ronlea

Casual User
Aug 3, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
2005 Corvette
Put a new battery in and than put away for the winter. Used a battery tender and after coming out of storage it started a couple times no problem. Sat over night with no tender, started once shut is off now no start and I get msg. Service column lock. Have it on a tender again. Maybe I got a bad battery. Does G. M. Have a fix for this. Thanks Paul

If its the column lock issue that is causing your problem, GM did the column lock repair on my 2001. Not sure what they actually did but my column no longer locks at any time. I can turn the wheel without the car being started, or even without the key in the ignition. I don't have to worry about it locking up while I am driving at least.
If you are going to bring it to a dealer, probably best to call first and talk to the service department and see if they do that before you make the trip.
Good luck with your repair.

Put a new battery in and than put away for the winter. Used a battery tender and after coming out of storage it started a couple times no problem. Sat over night with no tender, started once shut is off now no start and I get msg. Service column lock. Have it on a tender again. Maybe I got a bad battery. Does G. M. Have a fix for this. Thanks Paul
When I bought my 98 at age 6, I became aware of the steering lock issue, so brought it to a local Chevy dealer for the recall service...which disabled the lock. However, a few years ago the steering locked up on me while driving...thankfully in a parking lot and not on the highway. Brought it to a different dealer...they established that because my C5 had come up from the US (I bought it from a dealer here), they were programmed differently so the Canadian version of the recall fix didn't work properly. They applied the US fix...and after that I had no further issues. Not sure about the C6 as I skipped ahead to my current C7, but GM didn't even bother to attempt a steering lock on it.

You need the LMC5 module with the unlocker .Around 45.00 USD on line . This is a known issue with earlier C5 and this is the fix and works great , at least it did for me on my wife’s manual 2000 C5 . Fairly easy to install .

Mark

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
You need the LMC5 module with the unlocker .Around 45.00 USD on line . This is a known issue with earlier C5 and this is the fix and works great , at least it did for me on my wife’s manual 2000 C5 . Fairly easy to install .

Mark
Sorry just realized this is on your C6 , not sure if the fix is the same for the C6 as it was for the C5 .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.