Power User
Mar 27, 2019
Bonnyville
VetteCoins
Car
70th #1259
Province
AB
So who is up for a weekish or so cruise this summer? No agenda, just a laid back drive, no scheduled photo stops, no specific destination. Could go to the usual places or do something different. Lots of cool stuff other than the mountains. Lots of cool stuff in the mountains. Not looking to “organize” other than to post this thread. Anybody? I would cruise with wavers and non-wavers, black or chrome wheels, Amsoil or Mobil One, targa or convertible, vaxxed or unvaxxed, run flat or non-run flat, any generation of Vette, maybe even a Camaro or two (Mustangs need not “apply”), and anybody else who just wants to go for a drive, eat a good meal, drink some good wine, and start over the next day. Come for a day or drive for the week.

Does anyone in Soutern Ontario have similar ideas about a short local cruise? Going to the mountains, west coast that is, is just too far, but looks like they are having all of the fun.

Depends on your definition of short. I am in Toronto and frequently head out north east of the city when I have a few hours. However there are lots of decent roads in the Muskokas, Kawarthas etc and those are generally day trips ie leave at 6am back around dinner

You are not exactly close to me but I am storing my car out near Port Stanley. Hoping to pull it out in early April to get it back to TO. Some good roads down along the Erie coast as well

Does anyone in Soutern Ontario have similar ideas about a short local cruise? Going to the mountains, west coast that is, is just too far, but looks like they are having all of the fun.
If the border ever normals up, day trips to NY/PA can be interesting. Hours and miles of twisty, well paved /fun roads.

If the border ever normals up, day trips to NY/PA can be interesting. Hours and miles of twisty, well paved /fun roads.

Agree but its tough to do in 1 day. Have done a 2 day to Hershey for the Porsche swap meet a few times. Am planning with some other guys to try and do Road and Tracks course that they used in PA for their annual Sports Car of the Year article. Looks awesome

Driving down through the Finger Lakes region of NYS is a great run. Watkins Glen and area are stunning, coming up the east side of Lake Seneca is worth the trip alone. Like car racing? Lots of DIRT Modified racing, Supermodifieds at Oswego and of course the big track at the Glen. I always liked going there because if you need to get home it is a five or six hour drive and you are back.

Agree but its tough to do in 1 day. Have done a 2 day to Hershey for the Porsche swap meet a few times. Am planning with some other guys to try and do Road and Tracks course that they used in PA for their annual Sports Car of the Year article. Looks awesome
Actually I do have a trip planned the week before the Kingston Invasion in June to go with my friend from Ajax and meet another friend at the Old Orchard Beach car show in Maine. Will go through the hills in New York State, Vermont and New Hampshire, pretty country, then after show have a three car caravan back to Kingston for the Invasion. Close to Hershey but no cigar.

Actually I do have a trip planned the week before the Kingston Invasion in June to go with my friend from Ajax and meet another friend at the Old Orchard Beach car show in Maine. Will go through the hills in New York State, Vermont and New Hampshire, pretty country, then after show have a three car caravan back to Kingston for the Invasion. Close to Hershey but no cigar.
Sounds great.

Never heard of the Kingston Invasion but just looked it up and looks like its sold out already

And PCR testing just got pulled. Still need an antigen test but its getting easier to travel and who knows, restrictions may be further lifted by then

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
The promoters of the Kingston Invasion are certainly due much credit for this get together. They plan and then get set back. Nice people dedicated to the Corvette culture. Hope it all works this year. Not sure if you can just go for the day, maybe someone can advise yes or no on that.
The Kingston Invasion has been on hold since June 2020. John and Heather Price set this gathering up and it sold out when I first registered in November 2019 for 2020. Registration I think is around 700. Everything carried forward for two years but some people dropped out. I'll attach the link for the updated flyer and you might still be able to register. This is not a one day thing and you will need badges or lanyards to get your car into the downtown area on Friday and Saturday. For 2019 they were to have a bunch of Chevrolet US big wigs there in the dome, but Covid-19 has put the screws to that. All of the dinner and meeting places had to be reorganized to compensate for social distancing, not to mention double vacs I think Chevrolet Canada has picked it up. Of course if it is sold out you can just show up in Kingston and see all of the cars, but not participate in any events.

Attachments

• 2022 Corvette Invasion Brochure- updated Nov 23, 2021.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • Agree
So……For those more “western based”, here are my thoughts about a nice few day drive. Start up Red Deerish and cruise south. maybe a stop in YYC for some BBQ or at Naina’s for stuffed burgers. Continue south and end up in Cardston . From there work back into Pincher Creek and through the Crows Nest with an overnight in Fernie. Lots of places to stop and explore along the way like the Frank Slide etc…From Fernie cruise up to Cranbrook (stop where ever and whenever) and end up in Fairmont for the night. Maybe spend a day in the Fairmont/Invermere country with a cool drive up to Panarama. Leave whenever and head towards Radium and down Hwy 93 with stops at Lake Louise (open to the idea from Radium through Golden and then back up through the Park to Louise as well). Through Banff/Canmore with an overnight in Canmore (there is a great little Brazilian steakhouse in Canmore). There are lots of cool little shops in Canmore/Banff so could spend some time there as well. East on the hwy to the Kananaskis turnoff then run through to Longview (again stop wherever whenever) grab steaks in Longview and make our way back to YYC. Anybody needs to get home then from Canmore back to YYC through 1A. Cool little drive.

Some prairie running, some foothills, and some mountains. I know the run through Loiuse into Canmore is over used but there is a reason. Downside for me is from Invermere to Canmore there is a shortage of Timmy’s…..

Thoughts. We can talk dates next.

Not looking to “organize”. Stay where you want. Peel off where you want. We can coordinate on the fly where to re-group. Most of us are used to “adulting”. It wouldn’t be my idea to stop and wait for long unless someone had a vehicle or medical issue, then safety becomes # one. I also don’t really care if somebody shows up with a car other than a Vette. Just not a mini-van full of rug rats or something not cool. Yep I am elitist.

I would also suggest mid-June. Mid June beats the inevitable rush with families and campers and beats potential fire season and with it the smoke that sometimes can be a cruise ruiner.

As well I did not indicate every potential place to stop and have a look see. Yes that route would cruise past Waterton and a whole bunch of other cool spots. Your cruise, make it up as you/we go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.