grandsp69

Regular
You're 5
Jun 25, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
’19 Grandsport
So I have a problem with dust sticking to the car 😠 before someone tells me this is normal, I have a friend who drives a black Vette like mine but he doesn’t have this problem. We went for a cruise yesterday and after about 3 hours my car was covered in dust and you can count the dust on his 😂. Both our cars are ceramic coated and ppf’d. The only thing I can think of is I recently started using detail spray as a drying agent to prevent water spots.
Does anyone else have this issue?

might this be that you are still in the break-in period and your friend maybe not?
as it could be perhaps that annoying brake dust we all get?

So I have a problem with dust sticking to the car 😠 before someone tells me this is normal, I have a friend who drives a black Vette like mine but he doesn’t have this problem. We went for a cruise yesterday and after about 3 hours my car was covered in dust and you can count the dust on his 😂. Both our cars are ceramic coated and ppf’d. The only thing I can think of is I recently started using detail spray as a drying agent to prevent water spots.

Hi GS. Without getting geek into atoms, their nucleus and electrons and protons, unfortunately almost everything, including paint and clear coat and likely ceramic carries a minute static charge in the materials. Dust also carries a static charge. Thus much like the old trick of rubbing your hair briskly (when I had enough hair to rub), and then making it stand up in attraction to your hand, when dust is raised and gets near your car, it likes to bond to the finish. If we owned traditional steel frame and body vehicles, a ground rod and a jumper cable to the frame would likely reduce the charge temporarily but with the aluminum frame and composite body, I doubt that would help us Vette owners. Why your buddies black car doesn't attract dust may be dependent on the finish he uses and also how he buffs his car. We tend to use microfibre cloths which in themselves also create static electricity. Ideally, rinsing your car with cold water after it has been detailed should reduce the charge but that also defeats a lot of the purpose of buffing...lol.... A detailer shouldn't make a big difference but the amount you buff likely does. I use Lucas Slick Mist detailer and find it seems better than some of the other products I have used but that may just be my imagination. And by the way, I live on 2 km of gravel so dust is also my enemy. Good luck and if you do find a cure for clinging dust, PLEASE post it...lol...

Hi GS. Without getting geek into atoms, their nucleus and electrons and protons, unfortunately almost everything, including paint and clear coat and likely ceramic carries a minute static charge in the materials. Dust also carries a static charge. Thus much like the old trick of rubbing your hair briskly (when I had enough hair to rub), and then making it stand up in attraction to your hand, when dust is raised and gets near your car, it likes to bond to the finish. If we owned traditional steel frame and body vehicles, a ground rod and a jumper cable to the frame would likely reduce the charge temporarily but with the aluminum frame and composite body, I doubt that would help us Vette owners. Why your buddies black car doesn't attract dust may be dependent on the finish he uses and also how he buffs his car. We tend to use microfibre cloths which in themselves also create static electricity. Ideally, rinsing your car with cold water after it has been detailed should reduce the charge but that also defeats a lot of the purpose of buffing...lol.... A detailer shouldn't make a big difference but the amount you buff likely does. I use Lucas Slick Mist detailer and find it seems better than some of the other products I have used but that may just be my imagination. And by the way, I live on 2 km of gravel so dust is also my enemy. Good luck and if you do find a cure for clinging dust, PLEASE post it...lol...

It makes sense. I’ve been buffing when I dry because the detail spray hazes a little. I’m going to try and use use just the microfibre drying towel next time I wash. I’ll ask my buddy how he dries his car too.
Or get this lol

47CC974F-4B51-4397-B2AB-DFD33920B83C.jpeg

To solve that problem on the combine I bolted a 3/8 chain to the rear frame and let it drag on the ground , it took away the static electricity that would build up on the machine causing dust to stick to it. Not sure if you wanna drag one behind the Vette but Princess Auto has nice chrome chain that would look good.........:facepalm:.........

.....seriously the Lucas Slick Mist like Rruuff stated is pretty good stuff .

the Corvette is low enough
maybe this accessory might
reduce dust attracting static
by dragging ...
View attachment 27883
Hahaha I would do it but we have kids in the neighbourhood always asking questions about the car. That would make for a really awkward conversation with a kid lol

I’ll look for that Lucas stuff and give it a try too

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
the joys of a black car. what can you do. lots of pollen this time of year too. i found the best strategy is parking inside with an indoor cover, but be warned, you will be incentified to drive it less.....and lifes 2 short for that

the joys of a black car. what can you do. lots of pollen this time of year too. i found the best strategy is parking inside with an indoor cover, but be warned, you will be incentified to drive it less.....and lifes 2 short for that

I park my car in the garage. And if I was to choose between driving it and getting dust all over it or keeping it inside and dust free? I’d choose to drive it with no hesitation. I just wish I could have both haha

Reactions: Hotrodron
Hey Spence,

I recently put carbotech pads on the car which was night and day difference in terms of how much dust it has now compared to stock.
I got the Hawk rotors with Hawk ceramic pads last spring. Virtually no dust and no squeal compared to the OEMs that were replaced. Just over 2200 kms on them now when I get going in a few weeks.

I park my car in the garage. And if I was to choose between driving it and getting dust all over it or keeping it inside and dust free? I’d choose to drive it with no hesitation. I just wish I could have both haha

I’m tending to agree that it’s the detailer you are using. I do the same thing and finish up the drying with detailer and microfibre where needed. (Sometimes everywhere) My 3 black Corvettes has went through this phenomenon as well. I’m using a couple now that do not seem to present this problem... or reduce it anyway. It’s a black car so ya we are screwed. But if you love black that’s the way it goes. I have the slick mist in the cupboard but haven’t tried it yet. These below seem to work good for me.
CA492CDD-1784-473F-BD32-D07410CEC935.jpeg
EA8C051E-F1FC-4422-8FE9-EE920D5411C1.jpeg
9713ACA4-878F-4D5A-82BB-5DF9435CD38F.jpeg
BCC88D1F-5405-4432-9027-623A60776282.jpeg

I’m tending to agree that it’s the detailer you are using. I do the same thing and finish up the drying with detailer and microfibre where needed. (Sometimes everywhere) My 3 black Corvettes has went through this phenomenon as well. I’m using a couple now that do not seem to present this problem... or reduce it anyway. It’s a black car so ya we are screwed. But if you love black that’s the way it goes. I have the slick mist in the cupboard but haven’t tried it yet. These below seem to work good for me.
View attachment 27898View attachment 27899View attachment 27900View attachment 27901
I like Meguiars and Auto Glym products. Our vehicles are not left outside, so the sun and weather don't get to them the same. Easy on and easy off is important when you get to be my age.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.