Canadian Group of Companies. The idea behind it is that if your car was stolen and parted out, the parts would be traceable. In reality it's a good money maker for the dealer, and very rarely leads to the car being recovered or someone being arrested.

Also I would not want the stickers all over my car. Usually they are not visible, but sometimes they are which I wouldn't want. Me, I just took out full replacement insurance with my auto insurance, if it gets stolen in 2016 I get a brand new 2016 C7, since if it was stolen I really don't want it back! I've had that happen before twice and the returned car was never the same.

The extended warranties are an excellent product for those who are financing their purchase in my opinion as it would help to manage your budget in case of unexpected repairs before your payments come to an end. If its a lease then you would likely not need the extended warranty. Just stick with getting your XS Wear coverage as it would cover most things such as minor scratches, dings and dents, windshield chips etc. As Chevy and GMC full warranties are for 3 yrs/60000 KM it might be a good idea to only lease these brands for 3 yrs instead of leasing for 4 yrs and then having to purchase extended warranty for the extra 1 yr/20000KM. Buick and Cadillac standard warranties are for 4 yrs/80000Km so they are ideal for 4 yrs lease in my opinion.

If you are buying it out with Cash then likely you can afford to expose yourself to the risk of unexpected repairs running into thousands but I would still recommend it. The only people I know who did not benefit from the extended warranty are either people who decided to sell/trade-in their vehicle before the extended warranty came into effect or those whose vehicle got stolen or salvaged due to a total loss accident.

There are 3 key things to note in all extended warranties:

1. Length of Warranty -- How many years will it cover
2. Mileage -- How many KM covered
3. Deductible -- It ranges from $ 200 - $ 0, however, most people seem to select $ 100 for some reason.

When selecting your extended warranty there are afew things to keep in mind.

Always go with extended warranty from the manufacturer if that is offered/available. So for any GM vehicle go for GMCL. Ford go with Ford Warranty etc. For eg suppose you buy are buying a used Stang from a GM dealership you will likely get offered GMCL or a third party warranty for it. I would rather go with a GMCL warranty for it than a third party warranty as sometimes these can be fly by night warranty companies or known to deny valid claims whenever you can or they have complicated claim processes.

SmackYYZ did a great job at explaining the Platinum Security product. In my opinion this product doesn't really prevent or provide any "security" for the purchaser, but it potentially reduces the reselling price of the components and parts of the vehicle as most reputable shops would avoid getting involved (hopefully). The potential benefits therefore only come into effect after the theft. But for $ 200 - $ 300 you cant expect too much I guess.

The paint and leather protection can be quiet useful actually. Especially if you are a smoker and are prone to getting cigarette burns on your seats. For those of you who are non-smokers and prefer to prevent any scratches on your paint job go for XPEL or 3M to get a full protection. Its always better to prevent damage then to fix it after the fact -- but it does cost a LOT more.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
Went with the 7 year, 80000 km. I'm a fair weather driver as well so that should be plenty over 7 years.

I forgot to ask if there was some sort of tire coverage on a separate plan. I know when I had my 370Z it even covered nail punctures etc, had two of them fixed no charge.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.