From what I can tell, not a problem driving the car around like everyone else. Maybe an issue when going for max performance or something like that. On an unmodified recreational used car should never be an issue with up to 10% ethanol.
Storage is another matter. Ethanol has characteristics that can cause long term storage problems.
Lots of debate on that subject. 😂

Is Ethanol a problem for our Corvettes and a what percent is this an issue?
Should we avoid it or?

If you scroll down to the "Similar Threads" below this window, there are umpteen previous posts on the use of ethanol blended fuels. I avoid ethanol blended fuel purely on spec. I have read many articles, both pro and con. Anything that has so many so called experts voicing supposedly scientific fact arguments in both directions makes me nervous. Phase separation, water absorbtion, corrosiveness, and shortened shelf life (plus the fact that ethanol supposedly is added just before it reaches the gas station, often by the delivery driver... appear to be the hottest topics... To each their own opinions on it's use....

Funny I just watched this the other day to learn more about performance. I'll just put it here for a reference:

Basically (on small engines anyway) non-ethanol will give better fuel mileage, non conclusive on sludge build up, don't leave it in a tank during storage.

T

From what I read about ethanol is that it is basically a cheap filler additive to gasoline. It costs 50% less to produce than gas but the kicker is that it only produces 50% of the power that gas produces. I don't put any fuel containing ethanol in mine!

I ran the Husky 94 for the first 2 summers I had my car. I love how it ran using it. Had no issues. Especially those August summer evenings when the temp is around 16-20 degrees. My car runs the best ( I think ) in that temp window. One of my quirks I guess. I don’t care much for hot weather driving. C6 Zs are a sauna and I’m not much for A/C.

The last 2 summers have been Shell 91. I like it but notice a difference. Going to use the Chevron 94 in BC this summer.

Reactions: hemicat
@rockitman what I have learned from my small engines is that using ehtanol blended gasolines would always cause hard starting engines in my lawnmowers, snowblowers etc. I read that during storage the ethanol gas degrades and leaves deposits throughout your fuel system. Hence if you use your equipment daily no issues, but if equipment is stored it will cause issues. After I learned this I cleaned the carbs on my yard equipment and started using premium, non-ethanol treated gas. After a winter of letting my lawnmower and gas weed eater sit I prime and 2 or 3 pulls and they run like a dream. Sold me on not using lower grade gas in the last 2 months of drving before storage and for the first 3 months I will if need be.

Hope this helps.

With our Corvette, there is a Shell gas station just up the street from our Monday night cruise site so I fill up there regularly with their premium. Esso is fine too. Even our lawnmowers get the ethanol free gas. The ethanol on the newer vehicles it probably isn't a problem but why take the chance. I'll spend the little bit extra for peace of mind.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I ran the Husky 94 for the first 2 summers I had my car. I love how it ran using it. Had no issues. Especially those August summer evenings when the temp is around 16-20 degrees. My car runs the best ( I think ) in that temp window. One of my quirks I guess. I don’t care much for hot weather driving. C6 Zs are a sauna and I’m not much for A/C.

The last 2 summers have been Shell 91. I like it but notice a difference. Going to use the Chevron 94 in BC this summer.
You need a Vert Mikey.
Ran mine to MITM last year and really enjoyed the top down even with >30 degree in Winnipeg. As long as you have sunscreen you are OK. Had to swab the back of the arms, neck and ears/face every now and then to keep my skin from peeling.

You need a Vert Mikey.
Ran mine to MITM last year and really enjoyed the top down even with >30 degree in Winnipeg. As long as you have sunscreen you are OK. Had to swab the back of the arms, neck and ears/face every now and then to keep my skin from peeling.

I looked at a 2003 spiral grey C5 very while on the hunt for my eventual car. Found this one and it was sweet. So sweet,I kept the picture I took of it. This beauty had only 40,000 kms at the time. He had an intake,exhaust,rims and short throw shifter for mods.

My dislike for hot sun beating down on me was my final reason I didn’t go for it though. And I can’t remember the last time I used any sunscreen stuff. Lol. I’m not in the sun long enough to require it. So in reality,I’d rather be in the oven than on the stove !! If that makes sense. I still think of this car a lot though. I really liked it.

5AB79283-D942-4228-A149-8A7353AE2A23.jpeg

That is a beautiful car Mike. If your air conditioning doesn’t work it’s probably time to get your condenser cleaned or replaced. My air stopped last year or should I say only worked when I was moving. Took the car in and the air conditioning g condenser was so plugged and fins bent it couldn’t be cleaned. Has to replace. The shop also cleaned the rad that was getting there as well. Once repaired I had full use of the air again and even if it doesn’t have to run it’s easier on all the working parts. I’m getting the shroud for the front end to pretext the rads.

That is a beautiful car Mike. If your air conditioning doesn’t work it’s probably time to get your condenser cleaned or replaced. My air stopped last year or should I say only worked when I was moving. Took the car in and the air conditioning g condenser was so plugged and fins bent it couldn’t be cleaned. Has to replace. The shop also cleaned the rad that was getting there as well. Once repaired I had full use of the air again and even if it doesn’t have to run it’s easier on all the working parts. I’m getting the shroud for the front end to pretext the rads.
Oh my AC works fine. I’ve just never been much for using it in any vehicle I’ve owned. Once my nose gets the AC sniffles,a headache soon follows. As well,I’m a firm believer in that it kills mileage. Sure does for me when it’s on. Very noticeable. Anymore than 25 cel,I’d rather stay in. Mikey don’t like the heat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.