Music

Ontario
Nov 20, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2003 C5 Convertible
Province
ON
Which of you Corvette owners feel that the 50-100km retorque requirement put in place by service shops these days is absolutely necessary if the car has been test driven a short distance and retorqued immediately after servicing?

I want to understand the rationale behind this liability disclaimer given that this has never been feasible for race car drivers leaving the pits.

All comments are welcome.

I see nothing wrong with retorquing. And I think it might catch the odd time that a wheel isn’t set in just right. It certainly makes me feel better.
As far as NASCAR… there are a few cars almost every race have loose wheel nuts and have to come in and get them retorqued or replaced if they have elongated the stud holes.
but that is all going away now as the NEW NASCAR car will have a single nut holding the wheel on just like INDY/LMS cars.

Take care
graham

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Again, this is more of a prevalent issue in the 2nd largest country in the world being Canada, particularly in rural areas where round trip distances between the shop and home can typically exceed 50-100km.

I had the problem frequently prior to visiting the library over 30 years ago, where I read up on the proper way to tighten a wheel. Since then, I have never had a wheel lug I tightened myself become in ~ a half million km of driving and never retorqued.

If you put new wheels on yes retorquing is necessary after about a 20-30kms drive. If reusing previous wheels if you trust the shop with torquing your wheel nuts up properly I wouldn't worry about it even when they say to come back and they will retorque no charge.

My advice, buy a torque wrench with the proper lug socket and retorque yourself after a short drive.

That`s a proactive approach and I still use the torque wrench I bough after that visit to the library, although nowadays I use a breaker bar and my own instinct of torque. I find that the tightening pattern is the key to a true fit that stays snug over time as opposed to the actual use of the torque wrench that has some flex.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread