Mar 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Little red 2020 C8
Province
ON
I am really getting tired of the lousy update system. This is the 4th time I tried to apply the update and the 4th time it's failed. It's not urgent, it's for an erroneous CEL, but I don't get why they didn't hire competent programmers to do write the system. It won't let you try again! It doesn't tell you what the update is for once it fails so you can't report it to your dealer. When I went to the dealer, guess what he tried to do. Yup, he checked for updates and it returned it's usual "No Updates available"!
Man it's frustrating!
My dealer told me that they have a guy who comes in once a week from GM to install anything that has to do with the radio! lol. What freakin year is this???

I am really getting tired of the lousy update system. This is the 4th time I tried to apply the update and the 4th time it's failed. It's not urgent, it's for an erroneous CEL, but I don't get why they didn't hire competent programmers to do write the system. It won't let you try again! It doesn't tell you what the update is for once it fails so you can't report it to your dealer. When I went to the dealer, guess what he tried to do. Yup, he checked for updates and it returned it's usual "No Updates available"!
Man it's frustrating!
My dealer told me that they have a guy who comes in once a week from GM to install anything that has to do with the radio! lol. What freakin year is this???
Do you have a friend with fiber optic cable for their internet connection with a good router? If you do, you might want to park your car at their place for a while to see what gives.

Do you have a friend with fiber optic cable for their internet connection with a good router? If you do, you might want to park your car at their place for a while to see what gives.
It's only done via cellular or perhaps USB by GM. It's not done by wifi

The cell service GM uses may not have strong signal in your area. Any way of finding out what service they use, and trying it while in a strong signal area?
The silly thing is, it worked for the frunk update by my barn and I've tried this update now in three different locations. Twice in different parking lots in Uxbridge and twice at home. Once in the garage and once in the driveway. When I tried it in my driveway, I parked the car where I got a strong cell signal and it still failed. I bet they either use Rogers or Bell. I'm with Fido (Rogers towers), but I'd bet both are strong in Uxbridge.

The silly thing is, it worked for the frunk update by my barn and I've tried this update now in three different locations. Twice in different parking lots in Uxbridge and twice at home. Once in the garage and once in the driveway. When I tried it in my driveway, I parked the car where I got a strong cell signal and it still failed. I bet they either use Rogers or Bell. I'm with Fido (Rogers towers), but I'd bet both are strong in Uxbridge.
Thats' got to be frustrating. I presume they only try to update with the ignition on?

Thats' got to be frustrating. I presume they only try to update with the ignition on?
It gets update notices even when off. One of the reasons for having a battery minder. The car has sat for a little more than a week and when I started it today the notice came right away, but I waited until I got to Canadian tire before trying to do the update. I didn't watch it this time, but last time it downloaded OK, but either the checksum failed or the actual install failed. If it was the install, then I'd assume it will always fail.

1614291426661.png

It's baaaaaaaaack. lol
I'm going to defer it this time and take some pics. Since this OP I have learned that the message only appears once the update has been downloaded! So that means it's already in the car. If it won't install I wonder if it got corrupted along the way. You'd think it would have a series of checksums as it downloads though. Anyway, I'm sure it will fail again, but I want to see what options it has if deferred "remind me later". Supposedly it will stay as an option in the Menu "System". I'll post pics in this thread later.

1617384059309.png

Hi everyone, today I went to the dealer to do the DTC update since it failed with the OTA process.

I was telling the story to the tech guy who was doing the update and he told me that the key Fob needs to be far away from the car during the update because otherwise it could fail. This is because the key Fob communicates with the car and it will interfere with the update process.

In my case I was in my c8 during the update with my key Fob in the car. So it could explain why it failed.

I have never heard this explanation and therefore I share it with you all. 🙂

Next time I have an update I will walk away from my c8.

Also another cause of failed update, that he explained me... after the update as completed, in the last step the car will communicate with all the modules in the car and if one of them does not respond for any reason, the update won't be applied and will fail.

Anyone of you guys heard one of those 2 reasons of failed updates on our c8?

👆🏻Wow … let’s see if this is correct 🤔
… according to that “tech guy” …

No key fob nearby = update success
and
key fob nearby = vroom vroom 🙂👍🏻

Let’s hooe 🙏🏻 that an update never reverses that key fob process …
wow 🤪

😂

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.