Thanks...I did some Internet research and that's correct..all I could find was issues with LS7 motors. I just thought I was missing something.

High mileage LS3 (or any engine) can develop lifter and valve problems, sooner if you have an agressive cam mod. Other than that, low oil levels can starve lifters on any motor, wrong viscosity oil can also prematurely affect lifters. The LS3 is a great engine and shouldn't give you problems for many years, miles, and smiles. Don't worry about it.

The mechanic might of been thinking of the truck engines like the 5.3's which do have issues with the lifter / cam failures. I was thinking of trading off my Rosie on a used Silverado but after doing some research on these engines with their cyl cut off feature and lifters ticking and failing on those shut off cylinders and camshafts failing I decided I don't want such a thing in my yard . Neighbor just bought a used one, in 2 months it started ticking and it is not a cheap fix like the older motors. Some 6.0 and 6.2 are failing also, but over all the LS3 is said to maybe be the best engine GM has ever built and it has a very good track record so far.

In 111,000 km the only problem that we had was the steering wheel angle sensor that had to be replaced. Going from 10-12 mpg with the Chevelles to 34-35 mpg on the highway with the 2005 Corvette, the cost was more than covered in gas savings. Our car still runs like new. Use quality lubricants and change oil and filter regularly and you should have no problems. Screaming through the gears all the time will shorten any engine's life.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.