alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2022 rapid blue
Province
AB
ours expire end of December,

rural registry place, nice folks,

they said if U R not driving a couple of cars until the end of April then re-plate them for 2019
just before U R ready to drive them, save 20-30 a vehicle per year, this is year 3

pretty soon I can buy the wife a new pair of (driving) shoes

In Quebec they renew by last name as well. Mine comes due Nov 1st and I have till Nov 30th to pay it so I could drive right to the end of Nov and then register it as stored - no charge for that. As long as I register for driving within a year I am OK. Other wise it is a garage inspection.
I always put mine away by the end of October as the weather is usually lousy and unpredictable by then. This year Oct was cool and rainy. Last year I was wondering why I was storing it. By November some time we are seeing snow even if it does not stay around so it is put in to hibernation by then. We had a good dumping in mid November 2018 so it was a good thing it was put away. Saves me 6 months of vehicle registration as well as 6 months of liability insurance. Just hold the fire and theft on it for the winter. Figure I will not hit anyone while hibernating.

Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
Ontario drive clean is no longer required for cars as of April 1, 2019 but as of January 1, even though the test must be done, there is no charge. Bureaucrats making decisions!

^^^ correct for Ontario. My plates expire in late March (1 week before "Drive Clean" is over and done with). My SUV was coming due for it's first Drive Clean run this year, my renewal notice just came in the mail, stating I had to have the tailpipe test done. I called and asked if it could be avoided by not renewing until after April 1st - NOPE! Gotta get it done before they'll issue the renewal sticker......even if I chose for some reason not to renew it until the end of 2019 (whereupon it is highly likely there won't be a single test station available to do the darn thing), no tickee/no washee.

I look at it this way - I will likely be one of the last Ontario vehicles to ever get the test performed. At least that useless procedure has been relegated to the dustbin of history.

LLC

Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
In Quebec they renew by last name as well. Mine comes due Nov 1st and I have till Nov 30th to pay it so I could drive right to the end of Nov and then register it as stored - no charge for that. As long as I register for driving within a year I am OK. Other wise it is a garage inspection.
I always put mine away by the end of October as the weather is usually lousy and unpredictable by then. This year Oct was cool and rainy. Last year I was wondering why I was storing it. By November some time we are seeing snow even if it does not stay around so it is put in to hibernation by then. We had a good dumping in mid November 2018 so it was a good thing it was put away. Saves me 6 months of vehicle registration as well as 6 months of liability insurance. Just hold the fire and theft on it for the winter. Figure I will not hit anyone while hibernating.

yes, mine renew in June, but I cancelled as per Oct.31 and will renew April 1, but only till June (3 mo). And only then pay my full $654 that Quebec charges for a 7litre engine ...notwithstanding that it gets better fuel economy than say a much smaller engine in a heavier vehicle. Grrrr

Are the rates as high as in Quebec? Worth cancelling?
Normally, we also suspend 'liability' insurance here in Quebec, keeping just the fire/theft/vandalism, as the cars are not on the road.
Technically, as far as our license bureau is concerned, the plates aren't cancelled...the cars remain registered but 'in storage' and not licensed for road use.
If they remain in storage for over 12 months, they must undergo an inspection before they can be re-licensed for road use.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann and ccltj
yes, mine renew in June, but I cancelled as per Oct.31 and will renew April 1, but only till June (3 mo). And only then pay my full $654 that Quebec charges for a 7litre engine ...notwithstanding that it gets better fuel economy than say a much smaller engine in a heavier vehicle. Grrrr
I managed 8L per 100K on the trip to and back from MITM last July - 5000K total. And I was not looking to lighten up on the pedal, just looking out for the police.
I would never get that low consumption with my Equinox V6.

I believe insurance companies have a say about that in Ontario also.

Tinman, my birthday is in October (I get 100 VetteCoins just for mentioning it I believe. LoL) so typically I did not buy my sticker for the Corvette since it was already stored away. Without fail part way through the winter I would get a letter from the insurance company telling me since the car was unlicensed my coverage (which was already limited to just comp.) was cancelled.

That went on for a few years but has not happened in the last couple. Government and insurance companies sleeping with each other. Who knew.

Reactions: ddgermann and ccltj
For License Plates/Registration? :Wideyed: That seems more like the Insurance cost ...
I am hopefully muddled up from the thread title ...

For License Plates/Registration? :Wideyed: That seems more like the Insurance cost ...
I am hopefully muddled up from the thread title ...
Sorry...$645 total...$379 of which is the ‘fine’ for displacement. Here’s a good example compared to another one of my cars
B1E02C3F-86CA-4F48-A436-020836F10E74.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread