Aug 25, 2019
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
2015 2LT Z51
Province
AB
Hi all. I was just wondering how many of you got glass insurance on your car, since it seems to be no longer offered under your regular auto insurance. A friend of mine highly recommended getting it, as the glass can be very expensive to replace if damaged. If you have it, have you ever needed to make a claim? If so, how did that go?
My insurance agent said it would be around $180/year for it, but she would need to see the car to ensure it is not already damaged, since my car is 4 years old.
Dale

• Wow
Reactions: ccltj
Well in Sask anyway you have to add it with an autopack. I have glass coverage on all my vehicles with a $50 deductible. I think it adds around $30/yr (per car) to my autopack which gives more coverage for collision, theft, fire, etc.

I have replaced 3 windshields with it in 9-10 yrs and my wifes car is now cracked and could be claimed. Had zero issues with claiming (in Sask anyway) I think it is worth it.

I don't know how it all works in AB and $180/yr sounds quite high just for glass.

Don't know if this helped you at all....

T

Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
I declined in AB as the premium was high. Can’t remember the amount but high. Plus the deductible was $500 for the HID corvette. And on top of that... there was a restriction on claims that upped your overall policy if you claimed more than once in 5 years or something.
I busted out laughing and told the woman she was damn lucky I was in a hurry to drive my new Corvette it we would be pulling all 3 vehicles, the house, jewelry... everything out of there.
She wasn’t impressed... so ya no glass insurance.

I will say though Dale.. if you can get it for a reasonable cost it’s likely a good idea as you will see that your corvette is low and lots of debris will be hitting you.
So watch where you are in traffic...
My car has 11,000 almost all highway KMs and it already has a few little pits on the windshield

• Wow
Reactions: ccltj
I have glass coverage and will be looking at a new one next year. My windshield is original and it’s getting pitted to the point where I “want” a new one. Not quite at the “need” stage yet. I have 2 actual chips and multiple pits that really show in the sun.

Still enjoying the car so no need for me to go anal on it.

Mikey.......next wash, you may want to wash the windshield with a fine steel wool (or your favorite kitchen pot scrubber) and powdered ajax. Keep it soaking wet while scrubbing.
You'll be amazed.
I’ll have to search YT for something like that. Powdered Ajax eh ? Hmm,I have some Comet under the bathroom sink.

Yes. Comet should work.
I haven't done my car yet. (Still haven't used the wipers in 10,000kms) But I did my truck a couple weeks ago. Only 1 yr old, but pitting and starbursts that were there at nightime are gone, as usual.
I have no clue if you tube supports this, but I've done it twice a yr on my dailys for 5 decades.
Try it. Only thing you can lose, is time. Don't hit the paint, for obvi reasons.

I declined windshield coverage under my regular car insurance but buy separate windshield coverage through a company that does windshield coverage only: Protect your autoglass | AMI Autoglass Insurance I think my cost is $185 per year because the lump all "Chevrolets" into one category (and yes they know mine is a Corvette) with $50 deductible which is much lower than adding it to my regular insurance. I have no experience with claims yet but I do have peace of mind.

Yes. Comet should work.
I haven't done my car yet. (Still haven't used the wipers in 10,000kms) But I did my truck a couple weeks ago. Only 1 yr old, but pitting and starbursts that were there at nightime are gone, as usual.
I have no clue if you tube supports this, but I've done it twice a yr on my dailys for 5 decades.
Try it. Only thing you can lose, is time. Don't hit the paint, for obvi reasons.
I’ll think I’ll pass for now. She’s parked again October 1st so it’ll be new glass in the spring.

• Sad
Reactions: LE BARON
I declined windshield coverage under my regular car insurance but buy separate windshield coverage through a company that does windshield coverage only: Protect your autoglass | AMI Autoglass Insurance I think my cost is $185 per year because the lump all "Chevrolets" into one category (and yes they know mine is a Corvette) with $50 deductible which is much lower than adding it to my regular insurance. I have no experience with claims yet but I do have peace of mind.

That’s exactly what I did this afternoon. The agent said it is more expensive to add it to my normal policy, and higher deductible. She recommended AMI for add on glass coverage. So, that’s what I did.
Dale.

Reactions: ddgermann
Company I worked for was out of Edmonton and they declined glass insurance because it was too expensive. Maybe this has more to do with winter driving when abrasives are put on the roadways.
When I was out there they told me to look at the windshields on the pickups, AB is Canada's pickup capital, and try to find one that was not cracked.
Had a windshield changed out my way and got dinged two weeks latter. Luckily it was not on my field of vision which is a mandatory change out if a cop spots it.

• Agree
Part of comprehensive coverage here In B.C. via our state run insurance ICBC, I believe. I have had several replaced on my 2011 Outlander Sport - $200 deductible. Now I notice that the deductible is $300.00 and the cost for comprehensive is $143.00. My windshield now has some nice chips; but, the body is still pristine.

Can you imagine waiving all that and paying $250 out of your pocket when you need a new windshield? Probably not allowed in BC. Most people in Alberta forego windshield coverage. My son puts new windshields in his 2013 F150 for $210 while saving several hundred $ per year on insurance coverage. My wife claimed one for her Infiniti. Insurance was charged $550. Cash price would have been $310 including tax. Insurance companies are in business to make money.

In B.C. comprehensive covers many things; including, but not limited to your windshield: someone vandalizes your car- wrecks the interior, takes a knife to your tires or paint job, or, your dog chews your seats etc. etc. Cheap additional cost. Besides, I suspect a new windshield for my C7 would be very pricey??? State run insurance company: poorly run, loses hundreds of millions every year, executives pay themselves huge bonuses for losing money and the tax payer covers the extra costs etc. etc, - typical badly run government agency - what can I say??

In B.C. comprehensive covers many things; including, but not limited to your windshield: someone vandalizes your car- wrecks the interior, takes a knife to your tires or paint job, or, your dog chews your seats etc. etc. Cheap additional cost. Besides, I suspect a new windshield for my C7 would be very pricey??? State run insurance company: poorly run, loses hundreds of millions every year, executives pay themselves huge bonuses for losing money and the tax payer covers the extra costs etc. etc, - typical badly run government agency - what can I say??
Sounds like government mismanagement is not just limited to my part of the country

• Haha
My daily drives aside, in regard to the much more costly C7 heads up windshield, my insurance reduced not even $50 when removing the windshield. My full coverage policy is charged at $600-$700 per year for each of the Corvettes.
A heads up Acadia windshield is (my cost) $500-$600. My GMC truck is now heads up too. Yes regular truck windshields are $200 (Chinese glass) on up to $300 (American glass) and therefore I did not insure my previous truck.
As this thread may be about the corvette glass ... as long as mine stays as vehicle #3 and #4, I get headsup coverage for just under $50 (on glass charged at well over $1k to replace).

... and I do get pretty good pricing from a good friend who owns/operates Easy Auto Glass here in Calgary ...

Last edited:
Reactions: LE BARON
My daily drives aside, in regard to the much more costly C7 heads up windshield, my insurance reduced not even $50 when removing the windshield. My full coverage policy is charged at $600-$700 per year for each of the Corvettes.
A heads up Acadia windshield is (my cost) $500-$600. My GMC truck is now heads up too. Yes regular truck windshields are $200 (Chinese glass) on up to $300 (American glass) and therefore I did not insure my previous truck.
As this thread may be about the corvette glass ... as long as mine stays as vehicle #3 and #4, I get headsup coverage for just under $50 (on glass charged at well over $1k to replace).

... and I do get pretty good pricing from a good friend who owns/operates Easy Auto Glass here in Calgary ...
Yeah, a guy told me that he had had his HUD glass replaced at over $1.5G

Yeah, a guy told me that he had had his HUD glass replaced at over $1.5G
My insured HUD replacement in July-Aug 2017 had a unit cost of $970 plus removal and installation labour and sealant. It was part of an overall claim that involved more work. I can see $1500 being a norm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.