Casual User
Aug 29, 2022
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Z06
Province
ON
Hi everyone,

Anybody ever driven their car across the border to get tuning or work done ? I was going to drive my car down to Katech have my wife follow me and bring me back while I leave the car there and am wondering if I will get any issues.

Thanks

It will depend on what you get done.
If you disclose the truth, you might have to pay gst on the value of the work at the discretion of the border agent (sometimes the truth gets you through without anything more). Certain parts may have duty as well. Tires will get the tire tax. I am not sure if they collect provincial tax as an AB resident, it is 0% for me.
But it will really depend on what work gets done and perhaps why (as in a breakdown).
Roll of the Dice otherwise … 😇

On our trek around the states a few years back, we lost the fuel pump, on the first day. Got it fixed at a dealer in Fort Wayne, and carried on. 10 days later, crossing into Canada at Vancouver, border staff asked if I had had any work done on the car. I said yes. He then, after a quick glance at his computer, told me how much I spent knew what work was done and said I was supposed to declare it! I said sorry didn't know. He let me through. The lesson is Big Brother is watching, honesty is the best policy.

I bought new rear tires for my Grand Sport on one of our trips south for the winter. Declared them when we returned and paid the GST. No hassle from the border guys and still WAY cheaper than if I bought them in Canada. Be honest and declare what you spent!

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents and YFCvii
I am not sure what to tell them…
I drive down in the fall and fly home at least twice, before I bring our car home, late in April. The car is never mentioned and why would it be. They are interested in us humans and how many days we stay in the US and by the way, you enter the US by car and you are coming back by car. That is all it is!

I drive down in the fall and fly home at least twice, before I bring our car home, late in April. The car is never mentioned and why would it be. They are interested in us humans and how many days we stay in the US and by the way, you enter the US by car and you are coming back by car. That is all it is!
You were on a shopping trip and so buy yourself a polo shirt, ha!

It will depend on what you get done.
If you disclose the truth, you might have to pay gst on the value of the work at the discretion of the border agent (sometimes the truth gets you through without anything more). Certain parts may have duty as well. Tires will get the tire tax. I am not sure if they collect provincial tax as an AB resident, it is 0% for me.
But it will really depend on what work gets done and perhaps why (as in a breakdown).
Roll of the Dice otherwise … 😇
If you get a gear head at the border and lie, you’re screwed.

Hi everyone,

Anybody ever driven their car across the border to get tuning or work done ? I was going to drive my car down to Katech have my wife follow me and bring me back while I leave the car there and am wondering if I will get any issues.

Thanks
They will not know what work is done. Tires is about the only thing they can tell if new or not. Even then, highly doubt they even question it. As long as you go and purchase other items and declare that and have another purpose for entering USA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.