DCV1

Casual User
Sep 16, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2021 Lt3 Z51 HTC
Province
ON
First sub freezing day I headed out in my 2 month old 2021 C8 HTC Z51 and found a huge crack in the windshield. Looks like it was caused by a stone that hit way up top in blacked out middle section of windshield so was very hard to see until giant crack formed. Called local dealer(Sadlon) and they said go to glass place as they just farm it out. Took it to Speedy in Orillia $1500 installed and couple weeks to get windshield then they need the car for most of day for install. Insurance won't cover it (AVIVA) as the only policy my agent could get has $5000 deductible with yearly premium of $1405. All just FYI-life ain't easy!!

It may not have helped you but I installed a protective layer over my windshield and had some decent stone strikes w/o creating any damage, other than a very small pit in one instance. So the protective coating looks to have worked for me. I paid $199 for it: Supra Clear Armour, was the brand although there are others. Lucky that you got replacement glass; I thought there could have been a ++ delay these days.

Reactions: ShawnC8
First sub freezing day I headed out in my 2 month old 2021 C8 HTC Z51 and found a huge crack in the windshield. Looks like it was caused by a stone that hit way up top in blacked out middle section of windshield so was very hard to see until giant crack formed. Called local dealer(Sadlon) and they said go to glass place as they just farm it out. Took it to Speedy in Orillia $1500 installed and couple weeks to get windshield then they need the car for most of day for install. Insurance won't cover it (AVIVA) as the only policy my agent could get has $5000 deductible with yearly premium of $1405. All just FYI-life ain't easy!!
That is bad. My deductible for Comprehensive is $250.

$1500 installed and couple weeks to get windshield then they need the car for most of day for install.
If you have HUD thats a special windshield they may not know of.

My PPF installer wanted $400 for some windshield protection but I looked up our provincial insurance (ICBC) and as much as I have complained about them, windshield repairs on cracks under the size of a looney are free ie no deductible. Told the PPF guys "foget abowd it."

I'm on my second C8 windshield as a small boulder rocketed at it and caved it in partially (thanks dump trucks). It was $3800 installed by GM with an OEM.
$3800 !! Speedy ordered mine from Chevy so assume OEM and yes I have HUD-Speedy seemed to ask all the right questions so here's hoping-will report back when done if thread still active.

You can get the standard windshield for about the same price as any other car, the HUD will still be readable. Roads in some parts of Canada take decades to improve.

I'm on my second C8 windshield as a small boulder rocketed at it and caved it in partially (thanks dump trucks). It was $3800 installed by GM with an OEM.
Yes, Speedy says in their commercials that they buy the same glass from the same manufacturer. Chevrolet does not make their own windshields.
(I believe it's speedy that says it. One of the glass companies does)

You can get the standard windshield for about the same price as any other car, the HUD will still be readable. Roads in some parts of Canada take decades to improve.

A friend with BMW had a HUD windshield crack and it was replaced it with non-HUD, however she found it blurry and ghosting. It was covered under insurance and she had it replaced with a HUD. I dont think anyone stares at the HUD and I certainly don't use it much, maybe a 1 or 2 second glance so maybe not a big deal. In my case the HUD and non-HUD would cost the same deductible.

The HUD is not a necessity, all information is redundant to the instrumentation cluster. The only place that I found it to be beneficial is in the southwest where deer randomly jump in front of the car. If there`s a high likelihood that the same road countitions will be reencountered frequently, personally I don`t think that the additional expense and difficulty in locating the exact replacement is worth it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread