Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
Probably if used in the way this little bit of gossip is implying:

This Latest C8 Corvette Rumor Will Likely Anger Vette Purists

One of the best kept secrets in and around Detroit these days is the likely fact that the C8 Corvette will feature a mid-engine design, just as Corvette "Father" Zora Arkus-Duntov had long championed. Sure, some Corvette purists won’t approve of the switch from front- to mid-engine, but it’s time, and according to CarAdvice, there might be yet another big change about to happen. While touring GM’s battery laboratory in Warren, Michigan, only a few days ago, they spotted something interesting: "a shell of a Corvette within the battery lab."
imageshandler.ashx

Right, so what’s the big deal about that? This just so happens to be the same lab that GM uses to test battery cells and evaluate their performance in prototypes. Previous rumors also suggested the C8 will offer up 5kWh of battery power and a 12-mile or so driving range. Translation: it appears GM is testing what could be an electrically-assisted Corvette. This would make sense considering the number of other high-performance cars today, as well as upcoming ones, that feature similar tech. GM wants to push the Corvette into a higher realm of performance, making a truly global supercar of sorts, so why not utilize proven performance technology?

Now, would a mid-engined, electrically-assisted Corvette still be a Corvette? It’s a fair question, but we believe Arkus-Duntov would respond with a wholehearted "Yes!" We're still about a year away from the C8 Corvette's official debut, so expect the rest of 2017 to be filled with a ton of speculation and rumors.

Hahaha... It looks like they've saved some money by removing the dead pedal and are gonna let you rest your feet on the front axle..
I had a dog once that had a nose like that ...... ...front end sort of reminds me of a cow catcher on a locomotive... lol...

pet pug no nose.jpg
upload_2017-1-16_15-51-27.png

Reactions: XFIRE82
didn't Studebaker build a car that you weren't sure which was the front or the back of it ? that is what I see in that thing up top. I think the value of my car just went up if that is the future of The American Dream .

hahaha.... i didn't say a cow catcher wasn't practical Randy....but I can't believe even with the mid engine that they would shorten the front end that much and dive it that sharply... Maybe I have no taste but just doesn't do it for me... I'll be surprised it that is the form they bring to market...And Michael. I don't think it matters what they build, the move to mid engine will make all our cars classics .... Nice Rat Rod Randy! I want one...:thumbs:

I agree if they make the only vette mid engine ours become instant classics. My opinion is they should name the mid engine something else and leave the vette for the front engine.
And yeah, I would love a rat rod. Hmmm..should I wash it..its been a few months... nawwwwwww It's good :)

Why not just keep the motor where it belongs, the heck with mid engine and electric junk. ......:Biggrin:....... See the man's T-shirt. , after extensive testing at a secret boneyard this was the GM prototype that inspired self driving cars, mainly due to visibilty and acceleration / control issues .

Big Motor.jpg

Last edited:
hahaha.... i didn't say a cow catcher wasn't practical Randy....but I can't believe even with the mid engine that they would shorten the front end that much and dive it that sharply... Maybe I have no taste but just doesn't do it for me... I'll be surprised it that is the form they bring to market...And Michael. I don't think it matters what they build, the move to mid engine will make all our cars classics .... Nice Rat Rod Randy! I want one...:thumbs:

Agree .... that front end, yuk!

a video moment...
Why not just keep the motor where it belongs, the heck with mid engine and electric junk. ......:Biggrin:....... See the man's T-shirt. , after extensive testing at a secret boneyard this was the GM prototype that inspired self driving cars, mainly due to visibilty and acceleration / control issues .

View attachment 7226
Hey.... that's my 7.2 Powerstroke

The hybrid seems like a natural progression in the realm of performance. But instead of 12 miles of drive ability could it be used more like a KERS in F1 cars, but with 5KW you could get more like a 200hp boost instead of the KERS 70.

But yes it won't be the same Corvette.

Been thinking of building an auto slalom car, and for size weigh and cost was looking at a Factory Five 818. I came across this electric build of one by a guy up in Ottawa.

Must say the performance is pretty impressive. This spring he's hoping to get it running in the 9's on the quarter mile

recent statements by Ford and GM predict that within 15 years most cars and light truck will be hybrids

I would guess that's totally accurate Elf. Even in small venues here in Red Deer we are seeing Electric only parking spots complete with free plug-ins... If that happens and I need a new vehicle in 15 years, I will insist on spoke wheels... That way I can relive at least a bit of my childhood bicycle days and clothespin cardboard or playing cards on the spokes to get that hot motor sound..... :D

Okay, I am sticking to my guns on this one. GM is using a 'bait' car to test their underpinnings, and this orange thing is just an expensive test bed (maybe the next Toyota MR2), and absolutely NOT the C8 Corvette. Certainly it is going to be late summer to early fall before we start to see something that actually resembles the new C8.

Okay, I am sticking to my guns on this one. GM is using a 'bait' car to test their underpinnings, and this orange thing is just an expensive test bed (maybe the next Toyota MR2), and absolutely NOT the C8 Corvette. Certainly it is going to be late summer to early fall before we start to see something that actually resembles the new C8.

Oh I don't imagine anyone thinks for a second the mid-engine vette would look like this though the front will be a wee shorter I'd guess.

I would also guess the mid-engine front will be shorter but I also think it shouldn't look shorter.... if that makes sense.... The front end still needs to scream Corvette IMO.... They strayed somewhat with the rear when they built the C7...If they are thinking a total rework that no one will recognize or associate with the Corvette, I don't think it will hit a home run as well as the American sports car it is now... Selling 300 units per year won't be a sustainable option for GM and it would be a shame for the Corvette to die that way.... Caution in design is advised......

I'm quite certain once we see the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and see how badly it destroys other spots cars that we'll forgive Chev for going hybrid with the mid engine Corvette (I'm thinking affordable La Ferrari). I for one am looking forward to it as I am betting the thing will be a beast. However, as stated previously, Chevy should be careful in their design as this is such a big leap, they really don't want to push their loyal followers away.

How "badly it destroys" other sports cars? 0 - 60 time for the stock C7 Z06 is conservatively just under 3.0 seconds. Test track time is documented at 2.95. Some are bragging 2.7's but I've yet to hear of a 2.7 that I believe.
So.... to badly destroy today's C7 Z06 is certainly feasible and, there are a large number of sports cars, including the Ferrari F12 and the McLaren MP4 that the current Z06 already beats.... but the other sports cars? (The Porsche Spyder 918 is quick at 2.6........ The Bugatti Veyron is perhaps the fastest at 2.4... short of the Ariel Atom at 2.3 but that's not really a street car)., What are we talking Riley? .... sub 2.4 second times..... ouch.... OK... Lets save this post and some time in the next couple years when we see the new stock mid-engine Corvette street car running 2.4 second or less 0 - 60 times, I will graciously bow down to your wisdom and foresight and come the next Ponoka May meet and greet weekend, you and I will go out for steak ...my treat...... all that faster than you can say 'one-one thousand, two-one thousand'........ :thumbs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.