Machine

I'm New Here
Apr 22, 2018
Vancouver bc
VetteCoins
Car
2007 corvette z51
I recently imported a 2007 corvette it has drl but they can be switched off which is not allowed in canada. I dont want to chop hack wiring and was wondering if it can be programmed to disable the off function.

I would expect that you will never get into trouble if you never switch them off. It's hard to believe that having the ability to turn them off alone is illegal... We have the ability to turn these cars up to 300 kph as well but it's not illegal unless we do it.... JMO

Reactions: ddgermann
I know its ridiculous. Took it to get inspected today and it failed for that same reason of you can turn the drls off. I did some searching and apparently u can make the changes necessary with a tech 2 gm scan tool. Anyone around lowermainland have one?

I know its ridiculous. Took it to get inspected today and it failed for that same reason of you can turn the drls off. I did some searching and apparently u can make the changes necessary with a tech 2 gm scan tool. Anyone around lowermainland have one?

I don’t know why the shop doing the inspection didn’t offer to do it for you if a scan tool is all that’s required.

Have you consulted a Dealer?
This is why I only use dealerships for my corvettes. Ok not always perfect but man it’s the place to start with a car you just bought new or otherwise.
Mod shops are great but for stock corvettes ... always the dealer.

Good luck

D

Dealer will do it but won't do it for 10 days and wants 250bux. Cant believe it's such a hard thing to do some dealerships dont even know what I am talking about. Seems like a simple thing to do with a tech2. Cant believe there's no local shops that carry a tech 2. Anyone have one or know a good shop to go to that would have one.

Glad you have confirmed there is a simple programming solution. I fully understand why you do not want to wait 10 days. Like you...I would want to be driving and enjoying the car asap.
Hope you find a scanner today..

Reactions: Machine
Hello MACHINE..
Have you tried Can Tire for this work..
Honestly.. I believe they do most of the inspections for cars from out of province or in from the US.
They can probably do this upgrade.

Graham
Graham brings up a good point. Cdn Tire does a whole lot of the inspections, surely if they cant handle the request they should be able to provide you with a referral.... Congrats on the car. Great riding weather in Vancouver hope you get it handled quickly.

I would not let Canadian Tire cut into anything. Get it programmed to work even if it costs you a few bucks.

My "auto on" headlights were shut off so they only work on manual now. Saves the headlight mechanism when you really don't need the lights on, like the garage.

Good luck.

I would not let Canadian Tire cut into anything. Good luck.

Oh C'mon Murray... CT have a great reputation. You don't get this kind of work at just any shop you know...

1524579923492.png

Machine, I had Manny at DaSilva Motorsport do it for me. I don't think there was much to it. He also did my column lock and skip shift elimination at the same time. As far as I know it was all done via the computer.

Good luck getting yours sorted out. Wiring scares me and having someone cut into the harness would be troublesome. Maybe a boat trailer but not my Corvette.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Ok got it done guys thanks everyone for their input and feedback. So a guy at my work knew a guy that had a tech 2 he came over and 2mins later I'm good to go. However I a really good shop in surrey Warren Walker performance they did hook me up with a guy that would have done the job later this week but they were very helpful at Warren walker. Highly recommend them I will be using them in the future for sure. Gm dealers suck stay away.

Ok got it done guys thanks everyone for their input and feedback. So a guy at my work knew a guy that had a tech 2 he came over and 2mins later I'm good to go. However I a really good shop in surrey Warren Walker performance they did hook me up with a guy that would have done the job later this week but they were very helpful at Warren walker. Highly recommend them I will be using them in the future for sure. Gm dealers suck stay away.

“GM dealers suck”. Lol. Where do you think Corvettes come from.

Maybe your dealer sucks... mine is fine. Lol

Glad you got you light on.

I have bought/brought my last 5 or 6 cars from the US.
They ALL have to go through a federal inspection at Canadian Tire.
That is why we pay the $200 for federal inspection when they come across the border.
Canadian Tire can also do provincial inspections, which MUST be done in BC.

In all my cases, Canadian Tire had to turn them (DRLs) on, because they are NOT mandatory in the US.
This is done via a software change using a device which plugs into the ODBD port.
This in effect is the same setting which stops them from being turned off.

I don't know where you got your inspection done, but if it was Canadia Tire, go back
and tell the service manager to do things right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.