Zora

Corvettes & Road Trips: Priceless
Regular
Sep 23, 2018
U.S. Pacific Northwest
VetteCoins
The last couple of years, GM has been filling new and varied patents that are likely C8 involved, at least in one of three ways: A “defensive patent” (which removes part of the playing field for competitors), a patent they truly intend to engineering pursue or have already completed , or a patent application they are still engineering on that they yet do not know whether it would work out or not. Of course there are engineering patents, name trademarks, and/or design patents.

For example, GM has successfully filed for the use of the name “Zora,” in in right hand drive Austrailia. They have filed “body design patents” which so vaguely hint at the shape of the C8.

Here’s a list of the some of the many patents GM has filed for. It will be interesting to learn which are brought into fruition for the C8, though some like the active aero first two patents would not be seen IMO, at least until the second year, high performance version of the car. Others like the way to reduce air “rhythmic buffeting” at speed for convertibles, could well have nice secondary benefits, e.g., “less drag,” better fuel economy.

1). Active Aero Components: Two patents, first in March, 2017, second one this past August.

a) ME To Feature Active Aero? - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

b) New ME Patents Approved for Active Side Skirts, Spoiler & Downforce Generating Ducts - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

2) Convertible Air Buffeting Deflector (which would also reduce drag, increase fuel economy):

ME ‘Vert Air Deflector Patent - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

3) Twin Stage Turbo Motor: ME T/S Turbo Patent - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

4) Hydraulically Actuated DCT With Clutch Pedal? Dual Clutch Transmission with a Foot & Hand" Manual Shift Alternative? - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

5) Hybrid Powered Corvette: ME Hybrid Technology Patent - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

6) Adaptive Instrument Panel: ME Adaptive Instrument Panel - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

7) C8 Body Design Patent: GM’s ME Body Patent and Body Design Heritage - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

8) Front Bumper Cover: ME Front Bumper Patent - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

GM sure has been busy lately inventing potential engineering advances and body design patents. Only several years from now, will we know which were “defensive patents,” which ones did not bear fruition, and/or which ones become reality during the first generation mid engine Corvette.

Admin/mods, it this thread does not comply with forum posting rules, thanks for deleting parts or all of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread