Spectre

Casual User
Jul 20, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
VetteCoins
Car
981 Boxster GTS
I'm not trying to start a flame war. Just hear me out. I know I have to decide this for myself, but I find it helpful to get my thoughts out of my head and listen to feedback. I've also posted this on stingrayforums.com and will likely put it on my blog (just my initial post) sometime as well.

I now know (after the latest test drive) I must have MSRC in my Z51 equipped C7. Unofficially, Canadian GS prices start about 3700 over a similarly equipped Z51/MRSC. It's certainly within realm of doable. Cost is not the issue. Though I would certainly not be getting the Z07 package were I to choose the GS, because....

I don't go to the track. I get my jollies on lovely narrow mountain roads at my disposable all over this province (near and far away). I certainly don't "need" the increased limits of the GS... it's plenty easy enough to get into trouble/kill myself/harm others if I was trying to push even a base Stingray on these mountains. It would also be cheaper in the long run with replacing the smaller brakes and narrower tire's of the Stingray vs the GS. Again, cost not the issue, but it's worth mentioning.

It's also worth mentioning the thought of driving the wide body car with its 285s up front and 335s in the rear in even light rain (yes, Virginia, some of us drive our sports cars in the wet), and likelihood of losing grip all too easily. Remember, I'm on Vancouver Island. It rains a lot here. At least I have the luxury of driving my cars (virtually) year round.

So, "practically" speaking (can you believe anyone attempting to argue logic when choosing a 460hp, RWD, 2 seater?!), the Z51 makes more sense. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, virtually no dynamic penalties for my driving needs, and possibly even a bit more usable as a daily driver given the tires.

BUT.... I'd be willing (like most of you, I'd imagine), to forego any considerations for rationality and worship at the temple of LUST. That's why we buy these things and not Chevy Cruzes, right?

Except.... my eyes can't seem to reconcile (what I consider to be) the visual hodgepodge that is the C7 wide body GS or Z06. To my eyes, the front fender flare additions look like cheap add-ons, and I dislike the way the rear flares' roundedness seems to clash when added to the foundation of the Stingray's sharp creases. I do much prefer the grille and side skirts on the wide bodied cars, but that's an easy thing to import into a narrow body C7.

I'm not asking for people to say "YEAH, you go girl!" (er, I'm a guy), or "EFF YOU, anyone who doesn't like flares is un-American!" (which we all are on this site, obviously). I'm just trying to see if anyone else is perhaps in the same shoes as me: looking at getting a Corvette, can afford a model above a Z51 (though I admit a Z06 is outside my own budget) optioned just the way they want, but steps back and goes..... I dunno.

[side note: I have practiced this behaviour before. I chose a Boxster GTS over the Spyder last year because 1) the long gearing of all Porsches makes even 330 hp in a 3000 lb roadster too easy to go ballistic in, I certainly don't feel like the car needs the additional 45 hp of the Spyder, and 2) I MUCH preferred the beautiful lines of the standard Boxsters over the double hump of the Spyder. I appear to be in the minority there, but it's true]

For fairness, I think the wide body look is best suited to darker cars/metallics, and they HAVE to be lowered. The wheel gap is comically truck-like. If I went GS, it would be Black Rose, or (against my own argument) Arctic White. Why? Because I think the narrow body also looks best in Arctic White. Especially like this:

image.jpeg

*swoon*

Ok, you may now commence telling me I'm crazy. Thanks for listening, everyone.

Reactions: Ducst4
Interesting. No right , no wrong.
I do love them both... but I went with the Z51 for some of the same reasons i.e what "do" you do with 650 hp if you are not going to track the car....and in the end... I liked the sleeker look of the Z51.
Honestly, I have to say.... I'm not a fan of the spoiler on the ZO6..... of course. that's personal choice.

Reactions: Spectre
Having put both a Z51 Stingray and Z06 side by side (Les' car), I have to admit that the Z06 does look more agressive and more menacing, so I do like the look of it. That said, I also will bet you that 99% of the population can't tell the difference between the two. For me the Z51 is more than enough car and the additional costs of ownership for a Z06 aren't worth it unless you consistently track the car. I've yet to experience a moment when I've thought that the car needed 200 more hp... quite the opposite. I find myself having to hold back on the throttle because it's very easy to post big numbers with the NA LT1.

