Jul 1, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1994 Convertible
Province
NL
Before you ask, I did do a search. :) I didn't see anything (assuming I used keywords that would find it!).

I just picked up a '94 convertible and I'm having an odd issue with the driver side door lock. With the door open I can use any of the locking methods (key, power lock, manual slide) and it will lock/unlock no problem. But, if I close the door and lock it (by any method) or I hit the lock and close the door it will not unlock. I noriced that when using the key it doesn't travel as much on the unlock side with the door closed (or open with the latch closed). Looking at the mechanism it appears there is a tab that is not being engaged when this happens. Tough to see in there, even with the door panel off.

Has anyone had a similar issue? If so, is this repairable or am I looking at a new lock/latch mechanism? I'm getting tired of having to either crawl in from the passenger side or using a screwdriver to hit the tab in the mech through the door sill!

Kirb

......it sounds like nothing is broken, just sticky dry. It takes abit more muscle to unlock when there is some pressure on the mech with the latch engaged on the pin. Take a spray lube that has a tube extension on it that you pop in the nozzle tip and through the side holes in the door panel spray all over on the latch mech and lock rods. Move the lock back and forth so it penetrates all the moving parts. You can even give it a shot through the outside lock by pushing the tube into the hole abit and spray. Then try it again and see if it helps.

Yeah - I tried all that. Still not working. Not sure what's up. I have it in the shop today for an inspection, tires and a couple items I can't do in the driveway easily. I asked them to have a look.

I think I have it figured out, or at least a plausible theory.

I have also noticed that once the door is unlocked, the outside door handle is basically a hair trigger. You barely have to move it to open the door - no play whatsoever. So I had a closer look at the door handle release rod. It looks like it isn't the stock rod. It is much shorter and has clearly been mangled to make it fit. I'm thinking the latch release is partially engaged due to the short throw on the rod, and that is preventing the lock mech from fully disengaging when unlocking the door.

Hopefully I'll have some time to mess with it tomorrow.. Finding a replacement rod may be a trick, but I could try fabbing one if necessary.

My theory was correct! One of the previous owners, for some crazy reason, straightened all the bends in the factory outer door handle release rod. Bizarre. I removed it and re-bent it and now everything is working perfectly. It is a bit motley, but hey - it works. Nice to have the door back together.

The damn power window motor got stuck again so I ended up taking the door panel off again 5 minutes later to give it a whack to free it. That's twice that's happened. Guess that's another project to add to the list!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread