Dec 31, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
73 vette
Province
ON
hi guys, i knocked the old bushings out of the rear end cross member, in the attached pics you can see there is a tack welded ring
that is protruding from where the old bushing was, IS that ring part of the cross member or is it part of the old bushing? it is tack welded on top
and the welds can be easily ground off and the rings knocked out, since the rings are in really really bad condition i doubt any new bushing is going to
install very easy, can someone please advise,
Scotty
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG

Hi Scotty,
Here is a pic of a crossmember I happened to spot on Ebay where you can see the ring is part of the crossmember. I doubt that you would be able to buy a replacement ring to weld in yourself but I don't know for sure. I suppose you can fabricate one if you can find a pipe / tube with the proper OD and ID. Perhaps someone who has more experience with fabrication can help with that. However, you will need to find out what the spec was for interference (press) fit between the bearing and ID of the ring if you go the fabrication route.
Unless you absolutely want to retain originality or you have fabrication skills (ala Boudreau in NB!), the easiest option is buying a replacement crossmember. There are plenty of aftermarket replacements and restored original c2 and c3 crossmembers to be found.

Good Luck, Luke
C2 cross member.jpg

Reactions: gdh
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.