Mar 16, 2020
Maple Ridge
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 Elkhart Blue
Province
BC
Just wrapped up Day 1 of Ron Fellows Performance Driving School - Spring Mountain. What a day! I’d highly recommend that every C8 owner consider this 2 day program as it gives them a much higher appreciation of the car. This C8 is a beast on the track and when you are exposed to what it can do in a controlled environment, your confidence in the car’s abilities just goes through the roof. A detailed review with break down of the sessions to follow along with more pictures and videos. But for now, here are a few pics to whet the appetite!

Attachments

• 342EB773-07DE-4194-B54E-356AC708FCEC.jpeg
    342EB773-07DE-4194-B54E-356AC708FCEC.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 09DBE4EB-E0A9-4073-A641-F446FC2FA39E.jpeg
    09DBE4EB-E0A9-4073-A641-F446FC2FA39E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 117
  • 18F5590D-6A8A-4E87-8537-F4335134932C.jpeg
    18F5590D-6A8A-4E87-8537-F4335134932C.jpeg
    865 KB · Views: 119
  • 49C0B1DF-C765-447E-BBCD-DED271EEE778.jpeg
    49C0B1DF-C765-447E-BBCD-DED271EEE778.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 118
I always enjoy reading members experiences at Ron Fellows. Brings back fantastic memories with the C7's at RF. Enjoy Dano!! Those memories will last a lifetime.

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
There are lots of driving schools. Several at Mosport too. You can use your own car.

It's the using my own car part that I don't like. I've been on Shannonville plenty of times, the DDR at Mosport, and the big boy track too.

$1000 bucks to thrash someone else's car is a deal!

And it's not as painful if something like this ever happens...

There are lots of driving schools. Several at Mosport too. You can use your own car.

If you do use your own vehicle for any of these driving schools on a track, keep in mind the extra wear and tear on your "regular street" tires (and the rest of your vehicle for that matter). I had the unexpected pleasure of replacing all 4 of my tires after a w/e course. It makes sense when you think of the high-speed cornering and all the rubber tire pieces found on those track corners...but no one mentioned it to me in advance. Others will put on special "track tires" which wear better. But I wasn't driving a Corvette at the time (only a lowly BMW M3) so perhaps (?) the Corvette's tires would wear less? Anyone?

It's the using my own car part that I don't like. I've been on Shannonville plenty of times, the DDR at Mosport, and the big boy track too.

$1000 bucks to thrash someone else's car is a deal!

And it's not as painful if something like this ever happens...

Absolutely a consideration, but that's why Shannonville, Cayuga or the DDT are better choices than the grandprix track. I'm not up on Mosport courses, but there used to be a school with their own cars. Camaro's at one point. I know they aren't there any more, but there was also some open wheel cars at the DDT. Anything there now?

There was (is?) a program at Cayuga where you rent a privately owned super / sports car. It's not cheap, but it's a lot less than a set of tires.
Other tracks likely do the same.

Damn. Wish this was available in Canada. Looks like a blast.
It is and is at a better track than that POS Mountain Springs. It just costs more here.

Also, at Mountain Springs, the first $8k USD damage is on you so you won't drive the nuts off of it unless you too are nuts.

Absolutely a consideration, but that's why Shannonville, Cayuga or the DDT are better choices than the grandprix track. I'm not up on Mosport courses, but there used to be a school with their own cars. Camaro's at one point. I know they aren't there any more, but there was also some open wheel cars at the DDT. Anything there now?
No idea what's running there now. I used to be at the track 2 times a month, and then life just got in the way.

But you are right...Shannonville, Cayuga, and the DDT are soooo much more forgiving than Mosport with the elevation changes and highspeed. They have apparently made things much safer, but stuff can happen at any track. An acquaintance died at Shannonville on turn 1, and someone else I know set his brand new Boxster on fire after he went off into the grass and the hot exhaust tubing set fire to the grass underneath. That was epic.

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
It is and is at a better track than that POS Mountain Springs. It just costs more here.

Also, at Mountain Springs, the first $8k USD damage is on you so you won't drive the nuts off of it unless you too are nuts.
I believe you can buy insurance (for $200 I think) to lower the $8k USD damage amount

I did the Ron Fellows School at Spring Mountain in August 2021. Really good overall C8 program for drivers of all abilities. Most instructors were really good. Lot's of fun, very professionally run and although not quite enough track time for me (I track my cars regularly) it was still educational and well worth the GM subsidized price. Definitely go if you get the chance!!

But you are right...Shannonville, Cayuga, and the DDT are soooo much more forgiving than Mosport with the elevation changes and highspeed. They have apparently made things much safer, but stuff can happen at any track. An acquaintance died at Shannonville on turn 1, and someone else I know set his brand new Boxster on fire after he went off into the grass and the hot exhaust tubing set fire to the grass underneath. That was epic.
Totally agree with you TCinthe6. Shannonville is greater starter course - flat, no elevation, no blind corners, less speed but yes people die on it. Started my Porsche racing there (since sold for the C8) and at the end of the first day of DE, the Porsches came off the track and then a Honda club came out to drive their street machines. 20 minutes later a car does exactly what we were taught not to do - if you have too much speed into the right hander at the end of the back straight, and the left wheels drop off the edge of the track, keep going straight into the run off, dont try to correct as you will flip. Well the car rolled 3 times and the driver and his passenger girlfriend died in the roll. The next day we went to start day 2 in the classroom and the crunched, still bloody Honda was in front of the event centre, and the instructor reminded us the importance of training and the ever present risk. Love Mosport big track, but do another track or DDT to work up to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread