Apr 12, 2018
Mississauga
VetteCoins
Car
C7 Convertible 2019
Province
ON
I have been quoted $3000 by my dealer for the 7yr 160k extended warranty on my 2019 GS. Any comments as to whether that would be standard pricing by all dealers, or might there be different pricing at various dealers. Any experience that you can share would be greatly appreciated. Brian

I’m considering it now Brian.
I am sitting on the fence as I may be keeping this car for a few years till the C8 is out and established.
Be watching this thread for sure.

I’m considering it now Brian.
I am sitting on the fence as I may be keeping this car for a few years till the C8 is out and established.
Be watching this thread for sure.

I learned that there is a markup of approx 25% included in the retail price of GM extended warranties. I was initially quoted approx $3,100 for a 7 yr 60 km extension on a 2019 Grand Sport convertible from the dealer who sold me the car. After a few days of shopping, I purchased it from the same dealer for $2,500 after telling him how much I could purchase it for elsewhere (another dealer). There are of course different distances available up to 160 km at higher prices, but I figured 60 would be more than enough for me for 7 years. Hope this helps.

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
I learned that there is a markup of approx 25% included in the retail price of GM extended warranties. I was initially quoted approx $3,100 for a 7 yr 60 km extension on a 2019 Grand Sport convertible from the dealer who sold me the car. After a few days of shopping, I purchased it from the same dealer for $2,500 after telling him how much I could purchase it for elsewhere (another dealer). There are of course different distances available up to 160 km at higher prices, but I figured 60 would be more than enough for me for 7 years. Hope this helps.

Yes thanks Brian. It sure pays to shop around and I agree with your logic on the package you picked.
Thanks
D

The price I have been quoted from my dealer started at $ 3200 for the FCPP (First Canadian) $200.00 deductible, and they dropped to $3000 but also told me the service department would have to inspect the car at a price of $500. FCPP are owned by the Wheatons of Wheaton Chevrolet here in Alberta. After some research, almost every review i found did not make me feel very warm and fuzzy, so I asked my dealer to quote me the GMPP (GM) plan. They politely informed me that they would not sell me the GM plan... hmmmmm..... Much like a GM dealership refusing to sell OEM parts I thought. Especially when they are listed on the GMPP site as my nearest dealer. So. I drove down to another dealer and visited their Finance Manager. The price was the same at $3000 but for the $100 deductible, and without the $ 500 inspection cost for the GMPP coverage. They were both for the 7 year/80,000km supposedly top of the line plan. As I do really like the service at my dealership, I then went back to my service manager and asked if they would still perform warranty service on my car if I bought the GM plan...(Yeah. I know. Sounds like a silly question). After the shock of me telling them that their own finace dept wouldn't sell me GM's extended warranty plan, I was told they would be pleased to continue to service my car, with or without the finance department's blessing.... lol....
I am also still on the fence as far as purchasing the extended coverage but another 4 years of warranty would give me some more peace of mind, and we all know that extended warranties are pretty much just that. But that being said, when and if I do take the plunge, it will definitely be with the GMPP.

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
The price I have been quoted from my dealer started at $ 3200 for the FCPP (First Canadian) $200.00 deductible, and they dropped to $3000 but also told me the service department would have to inspect the car at a price of $500. FCPP are owned by the Wheatons of Wheaton Chevrolet here in Alberta. After some research, almost every review i found did not make me feel very warm and fuzzy, so I asked my dealer to quote me the GMPP (GM) plan. They politely informed me that they would not sell me the GM plan... hmmmmm..... Much like a GM dealership refusing to sell OEM parts I thought. Especially when they are listed on the GMPP site as my nearest dealer. So. I drove down to another dealer and visited their Finance Manager. The price was the same at $3000 but for the $100 deductible, and without the $ 500 inspection cost for the GMPP coverage. They were both for the 7 year/80,000km supposedly top of the line plan. As I do really like the service at my dealership, I then went back to my service manager and asked if they would still perform warranty service on my car if I bought the GM plan...(Yeah. I know. Sounds like a silly question). After the shock of me telling them that their own finace dept wouldn't sell me GM's extended warranty plan, I was told they would be pleased to continue to service my car, with or without the finance department's blessing.... lol....
I am also still on the fence as far as purchasing the extended coverage but another 4 years of warranty would give me some more peace of mind, and we all know that extended warranties are pretty much just that. But that being said, when and if I do take the plunge, it will definitely be with the GMPP.

You can continue to negotiate with them.
I negotiated my price for the 7 yr (additional 4 yr) , 80k plan last fall.
I had them down to $2545, which they gave me in writing (via email).
And they honoured that price last month when I went in to do the actual purchase of the warranty.

Remember that they can make the warranty active as soon as you purchase it, not on the 3yr original warranty expiry date. So you will want to have all of the paperwork signed at least 3-4 weeks before the original warranty expires, as it took that long for the card to arrive in the mail.

We as a dealer used to sell First Canadian, they were good at first but now try their best to decline part or all of virtually every claim. It used to be a no brainer to go with factory but even the factory plans are getting worse all the time, depending on the dealers warranty history they have different levels that require pre-approval, sometimes as low as 300.00. Most if not all factory warranties are now administered by a third party who are obviously on commission, the less they pay, the more they make. We are now with Old Republic, so far so good. Can keep you updated.

Thanks Dantan. Not that I believe everything on the internet, but if I did, I'd never buy anyone's warranty (including Old Republic)... and probably would never buy another automobile again either...lol... My dealer's service manager (from the GM dealership who won't sell me the GMPP), told me in private that FCPP are terrible to deal with and GMPP is head and shoulders the favorite when it comes to repair coverage. This comes from a dealership service manager with nothing to gain by telling me this.... That's maybe worth a little in my book when it comes to weighing the pros and cons of a decision...Still undecided though... Time will tell...

He would obviously know more on the gm side. Aftermarket is always dicey. We only sell Old Republic because we can't sell Ford warranty on off make vehicles and again the jury is still out on them. Time will tell.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.