Nov 5, 2018
Dalmeny
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
SK
Is there an easy method to crank the engine without having it start? When I start it up for first time this spring (or after an oil change) it would be nice to get the oil pressure up before it starts. On my older Mustang, I would just pull the coil wire. On my newer Challenger, if you floor the gas pedal and have the brake on then the computer knows this is for a flooded engine and will not turn on the fuel pump. Wondering if there is anything similar to that?

since no one has answered yet, I'll take a uneducated guess at it. Not sure if Corvette has the feature that older GM diesel trucks have, but they have a oil pressure switch that won't allow it to run unless there is oil pressure . So if that is the case in your car then it has what you want and didn't know it. But that is my guess regarding the switch, check with GM or a service manual. Or another shot at it would be to disable the electric fuel pump by pulling the fuse or relay where ever it is located. I'm from the pull the coil wire era so just guessing here.

Oil pressure go up real fast wen you restart the engine after hibernation so no real issue. When I do the oil change, I always fill the oil filter until all air is out so no real starvation. If you realy want , there is a fuse in the underhood fuse block (#13 I think) and also a fuel pump really in the same block. It shoul be indicated in the cover.

Man, I hope I don't screw anybody up here but this is another trick I learned for the C5. If you put your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and crank the motor it will not start (I am not sure what prevents it, only know on mine it will not start). This will allow you to pre lube the motor. Just crank it over for maybe 10 seconds or so and the oil pressure will come up. I do this after changing my oil and filter as well as before actually starting the car after winter storage.

I know it is a leap of faith but it works on my car.

I just found this post by Murray (Black 03 Z06), hope it helps.............................

Hemicat and Ron, I have always been a bit reluctant to share this advice because I don't think starting a motor that has sat for months at WOT is a good thing. I have done this since the car was new and the motor has never started. Gas pedal pushed down until it will not go further. Now this is somewhat odd because the manual says if the motor floods to put your foot to the floor and start the car.

I usually crank it over in a couple of short bursts then for maybe 10 seconds. I then wait a minute and start the motor.

Good luck and if you try it please let us know if it works the same on your car. If not I know an engine builder.:Biggrin:

doesn't make sense to me if the pedal is all the way down that something like spark or fuel is shut off temporarily untill pedal is released. So what happens if you floor it while driving ? does it shut the motor down ? ...I doubt it. If standing a long time it may require extra cranking time to build up the fuel pressure ?? I for one don't like the modern day doo dads and computer controlled everything. Most like the std tranny cause they say they feel more in touch with the car, well I like manual choke and pump the pedal as I'm in control not a computer. But hey if it works that cranking no start trick then give 'er a try.

Reactions: Hotrodron
A couple of things Michael. First of all it is a C5 we don't have to go to WOT for others to know they have been put in the their place so I have no idea what happens when it is running and I floor it.:Biggrin:

I don't expect everyone to believe this is true, perhaps mine is unique but I know this if I went out and just bumped the key it would start immediately but if I floor it it will not. Can't explain it, it just happens.:WillyNilly:

It may be due to this ECM mode:

CLEAR FLOOD MODE
If for some reason the engine should become flooded, provisions have been built into the computer to help clear this out. If during cranking of the engine you depress the throttle more than 80%, the ECM will enter what is called “clear flood mode”. In this mode the ECM commands a delivered Air/Fuel ratio to very lean (usually 20:1). The ECM will stay in clear flood mode as long as the throttle is 80% or higher and the RPMs are less than about 600. As soon as throttle position falls below the 80% threshold or RPMs go above 600, the ECM disables clear flood mode and calculates fuel delivery based on coolant temperature and other factors it normally uses.

A couple of things Michael. First of all it is a C5 we don't have to go to WOT for others to know they have been put in the their place so I have no idea what happens when it is running and I floor it.:Biggrin:

I don't expect everyone to believe this is true, perhaps mine is unique but I know this if I went out and just bumped the key it would start immediately but if I floor it it will not. Can't explain it, it just happens.:WillyNilly:

It’s completely plausible the engine will not receive spark at WOT if there is not a “running” indication to the computer Murray.
That can be accomplished a couple ways. 👍
It’s a good bit of inside information for a nice after hibernation pre-lube.

Have no idea if this is accurate but it sounds plausible thus I credited the guy who wrote it. Sort of explains your car story Murray...

Credit: Ted Hales - Quora

The general rule is you do not need to press on the gas when starting a car with a fuel injected car, the startup routine set by the ECU is to first prime the pump and fuel lines and then as you turn the key (or press the start button) the starter turns over the engine using electricity from the battery, the car’s computer (ECU) then will have a particular injector sequence routine to get the correct amount of fuel for its initial startup and turnover.
Pressing on the gas pedal while starting a car with a fuel injected car will have different results depending on the car and how recent it is. Older cars used a cable attached to the gas pedal which when pressed would pull a throttle wire and eventually would open the butterfly valve in the throttle body, letting more air into the engine. A system of sensors (such as a MAF, MAP, Throttle position and O2 sensors) would detect the increase in airflow and compensate by adding more fuel.
Newer more modern cars now use something called “fly-by-wire” which means that rather than using a physical cable running from the gas pedal to the throttle body, it has a throttle pedal position sensor attached to the pedal, which then sends a signal to the ECU and it will then decide what to do with that input and send a signal to a throttle body actuator which then opens the butterfly valve.
Why this matters is most modern ECU’s have protection routines that ensure that if you happen to be pressing the gas pedal during the startup routine, it will simply not allow fuel to be injected into the engine. The starter will just keep turning over the car’s engine, but since no fuel is being added, you are lacking one of the key elements to run your engine (fuel, spark and air).
What your car does in this circumstance largely depends on the technology being used and how your car’s manufacturer handles the even of having the throttle pedal pressed during startup, but as a general rule, it is never recommended to be pressing the gas pedal when starting up your car.

