Aug 1, 2013
alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2022 rapid blue
Province
AB
went to move the 2016 out of the way so Ican park the corvette on top the lift and have the lower class mustang on the ground,
No luck dead

So I put the trickle charger on it for 26 hours and nothing

Put a big charger on it at 2 amps and after 20 seconds it began to click like a cat purring for about 4 seconds
and the pause for one second and then click for 4 seconds
what the heck is going on, could not get into glove box, electric is dead,
that is where the manual is
and had to use the key in the rear and the door pull.

Do I try a smaller battery charger tomorrow?

Jeff the lonely and cold

went to move the 2016 out of the way so Ican park the corvette on top the lift and have the lower class mustang on the ground,
No luck dead

So I put the trickle charger on it for 26 hours and nothing

Put a big charger on it at 2 amps and after 20 seconds it began to click like a cat purring for about 4 seconds

Jeff the lonely and cold

Jeffy I don’t think the little smart charger will do much with a dead battery. I would disconnect it from the car and charge it with a proper battery charger that will deliver some amps. The good larger maintainers/chargers (like the genius on I have for my Hummer) will not only charge it but minimize the damage from being full discharged.
Try that for 24 hours or till the charger tells you is complete.
Good luck amigo 👍

Jeff the lonely and cold

Jeff. Not to say a battery that was working fine a few weeks ago won't totally crash and not take a charge at all, but it's still worth a shot at trying to charge again. 2 amp is still just a trickle. My advice (for what it's worth), would be to put a 10 or 20 amp charge on it for a few hours. If your charger was born in this century it should recognize when (and if) the battery reaches full charge and go into float mode and not overcharge. If the battery doesn't want to take a charge, and if your man size charger has a gauge on it, it should tell you if your battery is accepting a charge before too long. The charge rate will typically slowly reduce as the battery charges. (At least mine does).

Reactions: ddgermann
Ok will try that gh to move the car

Jeffy I was not really clear above. I would disconnect the battery from the car before charging it.
Better to be safe than sorry with the current from the charger being rammed toward the electrical system.
Really if you don’t have a larger intelligent charger, treat yourself to an early Xmas gift man. They will do wonders for the battery and take all the guess work out. They charge in cycles and tell you the overall condition of your battery through the process. They will also let you know if your battery is toasted.
There are many brands that do a great job for about the price of a new battery. Well maybe a little more but you get the point.
D

Jeffy I was not really clear above. I would disconnect the battery from the car before charging it.
Better to be safe than sorry with the current from the charger being rammed toward the electrical system.
Really if you don’t have a larger intelligent charger, treat yourself to an early Xmas gift man. They will do wonders for the battery and take all the guess work out. They charge in cycles and tell you the overall condition of your battery through the process. They will also let you know if your battery is toasted.
There are many brands that do a great job for about the price of a new battery. Well maybe a little more but you get the point.
D

Derek has a good point there Jeff. A 10 or 20 amp charge is not close to what a standard 110 amp alternator would put out for a nearly dead battery but better safe than sorry is advisable all the time. Unhook your battery prior to charging.
shocking.jpg

got the mustang on tender

got the camera on tender

disconnected corvette battery and got it on 20 amp charger for the last couple of hours and will continue until tonight

then it goes on a regular charger until the am then back on the 20 amp larger charger for a couple of goes of 135 minutes each

then put it back together and if it starts move it 9 feet and run the corvette plug in trickle mcjarger for the winter

crappy tire has to 7200 charger coming on sale dec 7th or so for 32 bucks off so 115 instead of 145 plus gst

does the 7200 really bring back most batteries from the dead, if so then I better have one

for the record this corvette never goes soft when left for up to 2 months so this was a surprise but it is unheated side of small garage

later Jeff. and thanks

got the mustang on tender

got the camera on tender

disconnected corvette battery and got it on 20 amp charger for the last couple of hours and will continue until tonight

then it goes on a regular charger until the am then back on the 20 amp larger charger for a couple of goes of 135 minutes each

then put it back together and if it starts move it 9 feet and run the corvette plug in trickle mcjarger for the winter

crappy tire has to 7200 charger coming on sale dec 7th or so for 32 bucks off so 115 instead of 145 plus gst

does the 7200 really bring back most batteries from the dead, if so then I better have one

for the record this corvette never goes soft when left for up to 2 months so this was a surprise but it is unheated side of small garage

later Jeff. and thanks

It will likely start up after that effort Jeffy. The maintainer you’re buying does all that for you automatically. But I’m impressed with your effort.
Yes the 7200 will do all that for you and will recover a battery from totally flat if the plates are not completely covered over with sulphates. In some cases nothing will bring them back. But yours is new enough and never been flattened before so it will likely condition back close to 100%.

Jeffy remember to grab the plug in connection for your car as it will work great as a year round smart charger too. They sell the accessories for these chargers as well.

Good luck man.

Reactions: YFCvii
I'm not familiar with the "7200" but most maintainers are not really designed to bring a battery back from total discharge (At least not in much of a hurry).The math is quite easy.... Battery charger amperage is the charge rate in Amp hours (Ah).... Thus a 2 amp charge is charging at 2 amps per hour. A vehicle battery size can be anywhere from 45 Ah and up to over 100 Ah. (not to be confused with CA or CCA ratings) so say 100 divided by 2 equals 50 hours of charge with a 2 amp charger from dead to full (assuming the battery is in a condition to accept the charge. A lot of maintainers note in the fine print directions (yes... there were directions that came with your maintainers....lol...) that they are not really designed to charge a dead battery.

Reactions: Bixter44
I'm not familiar with the "7200" but most maintainers are not really designed to bring a battery back from total discharge (At least not in much of a hurry).The math is quite easy.... Battery charger amperage is the charge rate in Amp hours (Ah).... Thus a 2 amp charge is charging at 2 amps per hour. A vehicle battery size can be anywhere from 45 Ah and up to over 100 Ah. (not to be confused with CA or CCA ratings) so say 100 divided by 2 equals 50 hours of charge with a 2 amp charger from dead to full (assuming the battery is in a condition to accept the charge. A lot of maintainers note in the fine print directions (yes... there were directions that came with your maintainers....lol...) that they are not really designed to charge a dead battery.

Eric some chargers are indeed designed to bring a battery back from full discharge as well as condition the plates with cycles of high amps to move the sulphate off the plates along with monitoring the battery performance and reaction to the conditioning. Due to the expensive batteries I was eating up in my Hummer, I have spent a ton of time researching this aspect of the “maintainer” vs the “smart charger”. The 7200 is just one of many that have this capability. I also have a different one in my garage that will provide all this and a boost function with a timed and monitored high amp push. So lots of different options on these things depending on what brand you buy or just what you’re looking for in a Smart charger/maintainer/booster/...etc

The day is long gone for plugging in the low amp charger and only recovering a % of the battery capacity after a full discharge. The new generation chargers are really quite remarkable in their capabilities.

Reactions: Rruuff Day and Nik
at 505 pm it says fully charged, will leave a small charger on overnight and see in the am
battery is complicated has anyone looked at theirs, not the normal battery
Jeff

You’re right Jeffy there are plenty of things connected to the battery. Once you mine down and find it it looks like a regular 12 car battery to me. Although I never pulled mine out.
Picture Jeff? 😂

Eric some chargers are indeed designed to bring a battery back from full discharge as well as condition the plates with cycles of high amps to move the sulphate off the plates along with monitoring the battery performance and reaction to the conditioning. Due to the expensive batteries I was eating up in my Hummer, I have spent a ton of time researching this aspect of the “maintainer” vs the “smart charger”. The 7200 is just one of many that have this capability. I also have a different one in my garage that will provide all this and a boost function with a timed and monitored high amp push. So lots of different options on these things depending on what brand you buy or just what you’re looking for in a Smart charger/maintainer/booster/...etc

The day is long gone for plugging in the low amp charger and only recovering a % of the battery capacity after a full discharge. The new generation chargers are really quite remarkable in their capabilities.

Totally agree Derek. Thus the "At least not in a hurry" rider on my comment about "most" tenders . You obviously have a much more advanced smart charger than mine. When I don't want to wait 50 hours, I don't rely on them to do the job..... I hook up the big boy.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
For sure Eric. Some of us simply do not need a charger with these advanced features as the little smart chargers are all the car needs to maintain the battery in a corvette when it’s parked and plugged in. Never does the car get allowed to draw the battery down and it always fully but never over charged. Thus a $30 smart unit is perfectly adequate.
I have 2 vehicles parked for at least a month at a time and one of them is sitting for 6 straight months so in all the trials and tribulations I have aquired simply what I need.
I’m by no means saying what I do is what anyone else must do. Although it may have came off that way. Not my intention.
If I had your Vette cave my situation would be much better. 😂. Of course I would have to make it a bit wider to get the other black beast in there too.
Hmmm if I build it would you and the gang come over and wail out some tunes?
Man that sounds like the best thing that could come out of this thread. 👍😂

It’s all good Man 😀

Users who are viewing this thread