Reactions: Gage and Spectre
Gotta say it... Personally I think this thread is a bait thread which makes me question the fact that a new guy posted it, and then copied and pasted it same on other Vette sites. Your vette is your personal choice from selection right down to what you do to make personalize it any further. I really don't care what you don't like about the Z06, nor do I care what you don't like about the C7. It baits those that like to jump in to such threads and they inevidably turn bad...because they were started bad. Old skill I learned years ago is that when someone says, "I am not lying to you when I tell you...."; it means they are lying. The same holds true when someone jumps creates a thread "I'm not trying to start a flame war".

Welcome and if you want advice, we are here for that but we really don't care for you to join as a new guy and then spout off about what you don't like about this and that. It's is your car if and when you buyit...not ours.

Gotta say it... Personally I think this thread is a bait thread which makes me question the fact that a new guy posted it, and then copied and pasted it same on other Vette sites. Your vette is your personal choice from selection right down to what you do to make personalize it any further. I really don't care what you don't like about the Z06, nor do I care what you don't like about the C7. It baits those that like to jump in to such threads and they inevidably turn bad...because they were started bad. Old skill I learned years ago is that when someone says, "I am not lying to you when I tell you...."; it means they are lying. The same holds true when someone jumps creates a thread "I'm not trying to start a flame war".

Welcome and if you want advice, we are here for that but we really don't care for you to join as a new guy and then spout off about what you don't like about this and that. It's is your car if and when you buyit...not ours.
I'm sorry you feel this way. You're welcome to view the thread on the other forum (not sure if I'm allowed to link it here) to see my responses as proof, where I not only congratulate others on their choices that disagree with what I think is my "stance", but where I also contradict myself on said stance (in other words, I still vacillate back and forth on what I think is the better looking version).

The replies in that thread have also been nearly universal in their maturity. That's why I didn't post in on corvetteforum.com, where I know it would be taken as troll bait. I lurk there but am not a member for similar reasons.

If I wanted to troll, I'm not sure what openly admitting that I posted a similar thread elsewhere would accomplish. And I did that in the interest of transparency.

Furthermore, I can't be held responsible for the actions of others, and I refuse to not use the Internet forums as a method of discourse simply to avoid the possibility of a hostile reaction, when time and again it has been demonstrated that anyone can take offense at anything, no matter how it was intended (having said that, I've enough experience to know which waters I can tip my toes into without fear of sharks, hence my complete lack of involvement over on CF). I like all the cars, I'm just coming to grips with whatever it is I like most, and why (still don't know).

I genuinely thought it would be fun to discuss this in such a manner. I don't have to like what you like, and vice versa, but I do agree I should be respectful (as should all, if only...). I am just curious as to how people made their own decisions. I'm on record (on the Stingray site) as not "poking the bear" in my replies.

I can only hope that with time, you'll see that I'm not here to cause a fuss, but genuinely just want to share with the community.

Case in point: my new favourite shot of a wide body (Z06, I know, but a GS would look nearly indentical from this viewpoint) is seriously making me reconsider....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Spectre, I have a white z51, like the one in your photo. I added the rockers, z06 grill and spoiler,aftermarket parts. GM did not have the GS when I bought my car, otherwise I may have been in the same dilemma as you. Strictly from a practicality standpoint for me, I like the z51's narrower body because it is easier to drive, park and maneuver ... and less to clean :) Mileage is also somewhat of a issue for me. I do like the z06's wider stance as it looks more aggressive, although I do agree with you regarding the front fender extensions. I've ridden in a z06 and it is very fast. The 460 + horsepower on a stock C7 is plenty to keep me entertained. I don't track my car, although I have done some mods to it. Either way, you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: Ducst4 and Spectre
Hmmmmm. Basically this is a thread asking if you prefer Kate Beckinsale or Jessica Biel. :D

Really tough to choose between two wins. IF I were in your shoes trying to decide (and that would be a great place to be), I would have to answer with a..... I don't know. I'd like to say I would roll with the GS because I do like the wider stance. The biggest gripe, if much of a gripe at all, would be the front fender spats however, AllFlash installed some awesome looking CF pieces that look really good.

