Jun 6, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
1985 Corvette
Hello,
My 1985 Corvette has a very hard time finding first gear. When it is in neutral, if you push the shifter to the left, it gets stuck in what feels like the reverse lockout area. You need to gingerly guide the shift lever to the right of this stopped feel and forward for first gear.

This shifter was good until I had new tires put on. If it is a coincidence, or just the time to get my shifter to act up, I don't really know. When I first got the car the problem existed and I thought I cured it by wire brushing the linkage and lubing it. I tried doing the same thing that originally cured the problem and it didn't work this time. I didn't want to go back to the tire shop and raise havoc.

By looking at the shifter from a bird's eye view, nothing looks abnormal. Any ideas?

Welcome Shark. I cannot see changing the wheels would have an impact on the shifter but I wonder about the person who drove the car at the shop. Possible something was forced in the shifter if they were not used to your car? Difficult thing to prove and probably not worth the aggravation.

Seems like an odd coincidence but who knows. Is their a rebuild kit available for the Doug Nash shifters?

Good luck getting it sorted out. Nice looking car by the way, thanks for posting up the pictures.

Hello Black Z06,
Thank you for your kind words. A few years ago I looked for a reason to chew someone out, now that I am older and hopefully more collective, I just drove the car home as it was. Because I had the problem before, I figured the same cure would work and it didn't.

With my mechanical mind and motivation to fix things, I am going ballsy trying to sort this out. I think if I get the motivation, I'll remove the driver's seat and unbolt the tunnel and have a look.

Your ZO6 is awesome. They do require a neutral gate adjustment every 50k or so, simple to do. You tube shows a guy named Froggy perform this operation.

Take Care ,
Shark
(I think you have You Tube in Canada)

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Welcome to the forum Sharkface. Hope you get your shifter figured out. That would definitely be frustrating.
Is You tube like a TV tube or something? We have VCR. Actually, tomorrow is National VCR day here.

national-vcr-day-june-7.jpg

Just kidding Shark... Yeah. we have Youtube :rofl:

Not to derail this thread but Eric do you recall those VCR that had the little tiny wheels with teeth on them that you had to spin endless to try to find your favourite shot to record. Although I feel left behind in the "electronic" world we have come a long way.

Hello and Thanks... I decided not to screw with taking the council (counsel) off again especially the driver's seat removal, etc. to view the entire shifter. I thought I'd just go for a ride this morning and get a paper. My restoration of the shift boot, cup holder cover, and repainting of the council just looked more like, "Hop in and drive Me".

Maybe I'm just too particular with the shifter?

Shark
Welcome to the forum Sharkface. Hope you get your shifter figured out. That would definitely be frustrating.
Is You tube like a TV tube or something? We have VCR. Actually, tomorrow is National VCR day here.

View attachment 17344

Just kidding Shark... Yeah. we have Youtube :rofl:
I should think anyone has You Tube if you have the internet. I love the You Tube channels, anything from auto restoration, to the 3 stooges, to country guitar lessons. Heck my album is also on You Tube. www.lubolink.com. I played in Canada at a major Blues Festival about 10 yrs ago.
I played bass with LA Jones and The Blues Messengers. I remember it as being in New Brunswick, Canada. It was the Maxim Blues Festival.

Reactions: ddgermann
Hi Sharkface....
Try putting the car in reverse before putting it in first gear.
My limited experience has told me this does seem to line things up in the tranny.

Graham
Thanks I'll try that. The restored council, shift boot and knob look so good, I don't want to take it apart again. I think I'll just live with it and get used to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 20
Well Today I think I have enough motivation to find the culprit with my shifter. The top of the council is off and now just (4)13mm bolts to remove the driver's seat and then the left side of the council. I guess I'll find out how it comes apart soon enough. I ordered an alignment tool and it should be here today. I think I'll attempt making a video of my progress. wish me luck.

Reactions: ddgermann
Adjustment of Doug Nash 4+3 shifter linkage (1985 C4)
Just wondering,
Now that the driver's seat is out and the left counsel cover off, most of the shifter is exposed. I should say, the neutral adjustment slot is exposed. The trans tunnel is still covering the adjustment nuts at the end of the linkage bars,(toward the front of the car).

Are these adjustment nuts easier to reach by jacking the car up and from underneath? Should the transmission tunnel be removed from the interior of the car to gain access?
There is a cover that needs to be removed before the linkage rod adjustment nuts can be exposed. If it is better to remove the transmission tunnel, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks Again,
Sharkface

Hello Viking,
Nice C4 you are sporting, and the right color. Here's what I found out so far: After removing the driver's seat and left side of the counsel, the alignment hole is visible. I sent for an alignment tool at Eckler's Corvette. Although it is for a newer C4, it fits. My shifter alignment is not out, when in neutral, the tool slips all the way in. I contacted a Corvette transmission rebuilder in NY. After a long discussion, we concurred that my shifter is just worn out. Where the stick meets the shift levers, is the problem. I can see the shifter missing the 1st gear lever by 1/16 of an inch or so. Because I am so particular, I have to fix this. I ordered a used shifter from a bone yard in Texas. I'm still waiting for it and hoping it is the holy grail of this dilemma.
If you find out your issue is the neutral alignment, it is fixable yourself. The only way to adjust the rods is from the front of the trans. Yes, this means jacking up the car safely and putting it on stands, etc. I hate jacking up my car, it seems something always goes incorrectly. In 1985, there are also mechanical switches under the linkage bars. If you unscrew them and clean the spring, you are helping the shifting, however, I wouldn't check this except as a last resort. 1984,85,86 shared transmissions so one could expect almost anything when the whole transmission is exposed.
I'll keep you posted on my progress...
Good Luck,
Shark

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.