Aug 14, 2014
Vancouver
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 HTC
Province
BC
On our 2015, A8 auto transmission, noticed a weird anomaly when driving in Sport mode and auto mode (not using paddle shifters.

Is it "normal" for the revs to stay high even when you lift your foot off the brake?

Scenario:

Boot the car (=give it lots of gas) from stop or at any speed.
The car stays in the lowest gear (whatever gear it drops to when you are booting it) and then holds in that gear at about 3000 RPM, and will not upshift for say 15 seconds or so.

It does not do it in Tour mode. In this mode, the car quickly upshifts when you are booting it as soon as you let off the gas. It drives normally, as any other automatic car would. It only holds the lower gear while you are on the gas, and upshifts almost immediately once you let off the gas.

Is what we are seeing in Sport Mode normal, or does the tranny have issues?
Guessing it may be normal, if Sport Mode is trying to hold high RPMs. But it feels weird, and never experienced this on any other car.

How many km on the car? The A8 is a learning transmission and may take some time to set itself. I don't experience that, at least as you describe it, and have a blast in the different modes so I might have noticed it. I will check when I am at the car in a few hours though.

Thanks AllFlash.

About 4000Km, so it has had lots of learning time.
I have only noticed this in Sport Mode. Does NOT do it in Tour or Weather. Have not driven it in Track Mode, so not sure what it does it does there.

That is really interesting to hear Carbuff. I would imagine it would be holding the revs so in a racing situation, the car wouldn't be upshifting/downshifting all the time. However, knowing nothing about the A8, I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

OK, I got the definitive answer from other sources. It is indeed normal in Sport and Track modes. Apparently it is set up that way for engine braking during more spirited driving.

Problem solved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.