Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
VetteCoins
Ok.... Here's my scenario and my question...
As of September, the three year bumper to bumper warranty on my baby will expire... leaving the two more years of powertrain only warrany in place until September 2020. That being said, I am contemplating purchasing the total protection 7 year/80,000 km aftermarket warranty, which would give me a fairly comprehensive warranty until 2025. There are two company options for extended warranty at my dealership that I am considering. The FCPP (First Canadian Protection Plan) and the GMPP (General Motors Protection Plan). Neither one has much of a positive review rating but to be fair, no one that is happy ever takes the time to voice a positive review. The cost of each is comparable as is the coverage (other than GMPP doesn't appear to have as many "non covered" items as FCPP. I have discussed both options with both the finance manager and the service manager at my dealership but I also keep in mind that they are reaping the profit from the sale of the plan.. (especially the finance department). My service manager appears to give me the more honest recommendation as they deal with the extended warranty quite regularly. The price, in my opinion, is pretty reasonable at $ 3,000.00 for the biggest and baddest seven year plan. This is for an owner transferable plan. I have no interest in the "If you don't use it, you get your money back" plan.... Gimmicks for extra money don't crank my tractor.

So.... Here's the question.... Does anyone have experience with either of GMPP or FCPP... and if so, do you have a recommendation.... horror story.... positive experience..... whatever....

Thanks tons in advance for any first hand input, or just your gut feeling on this.....

Eric.....

So, after three years, you can buy seven more years of bumper to bumper warranty to basically have ten years of bumper to bumper warranty? Does the 80,000 km start from your current reading or is it actually 80,000km total?....which isn't a really big deal unless you're Les. :D

So, after three years, you can buy seven more years of bumper to bumper warranty to basically have ten years of bumper to bumper warranty? Does the 80,000 km start from your current reading or is it actually 80,000km total?....which isn't a really big deal unless you're Les. :D

It's 80,000 total and $ 100.00 deductable with FCPP but I think GMPP has a $ 0 deductible option for more money. 80,000 km is the least you can specify and costs the least as well. It jumps 20,000 km at a time afer that and goes up about $ 250.00 per step up to 160,000km and then it's a $ 1,000.00 jump to 180,000km. So for $ 5,300.00, Les could get warranty to 180,000 km...lol... It's not quite bumper to bumper as there is a list of mostly secondary items it doesn't cover. Mostly the normal wear stuff.... clutch and pressure plate, brake pads, rotors, headlights, taillights, trim, paint, glass, uphostery, carpet, etc.... I'm mainly posting to try and get someone who has bought it and used it to comment on whether they stepup to the plate or not.... The FCPP has a bunch of negative reviews but reading between the lines, there's a lot of chronic complainers out there too...lol....... If anyone has some history to share, PM me directly so we don't insult anyone prematurely....

Not so sure about the headlights not being covered as they are LED so you can not just change a bulb.
I took the extended warranty when I bought in July 2016 for $2003 until 2022 (6yrs) or 60,000K - $100 deductible.
Wondering if I will go over that 60,000K.

Not so sure about the headlights not being covered as they are LED so you can not just change a bulb.
I took the extended warranty when I bought in July 2016 for $2003 until 2022 (6yrs) or 60,000K - $100 deductible.
Wondering if I will go over that 60,000K.

Do you know which company you used? Was it FCPP or GMPP? They are both availabel from the dealerships.

Thanks

Just to clarify.... the 7 year warranty is 4 more years, which takes you to 2022, or 80,000, whichever comes first.
(Remembering that many buyers opt for the warrantly at time of purchase...hence 7 years)
My understanding is that with the GMPP, the dealer can initiate the work on their own, and then bill the insurance company that backs the plan. But this may not be the case with FCPP, which may require "pre-approval" from the warranty provider before work is initiated.

I have purchased 3 extended warranties in 14 new vehicle buys for our household.
In all 3 occasions they were GMPP and marketed to us in the scare tactic way, which
is what always raises my flag today. It was in my Grandfather's and Father's idealism
that you shouldn't buy a car with all the fancy stuff as it's just more that will go wrong
with it. With the three warranties, we never had anything significant to submit.
A couple of small claims were made on an 89 Olds 88 that were rather transparent for
having done as the Dealership only had to tell us of the "good news bad news" event ...
and paid the deductible ... sorry ... not much to report in a significant way ... but maybe good to know

oh yes, we have experienced more significant repairs in ownership as well and
all being out of warranty coverage ... leads me to statistics on when things
are most likely to be of issue and developing warranty coverages that weigh better on the
average toward the insuring company side ....
it's definitely a tough topic other than the great value of "peace of mind" (and mine were GMPP)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.