You're 5
Nov 4, 2018
Boston
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Z06
Province
USA
I own a 04 Z06,with a 3:90 gear ratio.My question is,on acceleration I get a pretty annoying noise from the rear.But as soon as I let off the gas it goes quiet.While I had in for a new clutch at my local GM dealership the tech took it for a test drive & said it’s because of the gears.I’ve heard it’s common for this noise as Z06’s don’t have rubber grommets mounting the shifter to the torque tube.Does anyone with a Z06 have this same noise?

Don, mine sounds very "mechanical" you know there is something going on back there. It is hard to tell because the tires make a fair bit of noise as well. Can't say it is an annoying sound but everyones tolerances are different. I suspect your mechanic is right.

Have you changed the rear end lube? Might be worth the effort of trying that if it has not been changed.
If you do change it make sure you get some new crush washers from GM, stupid expensive but they won't leak. I used Mobil 1 gear lube with the additive already in but I have heard others have had good luck with different brands.

I can give you a few hints on making the job a little easier if you decide to do it.

I did change the rear lube as well as the tranny while it was in for the clutch job.The car had a new differential blueprinted with all upgraded internals at 5000 miles when I purchased it,and it now has only 24,000,so maybe it’s still breaking in?

Yea, I think whine from the differential is normal. Different fluid may change the amount but and in some cases get rid of it. I have the same issue but not worried about it. I have 3.42 gears that came stock with mine...what is it like with 3.90? I presume you lose some top end speed?

Mechanical is actually a better word for it.My Wife is the one who finds it annoying,I like the gear sound,Lol

Reactions: Hotrodron
Thanks for the reply.Actually haven’t noticed any loss in top end speed, it launch’s with little wheel spin & really gets great traction.

Reactions: hemicat
Had the same problem only under accélération, nothing when turning nor let off, changed both torque tube internal bushing/rubber.
Car so smooth when i drop the clutch Now........just let you know my expérience.

Reactions: Hotrodron
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.