Casual User
Sep 2, 2015
Trenton Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1978 Silver Anni
Province
ON
I was looking at a 1977 c3 and the door gap is very nice at the back and bottom of the doors(both side same) and the front of the door and back of fender is bigger at the top and closer at the bottom, verysimilar both sides. Is this a body mount or fame issue?????

....these cars were not " precision " made. You can play around with the door hinge adjustment and latch pin and try get a happy medium. I adjusted mine so that the door height matches the peak that carries onto the rear fender just past the door handle. When I look in the rear view mirror it looks right. I looked at other cars and most are " Off " someplace. Unless it had body work to shape and shave the door, head light doors etc then that is just how they are from what I know and seen.

I understand better now what you are seeing. My right side is like that but the left is good, I just take it as that is a plastic car and nothing I can do about it. The molds are probably worn out by the time my 82 was made. I never had a C3 body off so not sure if there is a solution to what you describe. I strongly doubt the frame is at fault. If the front mounts can be shimmed up that might close that gap some . There are a few guys on here that can give a better answer than me as to possible solution and limitations.

My front clip was nose down also. I am pretty sure (now that I have torn it all apart) that it was "fixed" and glued on improperly. It is possible that the front supports have shifted down and it has sagged over time also. There are some bolted supports right at the nose (at least on '73) that have slots they mount in. You could look there and see where they are sitting.

T

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
Thanks, it just looked very suspicious to me, as both side where close and the back gap was very good.
I might go look at the car again, I told the guy I wanted a certification before I bought the car, he seemed reluctant, but emailed me yesterday and said he would.

....these cars were not " precision " made. You can play around with the door hinge adjustment and latch pin and try get a happy medium. I adjusted mine so that the door height matches the peak that carries onto the rear fender just past the door handle. When I look in the rear view mirror it looks right. I looked at other cars and most are " Off " someplace. Unless it had body work to shape and shave the door, head light doors etc then that is just how they are from what I know and seen.
I have the Berlina original 1982 paint and won’t fix but I would definitely rework at the front of the doors if I ever do paint.

Ya, I have those issues as well on my 77. The rear of my door is perfect and the front is perfect but at the top the gap gets bigger. However it almost looks like they made my door too big. At the max adjustments my door sits about 1/8” high on my passenger side and flush on the drivers side but the bottom of the door is 1/4” too big. It did bug me but if anyone asks that’s what happens when it’s hand built.

Ya, I have those issues as well on my 77. The rear of my door is perfect and the front is perfect but at the top the gap gets bigger. However it almost looks like they made my door too big. At the max adjustments my door sits about 1/8” high on my passenger side and flush on the drivers side but the bottom of the door is 1/4” too big. It did bug me but if anyone asks that’s what happens when it’s hand built.
Good chance you are the only one who will ever notice Jr. It's all good man!

In the old days, the manufacturers weren't very fussy about fit and finish. They were selling all they could build anyway. Our old '69 Chevelles had poor fit and finish. My Chevelle, not quite three years old was in for rust repair in both front fenders, a common problem, and a full paint job to correct other finish problems. When new the 427 had rings in five of the eight cylinders that didn't seat properly and needed a re-ring in the first six months. Be glad they don't build them the way they used too.

• Useful
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.