But considering the upgrade to the GS would be purely for cosmetics in your case, maybe it would be best to roll with a Stingray as they are more readily available, you may also be able to get it under msrp, and, as stated, it hits the goals you want. However, I personally don't believe the extra maintenance costs, fuel, ease of parking should be a consideration if you like the GS better as every time you see one when you're out, you'll be wishing you purchased that car and it may diminish your joy of your "regular" Stingray.

Reactions: Nik and Spectre
Hmmmmm. Basically this is a thread asking if you prefer Kate Beckinsale or Jessica Biel. :D

Really tough to choose between two wins. IF I were in your shoes trying to decide (and that would be a great place to be), I would have to answer with a..... I don't know. I'd like to say I would roll with the GS because I do like the wider stance. The biggest gripe, if much of a gripe at all, would be the front fender spats however, AllFlash installed some awesome looking CF pieces that look really good.

But considering the upgrade to the GS would be purely for cosmetics in your case, maybe it would be best to roll with a Stingray as they are more readily available, you may also be able to get it under msrp, and, as stated, it hits the goals you want. However, I personally don't believe the extra maintenance costs, fuel, ease of parking should be a consideration if you like the GS better as every time you see one when you're out, you'll be wishing you purchased that car and it may diminish your joy of your "regular" Stingray.

I agree tough choice and I went though lots of angst before deciding to trade in my 2014 Z51 on a new GS. I agree on the tires in the rain issue although the base tires on the GS should be pretty good but the Cup series that come on the performance option are just not safe in the rain. I had originally ordered a new Z51 but after lots of reading changed the order to a GS because I too like the more aggressive look as well as the larger brakes. The Z06 was way more than I desired and just that much more $$ than I felt I could spend on a toy. The GS was only about an extra $3500 over the Z51 that I had on order as the Magnetic ride is included in the GS package. I ordered the M7 transmission so my order sat for a month while the constraint on the GS with M7 transmission was in place. No sooner did that clear last week than there was a constraint issued on the GS with red calipers which I had also selected. US Corvette Forum authoritatively says it is a paint shortage with the brake supplier, hopefully a short delay. Hope to see my GS by October.

Hey Spectre. My 2 cents.... for what it's worth... hmmm... ok... I guess it's worth 2 cents...

Other than constructive input, ignore everything else. At the end of the day, this is a no-brainer... the Stingray looks great.... the Z06 looks great.... other than a C7 owner or someone with a real interest, the average person can't tell the difference.... 460 hp will put a big smile on your face. I just came back from a week of running your BC mainland mountain roads and I'm still pumped.... the excitement of driving the Stingray is overwhelming. I haven't driven the Z06 but I expect the extra 190 hp is amazing, albeit not particularly any more useful for the type of driving I do and the driving it sounds like you want to do.

The GS trim is gorgeous and if you want those cosmetics and will regret not getting them, then by all means go for it. If the C7 fits the bill for you, then save the money (and it will be a chunk of change) and buy the Stingray and dress it up some more if you like. I bought the Stingray. Have no intention of tracking it so wasn't looking for the Z51 but wasn't avoiding it either. Found my car on the showroom floor. The colour I wanted. The ZF1 appearance options. Full load 3LT including the CF roof and the spare Lexan roof. All the bells and whistles. I traded my C6 for 1500 less than I paid for it 20,000 k earlier and talked turkey for 5900 off the MSRP as well. That was last September and a year later, I have no regrets at all. I love this car.

Make your choice.... make the best deal.... pull the trigger.... and get ready for a smile so big it makes every cord in your neck sore.... That is what driving a Corvette is all about.....

And don't worry about your post... If we thought you were trolling, we have the choice to simply ignore you..... :Biggrin:

Eric

Hey Spectre. My 2 cents.... for what it's worth... hmmm... ok... I guess it's worth 2 cents...

Other than constructive input, ignore everything else. At the end of the day, this is a no-brainer... the Stingray looks great.... the Z06 looks great.... other than a C7 owner or someone with a real interest, the average person can't tell the difference.... 460 hp will put a big smile on your face. I just came back from a week of running your BC mainland mountain roads and I'm still pumped.... the excitement of driving the Stingray is overwhelming. I haven't driven the Z06 but I expect the extra 190 hp is amazing, albeit not particularly any more useful for the type of driving I do and the driving it sounds like you want to do.

