Jul 12, 2018
Richmond, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 Z51 6 spd
Province
BC
I changed the differential gear oil and transmission fluid. This won't be a tutorial as there are dozens elsewhere, but please reply or PM if you have any DIY questions.

The jury seems to be out on how often to change, as there's no recommended change interval in the maintenance schedule and the interweb will suggest anything from anually to anniversaries, confirmations, and bar mitzvahs. Not knowing the age of the fluids, aving no service record of a change, and seeing as I've changed the other fluids I figured what the heck? The rear differential has been making a chatter/light clunk noise (but with no jering or vibration) on sharp turns, there is a TSB on switching to a gear oil with better friction modifier, and the transmission fluid was more beige/brown than red. Finally, I wanted synthetic for reasons as I have Redline in the rain car so I should have at least as good in the fun car!

The good stuff! I have Redline in the rain car because the cool kids on the G35 forum like it, and turns out some cool Corvette kids like Redline too. I was also able to get the gear oil locally at Lordco and the trans fluid on Amazon.
1657866185516.png

Car goes up!
1657866453550.png

1657866530457.png

Underneath the 'Vette, and the animals I've trapped, have become all of my friends, and I'm living off of grass, and the drippings from my transmission, it's okay to eat fish, 'cause they don't have any feelings... Something in the way, mmm-mmm.
1657866747436.png

I wonder if when designing the 2005s they knew the drain plug would be right under the leaf spring or they realised it later and then though they'd change it next year? Silly. I was able to get an alan key in there with a 10mm box wrench around it for leverage. Note: I had to loosen and tighten it with the suspension loaded as when unloaded it changed the angle on the leaf spring such that the alan wrench wouldn't fit!
1657866846002.png

I'm pleased to report everything went well. After driving a series of figure 8s the differential noise is gone. I also think the transmission shifts a little smoother.

Glad to hear you made friends with the creatures and you finished the fluid changes. Yes, leaf spring is still in the way on the C7. I use a form a funnel to route the fluid away now. I love the old ceramic coated drain bowl BTW. 👍

Glad to hear you made friends with the creatures and you finished the fluid changes. Yes, leaf spring is still in the way on the C7. I use a form a funnel to route the fluid away now. I love the old ceramic coated drain bowl BTW. 👍
We'll see who gets the lyrics. :) I haven't been under the rear diff on a C7, is the drain plug easily accessible at least? On the 2005 you can't get a socket in there, then they moved it in 2006. :facepalm: I just let it drain, but a funnel is a good idea. It came down in a nice stream over the leaf spring about 1-5-2" wide then I just cleaned everything off. That old ceramic bowl was my grandpa's oil drain pan and it's a good size for draining oil filters. I had 2 plastic drain pans but one of them broke, I wanted 2 to let the trans and the diff drip for a while, so brought out the old bowl.

Reactions: nascar03
We'll see who gets the lyrics. :) I haven't been under the rear diff on a C7, is the drain plug easily accessible at least? On the 2005 you can't get a socket in there, then they moved it in 2006. :facepalm: I just let it drain, but a funnel is a good idea. It came down in a nice stream over the leaf spring about 1-5-2" wide then I just cleaned everything off. That old ceramic bowl was my grandpa's oil drain pan and it's a good size for draining oil filters. I had 2 plastic drain pans but one of them broke, I wanted 2 to let the trans and the diff drip for a while, so brought out the old bowl.
I was a tool and die maker in Oshawa for 41 years and just shake my head at some of the things that so called engineers have done. I know that the LS series of engines get used in a lot of applications, but that is no excuse when these vehicles are all designed and engineered by GM people. I have a lawn tractor that had the oil drain all over everything before getting down to the drain pan. It only needed a short nipple, a 90 degree elbow and a pipe plug and the problem was solved. Draining the engine oil and changing the engine oil filter are simple enough for our 2005. I'll have to back our car up on ramps and see what I can come up with. Our local garage guy won't even touch any Corvette. More trouble than it is worth to work on them, so he said.

I was a tool and die maker in Oshawa for 41 years and just shake my head at some of the things that so called engineers have done. I know that the LS series of engines get used in a lot of applications, but that is no excuse when these vehicles are all designed and engineered by GM people. I have a lawn tractor that had the oil drain all over everything before getting down to the drain pan. It only needed a short nipple, a 90 degree elbow and a pipe plug and the problem was solved. Draining the engine oil and changing the engine oil filter are simple enough for our 2005. I'll have to back our car up on ramps and see what I can come up with. Our local garage guy won't even touch any Corvette. More trouble than it is worth to work on them, so he said.
Sometimes they hit the perverbial ball out of the park, and other times they make an Aztek. :) When Bob Lutz came back to GM, he said there were Azteks behind every corner. The drain plug, while poorly positioned, wasn't that hard, and once I sorted that as well as got the car jacked up level on my unlevel carport, the rest of the job was no harder than changing trans and diff fluid on any rear drive car. Even the gear oil spilling over the leaf spring was a narrow enough stream that it was easy to catch. This article on Souther Car Parts.com was really helpful and is where I got the trick to use an alan key: Corvette C6 DIY, Differential Oil Change Some people have also taken an alan key and cut it, then used a wrench.

Only thing I can add is that I put the oil in a bucket of very hot water. Made the pumping a whole lot easier. It is a bit awkward on the C5 diff, never tried the trans, Race Ready Garage did it for me.
In my case the gear oil was at ambient temp and it flowed really well, about similar consistancy to ambient temp engine oil. The D4 AFT was also very easy flowing.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread