Oct 6, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2020 2LT Z51
Province
ON
Hi,

I don't know if you have been following the transmission issue discussion but it looks like Brandon Byers, a member from the Facebook forum has been talking to GM and Tremec and there is an issue with the transmission being starved of fluid. There may also an issue with GM recommended mileage prior to DCT Filter Change. Anyway he states that he believes GM will make an announcement shortly. Regardless if you believe him or not, my dealer wants about 800.00 to do the DCT Filter change and the top up of the extra 2 quarts. Has anyone done this and does this price sound about right?

Not sure this link will work from Brandon Byers

Paul

Hi,

I don't know if you have been following the transmission issue discussion but it looks like Brandon Byers, a member from the Facebook forum has been talking to GM and Tremec and there is an issue with the transmission being starved of fluid. There may also an issue with GM recommended mileage prior to DCT Filter Change. Anyway he states that he believes GM will make an announcement shortly. Regardless if you believe him or not, my dealer wants about 800.00 to do the DCT Filter change and the top up of the extra 2 quarts. Has anyone done this and does this price sound about right?

Not sure this link will work from Brandon Byers

Paul

I've bought my extra 2 quarts through EBay and will put the fluid in myself using the tilt / gravity flow method through the side port as described in a couple of US forums. A few said it takes much less than an hour whereas going through the top takes a couple of hours for sure.
Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pozi240
I'm not yet an owner (2022 on order), but, I've followed this topic for a while and I know it's controversial to say the least on the other C8 forums. I don't fully agree (I do agree with his maintenance observation fully though) with everything Brandon talks about, however, he has some very valid points and for those that are experiencing transmission failures, I'm quite certain, they would agree. I wouldn't be surprised if GM/Tremec make some changes in the near future with regards to maintenance intervals (initial DCT filter change) and possibly even fluid fill levels. Will be interesting to see what unfolds with GM going forward. For those familiar with other DCT and wet clutch systems (I raced high powered motorcycles for years, and they use wet clutches for example), when breaking in new clutches, you must get that oil/filter out of there in the first 1000kms (or after every race weekend). Trust me, the fibres coming off of new clutches will turn that oil black in no time. In the case of the C8 DCT, I don't think one would have to change the DCT filter every 3500miles (only initially after break in), but,. monitoring the filter media and fluid condition never hurts. At any rate, as long as one follows the GM recommended maintenance instructions (at a minimum), your factory warranty has your back. Cold comfort I know, when you're waiting weeks (or months) for a replacement transmission.
I always go "overboard" with all of my new vehicles when breaking them in. With our 2020 Ranger (for example), it still only has 4600km on it and has had the oil changed twice already, and I changed out the rear differential fluid already as well (you should have seen how shiny that gear lube was, LOL). Gears and friction plates will (and need) to break in as they wear. The dealer didn't even have a recommended change interval for the LSD rear end in the truck, only a "check level" mention. Only "car guys" will get how important the initial maintenance in the first few thousand miles/kms in the life of any car truly is..... Set your car/truck up for success, and you'll be driving worry free for many miles/years. Just my humble opinion. :)

Reactions: CTRL_CV
I don't think Neil H is on this forum, but he is a master tech in Alberta, that used to work for a GM dealership. This is what he had to say about adding extra DCT fluid.

"I do not track my C8 and I will not be adding the extra 2L.
The main reason is that, since this is a manual transmission geartrain, I do not want my gears churning in that high oil level when the extra 2L is added.
I know, they say you can and I know this is a very high quality oil, undoubtedly with extra characteristics engineered in to handle aerated oil.
And it undoubtedly has even more characteristics engineered in to prevent the increased oxidation that normally occurs as a result of aeration.
Anybody still wondering why this oil is so expensive?
These characteristics are also in industrial oils used in compressors and turbines but those have extra reservoir capacity and extra measures to remove the aeration before the oil reaches the pump suction.
I still don't want aerated oil -- it just goes against conventional and traditional powertrain lubrication wisdom.
For me, having that extra 2L in for no reason is just petting the cat backwards.
That's just me and for those who put it in, don't worry, they warranty it.
Also, the oil change interval is relatively short at 45,000 miles or 72,000 kms or at least every 3 years or sooner if driven aggressively or sooner as the OLM indicates."

To me this is an absolute necessity whether you track your car or not, I have been saying this for over a year. To those that say GM would add it if it was, I believe the extra couple of MPG they gain from CAFE and the savings of 2 quarts of DCT fluid over 100 000 plus cars makes the bean counters happy. Why risk possible DCT issues ? I did the add the difficult way removing the airbox but the tilting the car way is super easy.

Hopefully GM/Tremec will make an announcement soon (as stated by Brandon Byers in his video) to clarify what's happening and should be done with the transmission oil and/or filter. If there's an issue, at least most C8 owners aren't putting ++ miles on their cars so hopefully a fix can be made before it's too late. I say "most" C8 owners...however of course there are some who are racking up the miles or making lots of laps on a track.

To me this is an absolute necessity whether you track your car or not, I have been saying this for over a year. To those that say GM would add it if it was, I believe the extra couple of MPG they gain from CAFE and the savings of 2 quarts of DCT fluid over 100 000 plus cars makes the bean counters happy. Why risk possible DCT issues ? I did the add the difficult way removing the airbox but the tilting the car way is super easy.
I c an neither confirm or deny ... but he said

I still don't want aerated oil -- it just goes against conventional and traditional powertrain lubrication wisdom.
For me, having that extra 2L in for no reason is just petting the cat backwards.

I don't think Neil H is on this forum, but he is a master tech in Alberta, that used to work for a GM dealership. This is what he had to say about adding extra DCT fluid.

"I do not track my C8 and I will not be adding the extra 2L.
The main reason is that, since this is a manual transmission geartrain, I do not want my gears churning in that high oil level when the extra 2L is added.
I know, they say you can and I know this is a very high quality oil, undoubtedly with extra characteristics engineered in to handle aerated oil.
And it undoubtedly has even more characteristics engineered in to prevent the increased oxidation that normally occurs as a result of aeration.
Anybody still wondering why this oil is so expensive?
These characteristics are also in industrial oils used in compressors and turbines but those have extra reservoir capacity and extra measures to remove the aeration before the oil reaches the pump suction.
That's just me and for those who put it in, don't worry, they warranty it.
Also, the oil change interval is relatively short at 45,000 miles or 72,000 kms or at least every 3 years or sooner if driven aggressively or sooner as the OLM indicates."
One line stated that they didn't want the gears churning in all that extra oil.. My question is won't the transmission gears be taking what they need to function and leaving the rest in a resovoir? I think of a transmission as these tubular pathways that can only hold what they are designed for... So the extra should be a non issue.. Maybe? Anyway it's way out of my league.. GM recommended the additional for tracking... Tracking is the hardest you can be on the car, so it can't be that bad...

Reactions: pozi240
One line stated that they didn't want the gears churning in all that extra oil.. My question is won't the transmission gears be taking what they need to function and leaving the rest in a resovoir? I think of a transmission as these tubular pathways that can only hold what they are designed for... So the extra should be a non issue.. Maybe? Anyway it's way out of my league.. GM recommended the additional for tracking... Tracking is the hardest you can be on the car, so it can't be that bad...
You pretty much nailed it... high performance DCT transmissions do not have have a traditional "sump" or fluid pan like older, conventional transmissions.... so, the aeriation comment is moot really. The CAFE comment though is what I believe to be the main reason for GM "underfilling" the transmission, and its no small point when you consider the money ramifications.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Sounds much like 1987 when Air Canada removed 1 olive from their on-flight salads and saved $40,000 a year. Next thing GM will be shipping Corvettes with only 3 lug nuts on each wheel and it will be up to the owner to add the other two... If he wants to drive it without a catastrophic failure that is...

I don`t mind trans failures, just the embarrassment of having it towed away in front of onlookers , and dare I say, other so called supercars.
Yeah it's not fun, fortunately my DCT died pulling into the service department as I arrived for an oil change, the guys pushed it in. New transmission at 1460km.

I asked them to add 2 quarts of fluid to the trans and they did. Didn't even charge me for it. Nice guys? Or did GM advise? (Or did they forget and just say they did?) Guess there is no way to know.

Reactions: CTRL_CV
Yeah it's not fun, fortunately my DCT died pulling into the service department as I arrived for an oil change, the guys pushed it in. New transmission at 1460km.

I asked them to add 2 quarts of fluid to the trans and they did. Didn't even charge me for it. Nice guys? Or did GM advise? (Or did they forget and just say they did?) Guess there is no way to know.
I can't even trust my dealer to torque my lug nuts to 140 ft lb , can't imagine them changing my DCT

Last edited:

I don`t mind trans failures, just the embarrassment of having it towed away in front of onlookers , and dare I say, other so called supercars.
How can you not mind? Possibly 3 to 4 weeks while you wait for a new trans... Then they leave your car outback of the dealer gathering dust and bird crap... Then they do a shot job putting it together... You have to bring it back.. It's my automotive nightmare 😭

Duh, When they remove the tranny, the wheels are off and up in the hoist. How would it be moved outside? With a forklift ?
Anyway, I hope it dosen`t happen to me.
The wheels don't need to be removed to remove a transmission. Once it's removed, the car will be lowered and rolled to another location (hopefully protected). You honestly think a busy shop is going to tie up a hoist for weeks while waiting for a new transmission??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.