Jan 1, 2014
Calgary AB
VetteCoins
Car
77 Corvette L82
Province
AB
Hey guys!

When I first got my corvette I thought the rubber armrest was pretty useless. It was way to low in my opinion. I got the cushion that goes on top for it and it was pretty good. It squeeked for me though on road trips and got pretty annoying. Also, after I did the Fiero seat conversion it would squeek if I reclined the seats because it flares at the back. So anytime a bump came along you would get some noise. Lastly, I didn't care for the rubber and leather in the center. The rubber felt out of place, and the leather cushion was an obvious fix.

This past winter I decided to try something new. Against people suggestions I made a custom center console and thought I'd share it for anyone interested in making their own!

I started off with the basic steel frame. I got a can of 'Right stuff' expanding foam (+1" gap). I then taped any holes so it didn't spray through to the bottom.

It took awhile to get the basic shape but I added 1" to either side and about 1/2" to the top. All narrowing down to the front. I also had to check the emergency brake to make sure it wasn't affected.

After that I took it to my upholster who I asked to add 3" of foam on top and incorporate my seat design.

Here's how it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_5886.JPG
    IMG_5886.JPG
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5887.JPG
    IMG_5887.JPG
    773 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5902.JPG
    IMG_5902.JPG
    483.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6032.JPG
    IMG_6032.JPG
    500.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6031.JPG
    IMG_6031.JPG
    434.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6143.JPG
    IMG_6143.JPG
    644.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_6153.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6163.JPG
    IMG_6163.JPG
    491.9 KB · Views: 36
Are you kidding? Holy crap. That looks great... very pro custom.... good work... I think you should come to the Ponoka meet and greet this May and show us in person.... :thumbs:

well I give you a A+ for the idea and results . Looks really good and is much better than that cushion thing . A small crossflag embroidered on the top rear would set it off matching the seats . Chev usually had a console emblem ( SS ,Caprice etc ) . Not a big deal . It really looks good and now you have to answer all those questions, " where did you get that console ? " Nice job.

Thanks guys!
Are you kidding? Holy crap. That looks great... very pro custom.... good work... I think you should come to the Ponoka meet and greet this May and show us in person.... :thumbs:
That may be a bit far for me! With the new engine build I'm still working out some issues. Right now it seems to be a bit hot but it's slowly coming down as the engine brakes in. I'd hate to be that far and have an issue. That'd be a bad tow bill!

Are you still running the stock fan and shroud? I put dual electric fans on the front of my 75's radiator and set them to come on around 190 - 200 deg F. Worked pretty well for me.

Pretty sure We could either fix it or find a trailer and get you home, if you did have any troubles coming up to Ponoka.

If you can find a original setup like my 82 has, HD cooling option. Has the big rad and extra electric fan thermo controlled. Mine runs too cold , come fall I put a cardboard in front to try warm it up, no kidding , otherwise kinda cold driving in it with heater full blast. Summer hot day with a/c on the guage has a hard time hitting 190 and usually 170's or 80's is all it can warm up too and I checked with a temp gun at the rad too.

Ya, I'm running the stock fan and shroud. I'm planning on upgrading to dual electric. Unfortunately, with our economy, I haven't been able to work much and I'm just braking even. So all my plans have been put on hold for now.

With my FiTech, it has fan control. So I was planning on hooking it up to that, programming the temp range, and then running an override power under my steering wheel. That way if my FiTech fails I have a safety.

I also have a transmission leak. It's leaking on the cooling lines at the front and at the top of the tranny.

Right now I'm just starting to rebuild the rear end with new offset trailing arms. Thankfully I bought all the parts before work stopped coming in!

I'd really like to come up though. I'll keep you guys updated.

Jr..
I love the console....fantastic work. Fits right in.
I run a ZZ4 crate motor in my '75 and have all stock cooling components,
except for Milidon water pump. I have no overheating issues.
Stock rad, hoses, etc,...
I've driven all over, from Vegas to Edmonton ..
Auto crossed all over Western Canada..never had a cooling/heating issue.
It's important to ensure your rad is in good shape... and that you still run the lower chin spoiler.
YMMV
Graham

Jr..
I love the console....fantastic work. Fits right in.
I run a ZZ4 crate motor in my '75 and have all stock cooling components,
except for Milidon water pump. I have no overheating issues.
Stock rad, hoses, etc,...
I've driven all over, from Vegas to Edmonton ..
Auto crossed all over Western Canada..never had a cooling/heating issue.
It's important to ensure your rad is in good shape... and that you still run the lower chin spoiler.
YMMV
Graham
I am still running the chin spoiler. The radiator I had rebuilt a few years ago. It's the factory but I got them to upgrade it to a four core instead or the factory three. I also have an edlebrock water pump.

Maybe when I have the money to do electric fans I should change it to aluminum.

It's been built quite a bit over factory performance. Bare in mind I only have about 250miles on it so far. I'm still running my break in. The temp has already dropped from 220 to 212 at the max and on the highway it's about 200. I notice it dropping in temp the more I drive it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.