The GS trim is gorgeous and if you want those cosmetics and will regret not getting them, then by all means go for it. If the C7 fits the bill for you, then save the money (and it will be a chunk of change) and buy the Stingray and dress it up some more if you like. I bought the Stingray. Have no intention of tracking it so wasn't looking for the Z51 but wasn't avoiding it either. Found my car on the showroom floor. The colour I wanted. The ZF1 appearance options. Full load 3LT including the CF roof and the spare Lexan roof. All the bells and whistles. I traded my C6 for 1500 less than I paid for it 20,000 k earlier and talked turkey for 5900 off the MSRP as well. That was last September and a year later, I have no regrets at all. I love this car.

Make your choice.... make the best deal.... pull the trigger.... and get ready for a smile so big it makes every cord in your neck sore.... That is what driving a Corvette is all about.....

And don't worry about your post... If we thought you were trolling, we have the choice to simply ignore you..... :Biggrin:

Eric
Fabulous reply, thank you!!

I'm constantly vacillating between models and not just to the GS, but even now I am also considering the Z06 (it will be fit my budget if I hold out another model year or two than planned), because even though I can't use all that power, I'm already blessed with a "balanced" sports car, so maybe a nutso power mad dictator of a vehicle might be a better foil/less crossover on my automotive Venn diagram.

I agree that the Corvette range is truly excellent across the board. It makes choosing difficult, but what a choice to be faced with!

Thanks but I just call them like I feel them...

... Do you actually have a Corvette Venn diagram working for you Spectre.... Now that impresses me...or astounds me.... I'm not sure which... lol........ But I would be curious to see a snapshot of how you populated it .. You probably know this but explaining the theory of how you made your car choice will not be great party conversation... lmao.... o_O

My automotive Venn diagrams change constantly, but they typically look something like this:

1. Power delivery
2. Handling
3. Long distance comfort

The goal, for me, anyway, is to have a car that, while still a sports car, is as different as possible in experience from my 981.

"1" is easy, because any C7 will have a large displacement, rumbly front engined V8 versus the much less torquey (but more top end happy) siren wail that is the flat six located amidships in my car. My 981's chief weaknesses are a) when I am in 6th gear on a two lane road, stuck behind one of those $@&*ing "Canadream" rental motorhomes, and spy finally get a passing opportunity, I need to downshift to at least 4th (sometimes 3rd) to ensure the the pass is both swift and safe, and b) cruising speeds at around 120-130 kph in 6th gear means the engine is turning around 3100-3400 rpm, while although not loud, can occasionally become mildly tiresome, and c) the 9A1 flat six in my car sounds best at WOT, and the closer to 8 grand, the better the noise. Outside of 1st gear and flat out passing maneuvers, it is not an easy thing to replicate. I know the C7's LT1 or LT4 would both provide a very different experience on all those fronts.

"2" demands my C7 have the Z51 package at a minimum. I did my own test drives of Stingrays with and without it, on the same back roads (both had MSRC), and I could feel the difference in weight transfer fairly easily. I'm not knocking the standard suspension as I know it can pull 1.0 g on a skidpad, but that doesn't mean it feels good (to me) doing it. I think saying I "need" anything above the Z51 from a handling perspective is kidding myself, seeing as how I'm just some average back road enthusiast, but the idea of the GS's better overall grip means I could probably lay on the throttle sooner in bends, which would possibly equal more fun. This is where the 981 shines. It's mid engined, and it has relatively small amounts of torque, meaning I can pretty much mat the throttle exiting any turn in any gear (save 1st) and the car just stays planted while the engine screams. I don't need my C7 to handle as well as my 981, but I know I'd kick myself if I didn't choose one that can at least offer near as much back road jollies as possible. This is also why ai'd rather fork over for the integrated Z51 pack straight off, rather than attempt to suit a non-Z51's suspension to my needs.

