Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
Hey Folks,

This is way off topic but I do see a number of you are still using Yahoo email addresses. If you are do read this link for some sound advice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/technology/yahoo-hack.html?_r=0

The bottom line is that Yahoo email accounts were breached several times around 2013/2014 and possibly later. Around 1 billion accounts were lifted. This means two things:

1. Your yahoo security questions, details etc were lifted and have or may be sold to spammers/fraudsters in future
2. Yahoo doesn't take security very seriously (until recently when Verizon tried to buy them)

My advice, do NOT use yahoo email services. There are plenty of email providers out there that are low cost or free or ultra private/secure if that's your thing. Gmail, zoho, microsoft and others provide email services that take security (not so much privacy in the case of Google) very seriously. Use them.

Another point most of us are guilty of, re-using passwords. Don't do it. If you like me have serious issues remembering strong passwords consider subscribing to password services like lastpass.com and dashlane. They offer online and/or offline encrypted storage of your passwords and will generate very strong/unguessable passwords for every online service/bank you use.

In this day and age more and more services are heavily reliant on email as the primary user identifier so it becomes much more relevant to have a good provider on your side even if it's no longer a free provider.

Take care.

Thanks boss and on another note IF you change your yahoo email or any email for that matter don't forget to update your email on CCF. We periodically and automatically check for bounced emails and the board will automatically put you in a semi-suspended state until you update your email address to a valid one.

Thanks boss and on another note IF you change your yahoo email or any email for that matter don't forget to update your email on CCF. We periodically and automatically check for bounced emails and the board will automatically put you in a semi-suspended state until you update your email address to a valid one.
I announced my retirement in June and have been in a semi-suspended state ever since that anyway......:D

Reactions: Nik
I wonder how this impacts Rogers email service as it has always been hosted by Yahoo. I have changed passwords and questions several times since the breach but have always wondered if Rogers info was compromised in the same breaches. Don't ever remember getting a specific notification from Rogers although I get so many spam notices about my Rogers account being suspended I may have trashed a legitimate notice at some point.

I wonder how this impacts Rogers email service as it has always been hosted by Yahoo. I have changed passwords and questions several times since the breach but have always wondered if Rogers info was compromised in the same breaches. Don't ever remember getting a specific notification from Rogers although I get so many spam notices about my Rogers account being suspended I may have trashed a legitimate notice at some point.

More info here:
Does the Yahoo breach affect Rogers customers? - Rogers Community

I'm not a fan of yahoo......... Its hard to create multi accounts with them. We have youngsters in my family and we like monitoring their email accounts. After my 12 year old niece used Carebear69 as her name on social media.

I'm not a fan of yahoo......... Its hard to create multi accounts with them. We have youngsters in my family and we like monitoring their email accounts. After my 12 year old niece used Carebear69 as her name on social media.

Don't use yahoo and don't use your internet service provider emails either. Becomes complicated when you move.

We just like monitoring the younger ones as a family deal..... When the nephew or nieces are here they use my laptop and their social media is checked after they leave. Make sure they didn't get into places, etc... compromise their safety, etc..... It helps my cousin is also RCMP so we do it via her phone for the text, etc... verification, so they can't open an email account us adults can't access. Too many perverts on the net..........

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.