.....I will take your word for it as I never sat in anything newer than the 93 ( drove it twice ) , nor ever worked on anything with a chip for brains other than a pinball machine. ....:Shrug2:....

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
.....I will take your word for it as I never sat in anything newer than the 93 ( drove it twice ) , nor ever worked on anything with a chip for brains other than a pinball machine. ....:Shrug2:....

Never sat in one newer than 93, but do not like the new models ... Make sure you do not accidentally sit in a C7. That could really mess up your hated for modern cars Michael. :rofl:

doesn't make sense to me if the pedal is all the way down that something like spark or fuel is shut off temporarily untill pedal is released. So what happens if you floor it while driving ? does it shut the motor down ? ...I doubt it. If standing a long time it may require extra cranking time to build up the fuel pressure ?? I for one don't like the modern day doo dads and computer controlled everything. Most like the std tranny cause they say they feel more in touch with the car, well I like manual choke and pump the pedal as I'm in control not a computer. But hey if it works that cranking no start trick then give 'er a try.

Sorry Michael to catch you up to current times, but new cars gas pedals are connected to a digital sensor, not a cable. There is no wirey digerydoo that connects to the butterflies or a throttle plate. It is all electronics and motors. Actually insofar as that goes, it isn't even that any more. It's this crazy stuff called direct injection where it just puts the gas right in the cylinder beside the spark plug. The gas pedal is just there because that is what we know. It could be a bluetooth app on your phone for all the car cares. Neat, huh? New power steering is also electric. So you turn your big old fashioned wheel, and your tires turn because a circuit told it to. Wanna have some fun? Hack your neighbors car. Make it turn left instead of right, or brake out of the blue. Oops, too much information.

So ... 🤔 the cliche of just turning the key (pushing a button) to start is now the rule. I can’t teach my daughter all the rules of car ownership that includes “it’s not just a matter of turning the key” when owning a car ... anymore ... 😂
I’ll just copy and paste Eric’s message for my daughter to learn during that lesson ... 😁 ... thx

Yes. Frighteningly, it is as simple as pressing a button, and then letting the automatic lights, heated seats, heated steering wheel, seat belt reminders, TPMS sensors, traction control, stability control, automatic transmission, lane assist, adaptive cruise, automatic and anti-lock braking systems do their thing as the GPS tells you where to steer, while you swear at Apple car play or Android auto to play the goddamn song you want to hear or better yet, phone your friend to chat for an hour.

No offense intended to your daughter because it sure isn't just kids who do this.

Never sat in one newer than 93, but do not like the new models ... Make sure you do not accidentally sit in a C7. That could really mess up your hated for modern cars Michael. :rofl:

......I can probably guarentee I won't sit in a newer one as they just don't do anything for me. In fact last few days I been on the phone trying to see if I can trade my 93 off on a truck and no dealer wants it. I think I'll just throw it in a sea can and lock the door and forget about it.....:bigyawn:......

......I can probably guarentee I won't sit in a newer one as they just don't do anything for me. In fact last few days I been on the phone trying to see if I can trade my 93 off on a truck and no dealer wants it. I think I'll just throw it in a sea can and lock the door and forget about it.....:bigyawn:......

Perfect plan. Too bad you bought it and can't get rid of it. But it will be a mint condition classic beauty one day so great you are going to preserve it.
Excellent

Sorry Michael to catch you up to current times, but new cars gas pedals are connected to a digital sensor, not a cable. There is no wirey digerydoo that connects to the butterflies or a throttle plate. It is all electronics and motors. Actually insofar as that goes, it isn't even that any more. It's this crazy stuff called direct injection where it just puts the gas right in the cylinder beside the spark plug. The gas pedal is just there because that is what we know. It could be a bluetooth app on your phone for all the car cares. Neat, huh? New power steering is also electric. So you turn your big old fashioned wheel, and your tires turn because a circuit told it to. Wanna have some fun? Hack your neighbors car. Make it turn left instead of right, or brake out of the blue. Oops, too much information.

Yes. Frighteningly, it is as simple as pressing a button, and then letting the automatic lights, heated seats, heated steering wheel, seat belt reminders, TPMS sensors, traction control, stability control, automatic transmission, lane assist, adaptive cruise, automatic and anti-lock braking systems do their thing as the GPS tells you where to steer, while you swear at Apple car play or Android auto to play the goddamn song you want to hear or better yet, phone your friend to chat for an hour.

No offense intended to your daughter because it sure isn't just kids who do this.
.....not sure what bluetooth is or do I have a phone. But I have a portable frequency counter so does that mean I can sit across the street from someone wait till he opens his garage door so that I can grab his door frequency, then wait for him to drive away in his gadget steered car and grab its frequency if it is transmitting one, then I can come back next day pop open his door after programming my remote and when I see him driving I can have some fun steering his car ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.