mine is what they call din and a half. i put a Boss double din in my car and it fit. i have an 87 coupe. im thinking maybe after 91 i think it was when the dash was revamped.

I have a 85. i want to put a double din in but not sure if i could use a double din dash bracket and then modify the dash trim. Using the aftermarket wiring harness. except for the speakers running them separately to replaced aftermarket speakers.
Any thoughts or suggestions.

Nope, gotta do a custom job.

If they ever did do double din openings in the c4, it would be the later style interior. They switched in 1990. Not totally sure, but I think even those are still a 1.5 din opening.

nything before 1990 has the 1.5 din.

I had to customize my center bezel and the structure inside the dash to fit a 2 din radio:

DBDCA38D-C264-44D2-9F5A-C1FA94A34354.jpeg

E4822240-5E50-4C09-87A4-309D39945237.jpeg

Thats a couple weeks of cutting, measuring, plastic welding and fabrication, sanding, filling and painting. That was just to make the bezel. I bought a used one off Ebay to cut up instead of my original. It looks pretty good, but I still have to do a bit more touch up work to get it up to my standards. I put it in the way it is because it was driving season and I got tired of staring at the mess the dash was in.

I also had to make custom mounting brackets. it really is a full custom job, if tou want it to look “right”. If you're not overly concerned with how it looks, just cut the hole bigger and jam one in there. But its going to look like a dogs butt and everyone that sees it is gonna giggle a little bit....

While I was at it, I turfed that stupid bread loaf and made a glove box on the passenger side:

EBA6152D-70F4-439A-81C9-63F340553509.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s the first time I’ve seen the bread box delete done. Looks sweet tour. Wanna whip one up for me. 🤟🏼
Sure.

500 bucks (shipping extra) and you should have it by next august.

But at least thats 500 cdn, which is worth less and less every day...😳

on a more serious note: I am considering pulling it back out and making a fiberglass mold of it. Its nice and solid in the 1/8” aluminum, but its pretty heavy for what it is. In fiberglass it will weigh less and be easier to smooth to that perfect finish.

Once I’ve got a mold made, it would be pretty easy to pump out a couple extras. It would be a raw fiberglass piece though, guys would have to finish them up themselves. .

Last edited:
Sure.

500 bucks (shipping extra) and you should have it by next august.

But at least thats 500 cdn, which is worth less and less every day...😳

on a more serious note: I am considering pulling it back out and making a fiberglass mold of it. Its nice and solid in the 1/8” aluminum, but its pretty heavy for what it is. In fiberglass it will weigh less and be easier to smooth to that perfect finish.

Once I’ve got a mold made, it would be pretty easy to pump out a couple extras. It would be a raw fiberglass piece though, guys would have to finish them up themselves. .
Have you thought of laying up some Carbon Fiber?

Have you thought of laying up some Carbon Fiber?
Nope. I don’t work in CF.

I know too much about potential health hazards that I just don’t want to mess with it. More than half of my helicopter was made from carbon fibre so I know it limitations, its advantages and its hazards. Don’t want to mess with it outside of an industrial setting.

polyester resin and glass matte is about as far as I will go in a “home” setting...

Nope, gotta do a custom job.

If they ever did do double din openings in the c4, it would be the later style interior. They switched in 1990. Not totally sure, but I think even those are still a 1.5 din opening.

nything before 1990 has the 1.5 din.

I had to customize my center bezel and the structure inside the dash to fit a 2 din radio:

View attachment 37896

View attachment 37895

Thats a couple weeks of cutting, measuring, plastic welding and fabrication, sanding, filling and painting. That was just to make the bezel. I bought a used one off Ebay to cut up instead of my original. It looks pretty good, but I still have to do a bit more touch up work to get it up to my standards. I put it in the way it is because it was driving season and I got tired of staring at the mess the dash was in.

I also had to make custom mounting brackets. it really is a full custom job, if tou want it to look “right”. If you're not overly concerned with how it looks, just cut the hole bigger and jam one in there. But its going to look like a dogs butt and everyone that sees it is gonna giggle a little bit....

While I was at it, I turfed that stupid bread loaf and made a glove box on the passenger side:

View attachment 37898

Anyway you can make more of the center bezel like the you have? Been looking to do the same thing as my Bose amps are shot and looking to replace the system.

I know your throat is about double din’s, just throwing it out there what I did was pull my 1.5 Din and replace it with a single din with a view screen on the single din added a back up camera that looks factory in the rear, and purchased the single din kit with the half didn’t storage pocket which gave me an extra slot for my phone wallet etc. which as we all know is desperately needed in the C4. Just throwing that out there. Good luck with your project

Reactions: Stanky86
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread