Featured Thread
R

RockyPM

So my drivers side sun visor plastic hinge things broke late last year. I’ve been thinking over the winter of what to do and did a lot of reading on the subject. I did place an order for the new ones through MAMW but they were in back order and I didn’t want to have the vanity lights on constantly.
So I fixed it.
I used the 5/32” drill bit shaft approach. I cut two pieces of shaft and then looked closely at the old cover.
I used my dremel to grind a new slot about 1/16” in,from the edge or just inside the vertical side. After a bit of trial and error I ground a groove into the vertical inside edge of the visor so the bit would bite and hold in place.
file1.jpegfile-1.jpegfile2.jpeg
Based on other peoples experience with stretching the spring clips on the mirror I followed the instructions I found online. I slid the drill bits through the clips then brought the visor up tight to the clips and bits at a 90 degree angle to the visor. With a small screwdriver I pried first one side of the bit up onto the visor then the other. You will know very quickly whether the groove cut inside the cover is deep enough because if the bit doesn't stay in place the groove must be made a bit deeper.
When I slid the one side in then the other there was a satisfying "click" as the bit locked into the groove like it was engineered!
file4.jpeg
I didn't try closing the cover at this point. Afriad I would lose my hard work. I used some epoxy to glue in the bits and let sit overnight. In the morning I put some dielectric grease on both hinges and snapped the cover closed.
Inplace.jpeg
It opens and closes much more smoothly than it ever did originally! I still have to sand down the epoxy and touch up with some matte black paint. Once I do that I will show a pic of the cover open and a video of how smooth it is to operate! I cancelled my order for the new visor covers as this worked and didn't cost a thing but an hour or so last night!

So my drivers side sun visor plastic hinge things broke late last year. I’ve been thinking over the winter of what to do and did a lot of reading on the subject. I did place an order for the new ones through MAMW but they were in back order and I didn’t want to have the vanity lights on constantly.
So I fixed it.
I used the 5/32” drill bit shaft approach. I cut two pieces of shaft and then looked closely at the old cover.
I used my dremel to grind a new slot about 1/16” in,from the edge or just inside the vertical side. After a bit of trial and error I ground a groove into the vertical inside edge of the visor so the bit would bite and hold in place.
View attachment 16445View attachment 16446View attachment 16447
Based on other peoples experience with stretching the spring clips on the mirror I followed the instructions I found online. I slid the drill bits through the clips then brought the visor up tight to the clips and bits at a 90 degree angle to the visor. With a small screwdriver I pried first one side of the bit up onto the visor then the other. You will know very quickly whether the groove cut inside the cover is deep enough because if the bit doesn't stay in place the groove must be made a bit deeper.
When I slid the one side in then the other there was a satisfying "click" as the bit locked into the groove like it was engineered!
View attachment 16448
I didn't try closing the cover at this point. Afriad I would lose my hard work. I used some epoxy to glue in the bits and let sit overnight. In the morning I put some dielectric grease on both hinges and snapped the cover closed.
View attachment 16449
It opens and closes much more smoothly than it ever did originally! I still have to sand down the epoxy and touch up with some matte black paint. Once I do that I will show a pic of the cover open and a video of how smooth it is to operate! I cancelled my order for the new visor covers as this worked and didn't cost a thing but an hour or so last night!

Great work on fixing the visor cover.
I removed my vanity mirror assembly on the driver sunvisor and installed a back up camera monitor using a vanity mirror cover as a template to hold the monitor and attach it to the sunvisor.
I have the OEM Nav unit, and there was no provision for adding a BU camera input to it. I didn't want to go aftermarket for a Nav unit, so this fit the bill. Out of sight, flip down the visor to access the monitor for backing up etc.
front camera monitor on sunvisor.jpg

Attachments

• sunvisor camera.jpg
    sunvisor camera.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 22
Nice! What brand of BU camera did you use for that and how is

I bought it on ebay. Just a cheap one but it works great. I think I paid like $30.00 for both camera and monitor. it is similar to the attached pic. I removed the back cover of the monitor and cut off the mount in the back of the monitor so it would fit flush inside the sunvisor. I have a PDF of the monitor install in the sunvisor if anyone wants to see it. I would need an e-mail to send it.

Attachments

• 1.0x0.jpg
    1.0x0.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 22
  • monitor.jpg
    monitor.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.