I'm New Here
May 27, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
1991 C4
Province
AB
Hey forum,

I have a new to me 02 and once in a while when I try to start it has a what I call a dead key. It is like a dead battery but it isn't. I will turn the key several times or even dozens of times and it will finally start. I installed the LMC5 thinking it was that because it would sometimes say pull key and wait 10 seconds. I have done some research on this and I see one guy changed his starter and that fixed his problem, another guy took out the ignition and cleaned it and it was solved. Not sure what my next step would be so if anyone has any suggestions I would be all ears. The PO said it was because the ignition recall hasn't been done yet.

might be the key itself. Have you tried your spare? The little resistor thing in the blade of the key will wear. There's a video on YouTube done by Froggy that addresses the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
I have a friend that is an automotive locksmith, he says the VATS system is working fine. We wonder if it could be the starter?

This is a first for me hearing about a 'dead' key. So, the spare key does the same thing? When you go to start it, do the lights turn off as if the car is sending power to the starter, or does it act like nothing is even happening?

Both keys do the same thing. Once the car starts everything is normal. It is hit and miss when it does it. It will do it cold or hot. Its just a waiting game and turning the key over and over until it finally catches.

Had it up on a lift last night but the headers are in the way and I don't have a gasket set. I will tackle taking off the passenger side which seems it could be easier than the drivers side to remove the starter and replace it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.