80blackbeauty

I'm New Here
2 You're 10
Aug 15, 2010
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
1980 Vette
I am a new Vette owner and for the life of me can't figure this one out. My 1980 vette starts up fine, however sometimes while driving, the guages will go dead, however the car continues to run fine, until you stop and turn off the ignition. The engine continues to run, even after disconnecting the battery. The only way to kill it, is to pull the wire going to the distributor!
Any help would be appreciated.

Well I know on my car when the alternator is working properly I can unplug the battery and it will continue to run. That is how I was told to test my alternator, if it can't keep the car running it is weak. I don't know how this would translate to a car with a computer. Just thought I would throw in this info.

T

I am a new Vette owner and for the life of me can't figure this one out. My 1980 vette starts up fine, however sometimes while driving, the guages will go dead, however the car continues to run fine, until you stop and turn off the ignition. The engine continues to run, even after disconnecting the battery. The only way to kill it, is to pull the wire going to the distributor!
Any help would be appreciated.

About the gauges, I know what is happening....they are grounding somewhere where they should not be...it happened to me.

have you done any work on the back of the gauges area recently? especially with the "Center Gauge Printed Circuit" .

If so, you have to make sure the Printed Circuit only touches the gauges posts that it should touch and nothing else on the gauge cluster...

Now, if you add the fact you cannot shut off the engine...maybe its grounding somewhere else? but I am sure, the gauges go dead because of grounding

Engine Won't Turn Off!

actually, yes i did do some work on the cluster gauges. I took the bezel apart to spray paint it, then put the back back on.
But why will the car not turn off, only when the guages go dead?
Do you think it's not grounded?

Have you checked the switch on the column it self? It may not be going all the way to the off position (most of them are run with a rod from the key switch) or it could have power back feeding to it from the dash side. Mine had a problem with the gauge power shorting out that was caused by the printed circuit plug in(stereo installer screwed it up) Either way you would know where to start looking.

larryvs