Sep 12, 2011
Somerset, Kings County, Nova Scotia, Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Coupe
Discovered that our "new to us" C5 was missing all three pieces of the front air dam, well all but a few small broken end bits that is, so ordered a replacement and got it attached today. Test drive tomorrow morning!

Now just have to remove the remaining broken pieces of the amber glass bulb that are hunkered down in the corner of the driver's side turn indicator. Really, how difficult could that possibly be.....

VV
20170712_143132.jpg

Discovered that our "new to us" C5 was missing all three pieces of the front air dam, well all but a few small broken end bits that is, so ordered a replacement and got it attached today. Test drive tomorrow morning!

Now just have to remove the remaining broken pieces of the amber glass bulb that are hunkered down in the corner of the driver's side turn indicator. Really, how difficult could that possibly be.....

VVView attachment 9945

Let us know how many new words you come up with when removing those little pieces of amber glass, it can't be that hard could it?

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I used the video as a guide but didn't lift the vehicle beyond driving it up on some 2" x 6" boards - giving me just enough room to work. Naturally there was one bolt that was almost impossible to get to however once I had my eyes on it once I could find it with my fingers and was able to remove it by feel alone and extract the assembly. As mentioned in the video, bulb heat had blistered the top of the unit so I use J-B Weld to fill the blister and cracks and make the assembly watertight once again. My endgame solution will be to replace the bulbs with LEDs.

I will admit that this procedure was less difficult than I had feared. Perhaps my low expectations were key to this being easier than I expected? Regardless, the broken bulb glass is now gone, the driver side assembly is watertight again and a few strokes of touch-up paint hid some of the road rash on the bumper. Maybe this winter I'll pull the passenger side assembly as chances are it is blistered and cracked on top as well. Or maybe not....

VV
20170713_132036.jpg
20170713_131946.jpg

Let us know how many new words you come up with when removing those little pieces of amber glass, it can't be that hard could it?
I had initially attempted to remove the glass using suction (Shop Vac) and sticky tape on a probe by displacing the ram air tunnel and reaching in and up but while I got a few pieces out, the smaller pieces found their way into a recess and we're content to stay there. Thst was a mostly frustrating effort.

While removing the plastic panel and the whole lamp assembly took longer, it was easier in the long run and enabled the proper fix of all the related issues.

VV

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread