Dik

Regular
May 7, 2014
St. Albert
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Z51 Convertible
Hi Everyone.

This post is to follow up from a previous post (now closed) where there were a number of questions regarding the extra fee dealerships charge for wheel and tire protection. I have recently insured my car for another driving season so I asked my agent if my C7 wheels and tires were covered by my vehicle insurance. This is so I understand if I would have double coverage for my wheels and tires .... or not.

I have pasted in the portion of my insurance policy forwarded to me from my agent:

EXCLUSIONS
The Insurer shall not be liable,
(1) under any subsection of Section C** for loss or damage
(a) to tires or consisting of or caused by mechanical fracture or
breakdown of any part of the automobile or by rusting, corrosion, wear
and tear, freezing, or explosion within the combustion chamber, unless
the loss or damage is coincident with other loss or damage covered by
such subsection or is caused by fire, theft or malicious mischief
covered by such subsection.

If I interpret this exclusion correctly, damage (not wear and tear, etc.) to my wheels and tires are covered by my vehicle insurance.

I just wanted to get more information on the table so we can make better decisions for ourselves when we purchase any vehicle, not just Corvettes.

* Please do not use this post to disrespect any salespeople or dealership, past or present. That is not the intention for my post.

:) :Cheers2:

Hi Everyone.

This post is to follow up from a previous post (now closed) where there were a number of questions regarding the extra fee dealerships charge for wheel and tire protection. I have recently insured my car for another driving season so I asked my agent if my C7 wheels and tires were covered by my vehicle insurance. This is so I understand if I would have double coverage for my wheels and tires .... or not.

I have pasted in the portion of my insurance policy forwarded to me from my agent:

EXCLUSIONS

If I interpret this exclusion correctly, damage (not wear and tear, etc.) to my wheels and tires are covered by my vehicle insurance.

I just wanted to get more information on the table so we can make better decisions for ourselves when we purchase any vehicle, not just Corvettes.

* Please do not use this post to disrespect any salespeople or dealership, past or present. That is not the intention for my post.

Few things to also consider with insurance.

1. Not every policy will cover you, in fact some specifically exclude tires/rims.
2. You may have a deductible to pay
3. It may be treated as an insurance claim which may negatively impact your record and future premiums. If that's the case you will likely not want to make one unless damage is pretty catastrophic.

I know a few insurance cos offer tire/rim protection as an addon product just like glass/windshield protection not just dealers. It's an item with high volume of claims/damage.

Pros and Cons with insurance.

Yes, I have a high deductible and I would expect it to be applied to this kind of damage. My deductible is taken into consideration with the few claims I have made.

Cheers!

Hi Everyone.

EXCLUSIONS

Sorry but I interpret the exclusion clause differently. First of all and for context, you've quoted from Section C of the SPF 1 standard automobile policy, which is common for all Albertans. So the wording may be different for other Provinces although I suspect it's likely similar if not the same (you'd have to check if in another Proviince). Next, Section C deals with collision coverage which is optional so someone with "an old beater" that's not worth much, may not think it worthwhile to insure it for collision and if in an accident, they and not their insurer, would have to look after the cost of repair or replacement. But more to answer your question, the wording says "the insurer shall not be liable...for loss or damage...to tires". After that it goes on to say "or..." which is separate. So regardless of whether you experience "normal wear and tear" or damage from a sudden impact with a bad pothole, your regular vehicle policy under Section C will NOT cover any such damage. That's why dealers sell extra tire/rim protection: it's something not covered by your usual vehicle policy. This differs (for example) from the Comprehensive coverage you pay for under your policy (fire, theft, vandalism): if someone steals your tires/rims or they're vandalized or burn up in a fire, THAT will be covered subject to any deductible.

Having said that and using another example, if you have Section C coverage and you're in a terrific front-end collision which damages not only your entire front end, but both front tires/rims, then if the car is repairable you'd get reimbursed for not only the cost to repair the entire front end, but also to "repair" (more likely replace) the rims/tires. That's because the exclusion clause you've quoted above has a qualification (aka: an exclusion to the exclusion) which states that tires aren't covered "unless the ...damage is coincident with other...damage covered". So in other words, because the front end damage is covered and the tires/rims were damaged at the same time or "coincident" with that front end damage, your tires/rims will be looked after. And again, that's subject to any deductible unless the insurer waives it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
Have to agree with netsinah here. I interpret the last portion of the clause you quoted as a negative on coverage..
"unless
covered by such subsection."

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Fair enough and I considered that statement as well.

If a pot hole or curb impact damaged my tire and rim there could be damage to suspension parts as well, minimum the alignment would need to be checked. I would expect the tire and rim to be covered under my insurance along with the alignment and any suspension components as required and I "read" that coverage into the clause. Or am I reading too much into the policy?

Or do you get the tire and the rim replaced by the dealership then the alignment all other components by the vehicle insurance policy? .... It is a grey area IMHO and worthy of negotiation, maybe with both "insurers"?

Funny, after more consideration and input by the community my position has drastically changed regarding this additional dealership fee. Over the years I have had the fee waved in maybe about 75% of family vehicle purchases. .... And I (we) never once needed a new tire and rim from a dealership.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Fair enough and I considered that statement as well.

If a pot hole or curb impact damaged my tire and rim there could be damage to suspension parts as well, minimum the alignment would need to be checked. I would expect the tire and rim to be covered under my insurance along with the alignment and any suspension components as required and I "read" that coverage into the clause. Or am I reading too much into the policy?

Or do you get the tire and the rim replaced by the dealership then the alignment all other components by the vehicle insurance policy? .... It is a grey area IMHO and worthy of negotiation, maybe with both "insurers"?

Funny, after more consideration and input by the community my position has drastically changed regarding this additional dealership fee. Over the years I have had the fee waved in maybe about 75% of family vehicle purchases. .... And I (we) never once needed a new tire and rim from a dealership.

Sorry to say but I suspect any vehicle insurer will say that suspension "damage" would be considered "normal wear and tear" for any vehicle. These possibilities could go on: ie. an unexpected rock was spewed out by the vehicle in front and cracked my windshield...not your "normal impact" but strong enough to create a crack...so it's not "normal wear and tear" but rather an "accidental impact" or collision which caused damage, so a new windshield is in order. If that was correct, no one would have to purchase additional glass insurance.

But best you make whatever claim with your insurer and see their response.

Netsinah, yip. I agree with you totally. And hopefully I or anyone won't have to find out how any of this may play out.

Cheers Pal and see you on the road some time?
:Cheers2:

Netsinah, yip. I agree with you totally. And hopefully I or anyone won't have to find out how any of this may play out.

Cheers Pal and see you on the road some time?
:Cheers2:

My C8 is "on the road" now (as of Saturday) and I plan to keep it there until parking it for the winter. I'd still like to organize a meeting of some sort through CCF for any Corvette owners in the Edmonton area or anywhere else anyone would care to drive from, either members of CCF or with connections to CCF members; it matters not: the "price of admission" is Corvette ownership and driving one to the meet. We of course need the COVID restrictions in our rearview mirrors for that to happen.

Reactions: Dik
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread