Hemi2u

I'm New Here
Jan 23, 2014
wpg
VetteCoins
Car
1976 stingray
Hey everyone, new to this forum, I have (my mom has) a 76 stingray and this is the 2nd new mirror she had put on there. I had it out during the summer and the mirror is like a wet noodle, just won't stay in place if you go above 30mph.
My now dececed step dad who was the original owner of the car since new had allways had an issue with this, any suggestions ?? I'd hate to buy another new one and have the same thing happen. Anyone else come across this problem? Any imput would be great.
Cheers

Are you referring to the head moving? If so, try soaking the entire mirror in a bucket of paint thinner to soften up the silicone behind the glass (after removing the mirror from the car of course). Once you have the glass out, tighten up the two peens that hold the strap to the head and reinstall the glass with silicone.

And welcome to the forum! :D

If it is like the mirrors from the old days, then the glass is was originally mounted snugly on a pivot ball. Guys have taken the mirrors apart and dimpled the pivot ball with a centre punch to take up the slack and make things fit tight again.

my passenger side mirror was wobbly at the mount. a 1/8 allen key holds the mirror to the door mount and the fit can become sloppy. i put a piece of electrical tape horseshoed over the door mount peg and put a hole through where the allen screw goes. it provided a friction fit and can't be seen. try that if it's a mount problem you're having. :D

Just to clarify

Hey thanks for the quick responses, just to clarify, its the head of the mirror that is flopping around. Whoever responded , the first one I think, about soaking the mirror in thinner, so if I understand, I'd be taking the actual mirror out of the head part? to get behind it? wasn't to sure what you ment. Have you done this before?
again Thanks to all who replied.
Cheers

Hey thanks for the quick responses, just to clarify, its the head of the mirror that is flopping around. Whoever responded , the first one I think, about soaking the mirror in thinner, so if I understand, I'd be taking the actual mirror out of the head part? to get behind it? wasn't to sure what you ment. Have you done this before?
again Thanks to all who replied.
Cheers

Yes, you have to remove the mirror glass to get at the strap behind it to tighten it to the ball on the mount. I haven't done it but I know someone who has on another forum with good success. All you need to do is soften the silicone enough to remove the glass without breaking it.

Greg.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.