Featured Thread

Norm07

Casual User
Feb 11, 2018
Beamsville
VetteCoins
Car
2000 C5 Coupe
Another heads up for Rob F. One of the things I have tried to do in my limited progress is to take the "Big Job" and break it down in to small ones. With winter upon us some days a construction heater in the garage just doesn't heat enough to work comfortably in the garage. So I have the garage jobs and the basement jobs. I looked at my two doors and saw these as a big challenge....3 coats of pain plus undercoat....it had to be done. I researched different methods of stripping. My findings....soda blasting? You really have to have someone that knows what they are doing or there is potential to do a lot of damage. Also there are some opinions out there that the residue if not cleaned properly interferes with your finish. Chemical stripping? Risk of damaging your fibreglass if not done correctly, leftover stripper in the nooks and crannies and the need for respirator and good ventilation, even with the doors open. After all this I have opted for the old fashioned way...elbow grease, razor blade, lots of 80 grit sandpaper.....and one of these bad boys....possibly the scariest tool I have ever used...
IMG_4862.JPG

So I used the razor blades to strip the flat surfaces.....

IMG_3385.JPG IMG_3386.JPG IMG_3387.JPG

You can see the black primer under the top coat. This is the nastiest stuff when you get to the sanding. The black dust gets absolutely everywhere. So the glass came out of the door along with all the hardware.

IMG_4369.JPG

The three coats of paint... pretty nasty

IMG_4413.JPG IMG_4412.JPG IMG_4449.JPG IMG_4458.JPG

And a Vehicle tag, that I had to save....lots of thought on whether this goes back on or I get a reproduction, I was able to get it off but it's a little rough around the edges...

IMG_4437.JPG IMG_4439.JPG

You can see the original Ontario Orange .....its going back to that colour. So a little random orbit sander with 60 grit to take off most of the undercoating then hand sanding with 80 grit down to bare fibreglass. I found the previous paint job was undercoating on to bare fiberglass on the exterior of the car. All jambs etc are primer, Orange,primer, yellow, primer then red....whew!

IMG_4860.JPG

And last but not least that scary tool to do the jambs.... worked great but dirty messy and dusty with more scraping and sanding in the nooks and crannies...

IMG_4857.JPG IMG_4858.JPG IMG_4859.JPG

I was lucky as the doors are nice and sound with no rust. Quite satisfied with the results.

I think I got the most satisfaction with being able to drill out and re tap a broken mirror mount screw. Still have to fiberglass the two extra screw holes "Bubba" made to mount the Caprice ???? Mirror.

IMG_4861.JPG

This was a ton of work, and the second one wasn't any better. Just about ready for paint!

Attachments

• IMG_4411.JPG
    IMG_4411.JPG
    625.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4430.JPG
    IMG_4430.JPG
    693.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2636.JPG
    IMG_2636.JPG
    551.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4382.JPG
    IMG_4382.JPG
    751.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    612.5 KB · Views: 16
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.