Ontario Ontario
Aug 24, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
87 Corvette
Province
ON
Hello,

can't seem to find a gasket for my 87 4+3 OD Transmission. By the time I order one from the U.S I'm look at $50 with shipping for a $7.00 gasket and
I don't have much luck using RTV gasket maker. If anyone knows where I could get one locally in Ontario, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

can't seem to find a gasket for my 87 4+3 OD Transmission. By the time I order one from the U.S I'm look at $50 with shipping for a $7.00 gasket and
I don't have much luck using RTV gasket maker. If anyone knows where I could get one locally in Ontario, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

If you can't find a gasket locally, try rockauto.com or you should be able to buy a sheet of gasket material and make your own using the old one as a guide or the pan itself.

If you're anywhere near the US border, you could use a service such as Kinek, as a drop box for US shipping. If you can take the trip for less than $50, and are vaxed enough to cross the border, it could be done for the $10 service charge. I've shipped plenty of things like that, and saved a bunch of money!

Hello,

Thanks
Hi Sam, how did you make out with the gasket? I'm in Ontario as well, and will be looking for this come Spring. Looks like we both have '87s, hope to see you out on the roads!

Yes i was able to find one E bay for 20 bucks. I can send you a link if you still cant locate one. Hopefully I can enjoy it more next summer as last some had digital dash issues that drove me nuts.
If you're anywhere near the US border, you could use a service such as Kinek, as a drop box for US shipping. If you can take the trip for less than $50, and are vaxed enough to cross the border, it could be done for the $10 service charge. I've shipped plenty of things like that, and saved a bunch of money!
Thanks for the tip. I recently ordered new weather striping from Wilcox corvette and was totally hosed on shipping cost...lol
Lol

Reactions: JJTL
when i did mine i remembered something about a ford part. found this, dropping it here for other 4+3 owners.

c4cruiser , 09-28-2009 12:12 PM
CF Senior Member
11k.gif

The OD filter is the same as the one used in Ford FMX trannies. Here's some other parts numbers:

CarQuest 85926
AC Delco TF-184
FRAM FT1024
NAPA ATP 14717
Ford D0AZ-7A098-A

None of these filters come with the rubber grommet so you have to re-use the old one. You can get grommets from McMaster-Carr They come in a package of 10 for around $12 shipped. The grommet is p/n 9307K53 Push-in Flexible Rubber Grommet, MS 35489-17 AN 931-10-145/8" ID, 1 1/8" OD.

Also, when you clean out the pan, make sure the pan rails are straight (use a straight edge) and clean of all old gasket or RTV material. Don't forget to replace the magnet. Same with the rail on the OD case; clean and dry.

A cork gasket is not necessary as a good RTV sealant like The Right Stuff or the MoPar RTV sealant works fine. Run a 1/8" bead of sealant around the pan rails and a full circle around the bolt holes and install the pan immediately. Tighten all the bolt equally to about 6-8 ft-lbs. Refill with Dexron III ATF. I would not use a synthetic ATF in the OD.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.