"3" All C7s have a longer wheelbase than my car, which straight off helps to improve ride quality and long distance comfort. My test drives show that that a Z51 with MRSC in sport is reasonably comfortable, but I still like the idea of the mag ride's flexibility to make things even more comfy if I happen on an expressway. I haven't driven a Z06, but I've been led to believe that all settings being equal, it will ride a bit more rough than a Z51 car. Whether or not this applies to the GS as well, I don't know (I believe it has different spring rates than the Z06). My 981 has the PASM suspension option, so it rides relatively well, but it's decidedly narrower/less spacious inside than the Corvette, something both my wife and I noticed immediately. And again, highway cruising at 3000-plus rpms detracts from the comfort.

All the above really does is assure me I want something with at least Z51 and MRSC. It didn't help much for distinguishing between a Stingray, a GS, or a Z06. Maybe I need more Venn diagrams. :D

Purchasing a Corvette, ANY sports car should be an emotional decision: i.e. I want one because I want one. And I may choose a given model purely on emotion too, but given I'll be unlikely to test drive a GS or a Z, this process helps me (maybe hurts me) in figuring it out.

Reactions: Rruuff Day and Nik
Although I haven't driven a vette with MSRC, I can tell you that my 2016 z51 manual with GT seats (not competition seats) is very livable on the highway and every day driving. My initial drive home from the dealer was almost 500km. Most of the time in eco mode, occasionally switching to Sport/Touring just to compare. But in the city-Sport mode all the way. I also didn't compromise z51 (had it on my 2006)-however took a very close look at the GS. But for the price of the GS with 2LT and same engine, I'd splurge for the Z06-it's that much more of a car even in 1LZ. My other choice cars were Porsche boxter, base 911, older GTR and very close Jaguar F-type (6 cylinder). I was fooling myself-In the end I'm a vette guy!

I understand people who forgo the MRC. The C7 already has a great chassis. But I would argue that for the money, the technology you are getting is a performance bargain (like the rest of the C7). MRC technology was developed for GM by it's Delphi division (which I believe has since been sold off). It is now also used by the likes of Ferrari and Audi, so by any definition it is a world class component. I can definitely feel the suspension differences between Tour and Sport or Track. Probably for the average person not enough of a difference to matter or maybe justify the potential replacement expense , but for a car guy who cares about these things its one of those things that makes the experience special.

I did a quick read up on the MSRC. Very impressive, most likely a must have if you plan to track the car or street race (not recommended). But personally, for spirited street driving I'm not convinced. My mind may change after test driving one with it on. I'll be sure to share that thought. Cheers.

I guess I'm somewhat old school. I love the new technology, but I also don't love the issues that come along with it, eg. breakdowns, parts etc. I also believe, rightly or wrongly, that a sports car should be light, agile, quick, and responsive. All these new gadgets weigh down the car and in my mind, take away from some of the driver's experience. The pure pleasure of being in charge and having the driver "drive" the car and not having the car drive itself (I couldn't think of a better way of expressing this) is what it's all about. Don't get me wrong, the car needs to provide feedback to the driver, but if my sports car has so much technology and creature comforts, I think it starts turning into a luxury sedan. Now where did this thread go??????:Biggrin:

Z51 or GS, whatever the choice, the car is awesome!!

I did a quick read up on the MSRC. Very impressive, most likely a must have if you plan to track the car or street race (not recommended). But personally, for spirited street driving I'm not convinced. My mind may change after test driving one with it on. I'll be sure to share that thought. Cheers.

I had MSRC on my 2014 Z51 and will be getting it on my new GS. My thinking has been that I want the car to be a great car for extended road trips (put 36,000 km on my 2014) and the MSRC makes the car much nicer on those long secondary road drives or the thruway drives. Just reduces the fatigue.

I've got a 2014 Z51 1LT without MSRC. If I was to buy again I'd get 2LT and get MSRC or possibly the GS.

I don't mind the ride the way it is now, but I've always had sporty cars with stiff suspension. With the MSRC you get more flexibilty ( wife would like it a bit smoother sometimes ), stiffer for track or spirited driving. Also with MSRC in track mode you get a lot more features and control.

The only reason I'd go to the 2LT is for the auto seat position, my wife hates it when I don't move the seat back and she tries to get in to drive. And as they say, Happy Wife, Happy Life!

The only way though for me to justify the GS is if I was to do more track days, which the wife hates me doing and is now insisting I get my own vette if I want to do more tracking. So maybe in a year if there are some discounts available, will look into it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.