HardyZ06

Casual User
Apr 3, 2018
Port Elgin, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2018 Z06
So, in my defense, I've only driven my Z06 three times and this may be a stupid question. But I hope not.

First off - the car is brand new 2018 Z06 7M.

The first drive, the couple hours home from the dealer I just took it easy to get used to stuff. Left it in Touring mode the whole way. It was pretty chilly and I figured intervention may be appreciated at some point along the way. Once I got close to home, I popped it into Sport Mode to bump up the noise level in town a notch. I love that sound!! No issues that drive.

A couple evenings later, went for a nice evening cruise. Had the car in Sport Mode from the start. After a length of boring road (couple km) at low/no throttle, I noticed the butterflies close and it went quiet. Tried burping the throttle a couple times, and it stayed quiet. Arrived at a destination and shut down for a few minutes. When I started up again, my beloved noise was back. It stayed that way for the rest of the night.

My next ride several nights later, same route, same conditions, same issue. But with one difference - this time when it went quiet, I gave the throttle a good wack and they opened back up again.

My question - When in Sport Mode, do the butterflies ever close on purpose? Or could I have an issue with mine? I assume they are vacuum actuated, haven't really looked into it yet. A small leak of some sort could let the valve close (if they are sprung to fail closed?) I'm hoping for a little insight prior to my first service at 800km - see if it's an issue I need to have them look at.

HI,

Driving a 13, 15 and now 17 Z06. All Manuals

I know exactly what you are referring to with the valves in sport mode. My 15 and 17 have both done the same thing.
A couple things:

1) Your valves will open in any mode at 3500 + rpm and re-close in touring or lower setting after you ease off on the throttle. They should stay open in track mode but will close some at or close to idle to prevent the low RPM drone.
2) Check your "Sound Management" setting on you Nav screen. You can set the car for any level of noise in all modes etc. Or pull fuse 42 and have full on loud all the time. This actually makes little sense to do as you can set everything in your settings on the Nav screen thus have the soft ride of tour and the loud track exhaust. If you go to the screen in the center console and hit the "home" button, then press the setting icon, then "driver mode", then engine sound management, then scroll down to track and push track a check mark will appear next to track, hit the home button again. The only thing you will have changed is the exhaust sound. The only way to change the actually driving mode is with the knob on the console by turning it to the desired driving mode.
3) The A8s have a second set of valves further up by the mufflers that are related to the Active Cylinder Management system that is always on in all modes except track, unless you install the delete kit. The M7 cars only have this mode active in the ECO setting.

good luck...

Perfect! I wish the manual explained things better. I read that thing cover to cover several times, yet learned more just now. I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of that over the next few months! if spring ever shows up. more snow for tomorrow

Perfect! I wish the manual explained things better. I read that thing cover to cover several times, yet learned more just now. I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of that over the next few months! if spring ever shows up. more snow for tomorrow

Glad to help. Ask away on here as there are lots of guys who know a heck of a lot more than me on these cars. I expect you have already asked the dealer some questions and walked away shaking your head. I have many times. Frankly it's disgraceful how little dealership sales and tech people know about their premier GM sports car. I guess they spend the time learning the Silverados and Equinox as that is what they sell mainly.
And yes the manuals are packed full of useless information on how not to have any fun in your new Z06 and are very light technically. Many guys buy the service manuals for this reason. I'm considering it but so far have been able to get my questions answered here quicker and easier. Plus sometimes a great debate will kick off and those are always fun. :Biggrin:

Derek

I knew I'd exhausted the dealer as a source of info the day I picked it up. The manual is lacking. I'm a tech guy, so I'll push all the buttons once I can spend some time in it. Unfortunately my garage is too tiny to sit in there and play while the weather sorts it's s**t out...
Uploaded via Android app.jpg

I knew I'd exhausted the dealer as a source of info the day I picked it up. The manual is lacking. I'm a tech guy, so I'll push all the buttons once I can spend some time in it. Unfortunately my garage is too tiny to sit in there and play while the weather sorts it's s**t out... View attachment 15789

Yes small garages are difficult to work in. Mine's not much bigger. Some of the guys here have awesome Corvette caves.. cough cough @Rruuff Day

I really like those red stripes on your car. Also I see you have blacked out part of your headlight lenses. I did the same. It really sharpens the aggressive look of the Z06 IMHO.
IMG_7980.JPG

The next thing you really need to do is get rid of that front plate bezel and get one of these.... Mines on the back plate but it should work up front too.
IMG_5459.JPG

Only a month to go and I'll be driving my Z...yay.

Reactions: flyboy999
The headlights came like that, maybe something new for 2018? They aren't blacked out, it's on the inside. The front bezel is absolutely next! The only other "mod" I plan to do is replace the side marker lights.

Reactions: ddgermann
The headlights came like that, maybe something new for 2018? They aren't blacked out, it's on the inside. The front bezel is absolutely next! The only other "mod" I plan to do is replace the side marker lights.

That is great the 18s have the lens partially blacked out from the factory. I used dark tint on mine.
I put the tint on the side markers too but it’s not enough. I have black side marker lenses coming from WWC. Only slightly annoyed that I been waiting more than 12 weeks for this and a bunch more carbon fibre.

New Corvettes.... let the accessorizing begin. Haha

Yes small garages are difficult to work in. Mine's not much bigger. Some of the guys here have awesome Corvette caves.. cough cough @Rruuff Day

I really like those red stripes on your car. Also I see you have blacked out part of your headlight lenses. I did the same. It really sharpens the aggressive look of the Z06 IMHO.
View attachment 15790

The next thing you really need to do is get rid of that front plate bezel and get one of these.... Mines on the back plate but it should work up front too.
View attachment 15791

Only a month to go and I'll be driving my Z...yay.
Derek--is that the Carbon Fibre plate frame-- I think it's about $125 on Ebay/Amazon. I've been ogling that thing for a few months wondering if it was worth the price--I take it you are happy?

Reactions: ddgermann
I knew I'd exhausted the dealer as a source of info the day I picked it up. The manual is lacking. I'm a tech guy, so I'll push all the buttons once I can spend some time in it. Unfortunately my garage is too tiny to sit in there and play while the weather sorts it's s**t out... View attachment 15789
Hardy Z06 - nice car!! Looks like you bought it at Paul Sadlon? I'm in Thornhill--whereabouts in Ontario are you?

Reactions: lupo
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.